Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 9 Consistently Stops Working
[Post New]
Hey all,

Yesterday I updated from Powerdirector 8 to version 9, and after installing everything and using the program, I have been getting frequent and consistent crashes. Specifically, an error message pops up that states "Powerdirector is not responding". This message pops up when I am simply moving one of my clips within my video to a different position on the timeline. Also, it happens randomly when viewing videos or editing features, making this program thus far useless for me.

My laptop is/should be perfectly capable of handling this program. I have an Intel Q720 i7 processor, nvidia geforce gt240m w/ latest drivers, 4 gigs of ram, 500 gb of internal HD storage with plenty of free space, etc.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
KEN-PD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 08:48 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
One troubleshooting suggestion:

For all clips that you want to edit, first bring them (one at a time) in to PD9 and then 'produce' (one at a time) as a separate file, Do NO editing and make sure SVRT is UNCHECKED to force a total re-render.

Try to keep the resolution of the newly saved files the same as the original (ie 480 to 480, 720 to 720, or 1080 to 1080, etc)

Then, from that batch of 'duplicate' files that contain the video clips, try to do the editing you would like.

I have seen occasions where PD9 just doesn't 'like' some clips and tends to be relatively non-responsive. The re-rendering often seems to help PD9 work with the clips much more effectively. If clips get very unresponsive, I also get the blue circle and the 'not responding' box.

Overall I have found PD9 to be much less crash prone that PD8, and once familiar with the some of the new interface techniques, a bit easier to use.

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
What kind of clips are they?
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
[Post New]
.avi file format
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

It's hard to say what might be causing the problem. What Nina was asking for was right on the money. Most likely your problem is being caused by the video clips you are using.

1. How was the avi created? Camera? Make? Model?

2. What are the typical file sizes of the avi's? Short clips (a few minutes)? Long clips (an hour)?

3. What is the scope of your project? How many clips on the timeline? Could you also attach a screenshot showing the entire application open with the entire project visible on the timeline.

4. Could you provide specifics about the AVI video file?

But since an "avi" can vary as much as my favorite chocolate cake recipe ....it would be helpful to provide a bit more information about the "avi" as you can. A simple and effective free app, that we all like to use in this forum is MediaInfo. Just google it and install it. Once it is installed you can right-click on one of your avi's and select MediaInfo. It will generate a report regarding the avi structure. Save it as a text file and then attach it here when you respond on your topic. The information that this report gives is very helpful to us in determining how the avi should react while editing.

5. Could you also attach a 5-10 second sample clip so we can download it and test it on our systems.

6. Can you attach a DxDiag file?

I know it sounds like a lot, but this is the only way we can get an accurate picture of the files you are using, the system you are using, and the scope of the project you are attempting to make. Without the information we are going to be making guesses and not really know what the problem might be.

Regards,

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Kevin,

All of my video clip files are in .avi format because I converted their default formats from youtube to the avi format via the conversion program grab-tube (just for format unity). As of now, on my timeline there are 13 video clips, with apparently a total data size for my project at 322 kbps, (file -> project properties) which doesnt make any sense to me. There are video clips over a megabit in size, so it adds up to a larger amount. So far the length of my video is 3:54 seconds, and the largest video clip is 2.12 MB.

How would I determine the correct aggregate file size of the project I am working on ?

Also, I was thinking of possibly trying to start a blank new project, and then basically importing all of my media files from the current project into the new one, as a refresh measure.

What you have mentioned I'm sure would help the cause, but I'd like to try any 'quick-fix' methods that maybe I'll get lucky with before digging up & posting all of the necessary info on these files.

Lastly, what about a reinstall of the program ?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again,

apparently a total data size for my project at 322 kbps, (file -> project properties) which doesnt make any sense to me.

The project file for Power Director is relatively small because it doesn't actually have any of your video clips in it. The project file serves as a "pointer" to the location where the clips live on your PC. So when you import the video clips they aren't actually imported into PD9. I thought I would offer the explanation.

As a test to eliminate your avi's as the possible cause.....can you edit smoothly and consistently using the SAMPLE media files"...There is only one mpg clip....but if you can edit with PD9 with this sample mpg and things operate normally, then this would indicate the avi's as the problem. But from the sounds of it...your project isn't overly taxing. There have been examples of people importing 30-40 GIG avi video files and are trying to edit them....files that big can usually cause problems, even for the more powerful PC's

You can try to uninstall/reinstall to see if it improves...but experience has shown me that in this case it probably won't work.

The reason I wanted to have you provide a DxDiag file is to check all the drivers you are using. Many problems have been corrected by the installation of the latest drivers available. This means going directly to the manufacturers website and downloading the appropriate divers for your graphic card....and Operating System.

If you upload a sample avi 5-10 seconds I can get the specifics about the file myself. Not a problem.

As far as "quick-fix"....I am not sure what else to offer you....some types of video files cause video editing software to struggle because of their proprietary nature. I am not familiar with the Grab-Tube format....but I have had some experience with Capture programs and the avi files they produce. I have had plenty of trouble trying to import them on my 64-bit OS system.

Maybe someone else will have an idea of what you can do....but my requests are pretty much Standard Operating Procedure. Without specifics...we guess and waste most of your time and ours trying to come up with solutions based on not much indformation.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 20:41

[Post New]
Attached is the Dxdiag file...I will continue posting advised information on this that would help you help me
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
489 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 21:08

[Post New]
Here is a sample .avi clip that I am using
 Filename
OO_YgE9HWyE.avi
[Disk]
 Description
.AVI Sample Used in my Project
 Filesize
306 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
429 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
As per a previous suggestion, to see if it is the AVI format that is causing all the problems convert your video into mpeg-2 HD format. PD9 works well with it and is of much higher quality. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
HDedit,

Would I go about converting the entire video by selecting the "Produce" menu and simply converted to MPEG-2 ?
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Here is the MediaInfo on the avi:

Resolution - 320X240
Bit rate - 302 Kbps
Aspect Ratio 4:3
fps - 25

Filename
Andrew.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
355 time(s)

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
NTSC frame size and a PAL frame rate!

Mpeg 1 PAL = 352x240 25fps
Mpeg 1 NTSC = 320x240 30fps.

The avi is a mis match size which if used in PD may throw it out.

I haven't tried the avi - still to download.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 21. 2010 04:42