Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[SOLVED] Changes from PD 8 to PD 9
[Post New]
I just upgraded and started working in PD 9. Moving clips around on the timeline does not seem as easy as in PD 8 unless I'm doing something wrong. In PD 8 I could moves clips around on the video track with simple drag and drop. When I move a clip on the timeline in PD 9, it leaves a gap in the timeline in the spot where I moved the clip from. Then I have to move all the clips behind this point to keep everything together. I also noticed that when I changed the duration of a title on the Title track, it pushed another title, that was further down the track, down by a second (the amount I changed the duration of the other track). As I recall, in PD 8, the other title would have stayed put. It just seems like more of a challenge to keep everything in place on the timelines in PD 9. I'll keep playing with it and maybe I'll figure things out. Any tips for keeping things in place? I tried to group a couple of items on separate tracks but they didn't seem to stay together on the timeline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 07:20

Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Lock the tracks?
Group your media together
Unlink your media
Gap = Right click, close gap
PD8 Main Track was closed to PiP track movement, PD9 isn't.
Move a clip and a gap forms = good
Title duplication and expansion - yes, you need to plan more and not assume - we now have multiple tracks and your new editing skill comes into play.

A title can be placed in any video track - no longer in one dominant title track.

PD9 is a new beast and it does still have issues to fix. Some of us who have used 9 for the last few months know PD9 is offering us some super capabilities.

Take it steady Roger and work your way through the functions. By all means stick in a Howto question for members. Don't load a lot of questions in one thread...

You have to plan more and think about adding more tracks for specific tasks. It is really good "fun".

Dafydd
[Post New]
Dafydd, thanks. You made good points and have offered good tips. I should have used "linking" when I was using the "group" feature. Yes, I need to just spend more time using, reading and learning. I just got a little too anxious to make progress but should have studied more and not jumped right into the forum with all the questions. Your help and guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 07:30

Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330