Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Purpose of having more than one Video/Audio Track?
VideoEditor54321
Member Location: Las Vegas, Nevada Joined: Dec 25, 2010 12:19 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Brand new to this video stuff but have been shooting still forever. So far I'm having really good luck but have a huge learning curve to go through. I've decided to commit to getting through that learning curve and hope to make some pals here.
Is it obvious? What is the purpose/purposes of having multiple video or audio tracks? What does this do?
Thanks a bunch Dell Studio XPS 7100 Minitower:
Phenom II 6 Core 1075T 3.0GHz processor - Black . ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 graphics card . 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz . 300GB 10,000 rpm SATA Hard Drive . 12X Pioneer BluRay Burner . 16X DVD+/-RW . Windows 7 64bit .
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VideoEditor, and welcome to this forum.

Having a number of tracks allow you to switch between them and yet keep organized.
Moving clips, stills, titles /text, picture-in-picture (pip), audio "shot" along with your
camera, music, narration (voice-over) a.s.o.

If you edit stills, you will recognize "layers".
With mulitiple tracks in video-editing, you create "overlays".

The higher number of track (1,2,3,4) takes presidence. It's possible to edit clips in
"high-numbered" tracks for instance by "Modify"-button. You can change size, motion, speed....

Just play around and see what happens,
and when you want something spesific to take place, you come
back and ask again.

Merry Christmas.
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
VideoEditor54321
Member Location: Las Vegas, Nevada Joined: Dec 25, 2010 12:19 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much. Being that all the family went home yesterday, I've had all day to wrap my head around this software and I've had the best time with it. I think I have the jest of what you are saying. I’ll know more tomorrow. Following the online tutorials, I’ve almost completed my first video. I’m so excited. Dell Studio XPS 7100 Minitower:
Phenom II 6 Core 1075T 3.0GHz processor - Black . ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 graphics card . 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz . 300GB 10,000 rpm SATA Hard Drive . 12X Pioneer BluRay Burner . 16X DVD+/-RW . Windows 7 64bit .
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
There are many reasons for having multiple tracks. Lets say you want to do a split screen video or include a picture in picture. For a wedding video I edited I kept my master video in the main video track and inserted my secondary cameras in the other tracks. This allowed me to insert seamless cuts from one camera to another and this kept everything in sync. Often I'll make a slideshow and on the title screen I'll have multiple still images. Using a different track for each image allows me to resize them as I want and add custom enhancements/effects.

The main point of this is multiple tracks allows you to be more creative. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
VideoEditor54321
[Post New]
Thank you James. At this point I'm still trying to image why video from another camera isn't being installed in the first video line but I have 1 day's experience video editing. LOL.
I'll understand it all befor too long. Almost done with my first video. Dell Studio XPS 7100 Minitower: