Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 only pretends to save the project
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
A new learning - at least for me:

When having open a project and deciding to "save the project" it depends on PD9, whether it REALLY saves or only PRETENDS to do so:
When you have not changed anything in your project (movements of the master volume levers are not recognized by PD9 as "changes"!), i.e., the project name has no asterisk added to its name, and you hit "save" (either via menu or via the floppydisk symbol) - the window "saving project" flashes up. But nothing has been saved in reality!

Only, if the asterisk is added to the project name, a REAL saving is performed.

I don't know ANY other software that shows this odd behaviour.
When I press the "save" button, I REALLY WANT that my work is saved. No matter whether I did edit anything or not!

In the attached short videos simply compare the duration of the "Saving..." window - clip0001 shows the fake saving, clip0002 the real one (I open the sound editor only for the "editing" purpose).

Michael.
 Filename
clip0001.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
fake saving process
 Filesize
1193 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
255 time(s)
 Filename
clip0002.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
real saving process
 Filesize
2341 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2010 13:14

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting. Have you tried doing a save as? Whenever I save I normally do a save as and change the file name. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Only, if the asterisk is added to the project name, a REAL saving is performed.

I don't know ANY other software that shows this odd behaviour.

Actually, a lot of software works that way. The MS Office suite is one example among others. It saves time, and it preserves the datestamps on the file.
Quote:
When I press the "save" button, I REALLY WANT that my work is saved. No matter whether I did edit anything or not!

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but why?

I agree with James W, do a save as.
Jerry Schwartz
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but why?

I agree with James W, do a save as.

I admit, that my intention might sound odd, but it becomes relevant as soon as your editing consists of adjusting the main volume(s) - which is NOT recognized as a change of the PDS file.

@ James W: "Save as" in that case only seems to copy the original file - changes of hte main volume are NOT saved in the "save as" - project either.

Michael.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2010 13:15

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
If that's the case then this is truly a bug in the software. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
This has been known for some time. You need to do a contrived edit on a video track and then simply undo then the audio changes will be saved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2010 16:05

Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.