Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Laptop suggestions to handle PD9?
[Post New]
I need a new laptop ($1500-$2000 range) that offers enough power required for PD9 to function well.

I'm processing files from a Canon Vixia HF S21 camcorder with the following capabilities:
AVCHD: 1080/60i @ 24, 17 Mbps; 1440x1080/60i @ 12, 7, 5 Mbps

Anybody have such a thing, tried and true, that they like?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim,
welcome.
I have the HF 21 and my DV7t functions quite well until I start adding fixes. The more I add, the more it trips up a bit. Just pips is ok, it's the fixes that seem to tax the system a little. You should know what your must-have list is.
Screen size
Graphics card (ATI/Nvidia)
OS 32/64
Memory and type
7,200 RPM and size of hard drive.
Which ports do you need, and even which side you prefer them to be on. What did I forget? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim,

just curious, and not much help to your question,
I'm afraid;
why do you want a laptop (for editing)?

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
[Post New]
Thanks for the list, Baryddth. Sounds like I'll need more than what you've got. I tend to make 5-6 minute short films mostly, but when many files are involved, I too encounter the issues you mention - and now a hard drive failure to boot.

I was looking at the ASUS G73Jh for under $2K:

Processor: 1.6GHz Intel Core i7-720QM
Memory: 8GB RAM
Storage: 1TB hard drive
Optical Drive: DVD±RW
Screen: 17.3 inches (1,920x1,080 native resolution)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1GB)
Weight: 7.4 pounds
Dimensions (HWD): 2.2x16.3x12.6 inches
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Full review: http://computershopper.com/holidayguide/2010/asus-republic-of-gamers-g73jh

Sounds like heaven for my limited price range - but they often do. Need to do more research.

Hi Nina, as a freelance designer by trade, I need a laptop on the go for cross-country business meetings/trainings, not to mention road-trips and cruises for the travel portion of my blog. When I go, I want full capability/portability and I can't afford two systems having just replaced our camcorder - after dropping mine to the bottom of the Atlantic on a rough and tumble kayak trip. Truth be told, I mostly need portability to travel room to room. If I lock myself in a home office, my rotating family of mischievous rescue animals destroy the rest of the house.

That said, battery life is not an issue, nor is port side, Baryddth. I move around a lot - from side to side even - but always in range of an outlet.
[Post New]
Kim;
When you are looking for a high-performance laptop for video editing it is very similar to laptops that are optimized for GAMING! The requirements are similar and prices are usually higher than a "normal" laptop.

My "watchpoints" are:

1. 64Bit CPU and OS (quad core or better) like the Intel Core i5 or i7 on Windows7
2. Plenty of memory - 6GIG min. (lots of FREE memory upgrade deals at time of purchase exist)
3. Drive space 750GIG to 1TB
4. ~1GIG dedicated video memory (I like Nvidia but won't start a war over this here)
5. 15-17" screen size (touch screen is an upcoming "standard" offering)
6. DVD/Bluray Burner (BDXL is coming (100GIG Disk) but not really needed right now in my opinion)
7. WAIT until after Christmas if possible.

Keep in mind that any machine with these capabilities will, most likely, burn a hole in your thighs if you try to use it as a true "LAPTOP" for any extended period of time. also, some have been reported as having loud fans..so watch for this in your search.

I do NOT recommend one Manufacturer over the other. Having said that, Alienware specializes in Gaming Machines and HP has the most build-your-own options.

My brother recently got an HP Touchsmart 600 and (although this is NOT really a laptop so if moving around is key, these aren't it). I like the specs and form-factor of this machine (look at all the FREE stuff they give you) (he says it is whisper quiet):
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/desktops/600q_series/3/computer_store
or it's little sister:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=TouchSmart+PCs&series_name=600xt_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/TouchSmart_PCs/600xt_series
Good luck in your hunt.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 14:01

[Post New]
Thanks, Fred. Looks like I started searching in the right frame of mind. The ASUS is a gaming machine with all the bells and whistles you list - minus the touch screen. I'll be comparing it with those helpful links you sent.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether I can wait until after Christmas. My machine is on it's very last legs and I need it for work - not to mention some very serious PLAY.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The laptop you want is basically what I have, but I have the faster processor. I suggest you at least match those specs. I chose the faster i7 and the whole thing was $1,700.
Unless you play a lot of shenanigans in your time-line like I do, you'll be fine.
But...lugging around a 17" laptop for a year got old, plus these machines can put out a ton of heat in your car in the summer.
So...I bought it's baby brudder (see signature), which, although rather underpowered, still runs PD 8 and 9 well enough to make slideshows and edit small HD projects.
Again, 17" laptop, heavy, expensive, nice target for a thief.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Thanks, Baryddth.

I think I have a new plan of attack, especially having learned so much about what I need from this thread.

I checked out the ridiculously SWEET desktop link shared by Fred and I'm almost positive I'm going that rout while reviving my currently failing laptop for travel with a new $100 hard drive. This gives me two machines for just about the price of one, especially with this offer and free upgrades I found:

http://www.logichp.com/2010/02/15/470-off-hp-touchsmart-600-quad-series/

Got my finger hovering on the order button but giving myself until Sunday to decide. This pops us into our next billing cycle on the credit card while still grabbing the offer the day before it expires. Awesome Karma there.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kim

I use a Dell Studio 17 inch.

The details of which are below my signature.

I've found this product to be more than capable of dealing with my HD video files.

Depending on what part of the world you are in you might not get the i7 processor. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

The Oak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2010 08:17 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Having an I5-520M ... dual core, 4 threads ...

My next laptop is DEFINITELY going to have as many cores as my wallet can afford

I created an hour HQ DVD in about 35 minutes including burn.

Creating a WMV 9 HD HQ from the same project took 4 to 5 hours.

I am sure an I7-740/840 with 4 cores and 8 threads would have kicked in nicely there.

I would definitely consider a bluray burner as it is the future.

A graphics card supported by PowerDirector would obviously be a plus. PD does not seem to like my AMD 5470.

As much RAM as you can afford. With that being said ... RAM is EASY EASY EASY to upgrade later. If you have a choice of $100 for RAM or $100 for CPU ... I would evaluate and drop the money on the CPU first as you can't upgrade the CPU later.

Same thing with a hard drive. As far as laptops are concerned, they are EASY EASY EASY to upgrade later. 7200RPMs is REAL nice. Size though can be upgraded later if needs be ... or even the utliization of external drives too.

eSata interface is REALLY nice too for external drives ... super fast compared to USB 2.

I hear USB 3 is really slick too.

Edit:

The 17 inchers eat up the battery much faster than the 15 inchers. It might even be fair to say they last half as long as a 15 incher.

If you have it plugged in alot, then that is not too much of a big deal ... otherwise your mobility time will be reduced.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2010 17:58

Dell Studio 1558 (laptop) * I5-520 * AMD HD 5470 * 4GB RAM - 1066MHz DDR3 * 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive * Windows 7 Pro 64 bit * BluRay Burner