Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jerky Apple TV 1 playback
JerryH1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 07:14 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Have already received good advice on this forum to create a custom file format that allows 24 fps playback on Apple TV Version 1. However, the resulting movie plays back jerkily. See earlier thread extract below:

I'm guessing that the original 8mm cine I'm editing that was converted to digital is developing harmonics with the original frame rate of the cine camera when played back at 24 fps(the only frame rate that works on Apple TV Version 1. Version 2 is apparently the more common 30 fps). Can you think of any way around this either when I produce the movie, or when I edit the media?

For example, in the custom profile settings, I have the option of changing stuff like Entropy coding and Rate control (mode, Average bitrate, Maximum bitrate) and Advanced (speed quality indicator), as well as whether I use deblocking or not. Is there a tweak to the profile settings you can recommend. >>

>>This is tricky and will require some experimentation. I shouldn't think the Entropy Encoding setting will make a difference but I would try changing the Frame Type from Progressive to Top field first using Main Profile. If this doesn't work try with Deblocking turned off.

I don't want to do lots of experimentation, which takes hours each time, if there's an expert out there who can tell me what to change to smooth out the Apple TV playback (by the way, it's smooth when played in itunes on a PC).