Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power director 9 64bit? and other observations
[Post New]
First, have used Power Director since the beginning of time and got to state probably the best ever at creating video shows of slides and movies. Last version to use was 8 and again no problems to speak of. Only wish I could upload some of the stuff I have created using it. Daughter is a swimmer in college and son a golfer in high school.

Decided to go with number 9 so went to the site and purchased it. After the download, had some issues installing it with the windows errors of 1334 and 1306 referring to a data1.cab file which could not be found when trying to install. Downloading the program from the site and not having the disk, I found I could not open the whole program itself which I found if possible I probably could have done the fix. I'm thinking I should burn the program to disk and then maybe could do some searching through the files to unrar when necessary. I read in some cases if you unrar some of the files in the program before installing, could fix that data1.cab issue.

Went on to the support cyberlink site and the response time was great from customer service. Gave me the direction to re-download the program from a link they gave me and try installing it. Worked like a champ and installed with no issues including the extra content pack. Went to start up the program and got to the main working screen and then the error message came up in the program before I had time to do anything (load pics or audio or adjust some preferences), shut down because of an error.

Big question is I took note to the 64 number in the PD9 name and never gave it a thought. Now I am thinking it refers to 64 bit and could that be my issue because I am running win 7 32 bit. Any thoughts there? Also did update all my video drivers and used a program cyberlink gave me to delete any left over versions on computer before installing new one. Also defragged the drive but now realizing might be a space issue(see next paragraph), but this should not stop the program from at least opening.

I did take note in forums help that it was suggested the drive using the program should have at least 150 GBs or more of free space which I presently do not have (right now about 135 GB's) but I am now making the room necessary.

Big question is does 9 only work with 64 bit machines?

Thanks.

Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16
[Post New]
Scrolling through the forums and take note that PD9 works with either 32 or 64 but obviously, 64 would be better. Have plenty of Ram and good processor, so should be fine with 32 but just confirming if the 64 in the name denotes a 64 bit version or not the case. And even if it is, would think program would recognize 32 and do the correct install. Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16
[Post New]
The same download works for both 32 bit and 64 bit windows.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't had any trouble running PD9 Ultra 64 bit on Windows 7 32 bit. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Thanks for response. Just installed the program on my daughters laptop, 64 bit win 7 and perfect. Did install it and get an error message and shut down, but realized video drivers were not up to date, did so and now works perfect. Also had the virus program off on her's when installing. Her PC is somewhat clean of junk (not many other programs, unlike mine ) and I am sure this becomes an issue with all the other programs and stuff put on pc's over time. Was hoping could get it to work but I am sure it is conflicting with other things on it. Did not install it with virus off so will give that a try. Also have Adobe Master Suite on my pc which has been known to cause some issues with other programs. Updated all the drivers and started to clean the hard drive up a bit so now need to figure out what is conflicting with it. Will post my outcome as I go. Thanks again. Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16
[Post New]
Tried some other things and I get to the start up screen but then the program automatically goes into importing media and then the crash. I have a ton of pictures and videos on other hard drives as well as the C drive in the machine and wondering could the crash be caused by it trying to access all the media and just not working. Is their a way to stop the program from searching media before it does and crashes or is this even causing it. Cyberlink did respond also and suggested I reduce the resolution to 1024 x 768 ( I had it on a much higher setting) and to change the color depth to 32 bit. I am running SLI with the video using two cards so I have the great Res. but if have to drop in order to get it to work can live with that.
Also suggested change the virtual memory settings with this:
1. Right click on "MyComputer"
2. Select Properties -> Advance
3. Click on "settings" under Performance.
4. Select "Advance"
5. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
6. Select "Custom" and enter initial value as "1.5X(where X= Your actual Ram size)" and Max value as "3X(where X= Your actual Ram size)".

Which I have done.

In the words of Arnold S. "I'll be back"! Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

with serious and deep tech there are limits to what
I can comment on. However; during beta-testing of
PD9 (at the time I was on XP 32-bit) we installed/uninstalled
a number of times. In the end, codecses on my computer
went "in a knot"- interferred cross-programs, in ways
I do not know how. I also had Adobe- (just saying...)
Not to contribute worry, but in the end my pc was
beyond cleaning-stage, and a clean OS was the
solution.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
[Post New]
Thanks Nina for the response. I tend to agree with what you say. After installing many programs and codecs and updates and everything else under the sun(was hoping I could get one more program installed and working but....) , it seems the best way is to start over and re-install everything. Have tried a few times to get PD9 up and running since last post and get as far as the start screen but then it shuts down and says close the program. I think my comment about my daughters computer with not a lot on it and PD9 works perfect says it all. Thanks to all for the responses and help.

PS: This says a lot about how I feel about the Cyberlink Power Director and its ability to give exactly what I want to achieve with my limited knowledge, although getting good on photoshop. My daughter uses Final Cut Pro at School on her MAC (yes she has two Notebooks, spoiled kid ) and if I knew how to master Final Cut, would not even be posting now I would guess. But CyberLink PD really serves it purpose for me and the results are exactly what I am looking to achieve.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2010 13:32

Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
The biggest reason so far that prevents PD9 from starting up has been outdated drivers....mostly with Nvidia Cards.

Did you go to the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your OS and card? If you let Windows make the decision then I am confident that you were not prompted to get the latest drivers.

I think in almost all cases I have read so far...updating your graphic card drivers has done the trick. But it is hard to know exactly what version of drivers you are using...it would be helpful if you shared the version here on the forum. Not doubting you at all....just wanting to confirm it.

If you attached a DxDiag file in your next post we could confirm it for you.

I run PD9 on a 64-bit system and my screen resolution is set to 1920x1080 and so far no problems.

Regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2010 14:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I did the same as Nina with clean OS. I also had problems when I first used PD9, but like Nina I had too much junk and ended up doing a clean install and after everythimg worked to perfection.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2010 14:15

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
[Post New]
Thank you for the help. Kevin, agree with you not counting on windows to make sure everything is up to date and I did make sure I have the latest update for my video drivers from Nvidia. Also want to point out that version 8 ran ok on the computer but have added some things since first installing and like twin city said, the clean install (have done in the past with success) seems to work. Also, I use the computer to create literature and other marketing things so it does have a great deal on it. Believe me, do not have the time to spend doing the clean install because to get evertyhing back into the computer takes way to much time. I will also note that the program PD9 is working great on my daughters lap top which is really mine for the most part so I am thinking will just leave it on there and keep that computer clean of any more programs and do my movies on it. Only issue is I use two monitors on my every day computer which is great because it saved time as I created the things I wanted. Could always hook another monitor up to the laptop. Again, thanks all for the offers of help and really appreciate it. Have a great Holiday Season. Windows 7 64 bit, 16 mbs of memory, solid state raid hard drives, latest version of power director 16