Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 Ultra to PD9 Ultra upgrade...what happens to PD8 Projects...
ADERBAD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 18:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

Sorry if this has been covered before...But i placed a question for CL support on this issue and got the following response

"Yes, I regret to inform you that you would need to redo all your incomplete projects in PowerDirector 9 or you better complete them in PowerDirector 8 before installing the latest one. "

My question is what is an incomplete project?
By definition, I should be able to go to a project and modify /add/ delete something and generate a new video.

Does it mean what I think, that once I install PD9, I would have to redo any work I did in PD8?

Thanks
Aderbad

" Want to upgrade but scared of losing all the work"
[Post New]
I'm sorry I don't know the answer but it's a good question. I would hope that projects completed in PD 8 could be opened in PD 9 but if not, that is a big issue. Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I only tried it with one project, and it wasn't pretty. I wound up having to redo all of the transitions, for one thing. Jerry Schwartz
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Some projects will open. Others will have trouble. I couldn't tell you what the common factor is. If you still have the installer for PD8, then I would suggest that you install the trial version of PD9 and try it. If you don't, maybe a restore point will work. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14485.page
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Completed PD8 projects will load into PD9 quite well and render very close to what PD8 would have generated. As Jaime-esque has stated , there will be a few situations where that may not be possible. The reason is the added features of PD9 not being able to fit that of PD8. Upward compatibility in software is only a dream. Win 10, i7
ADERBAD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 18:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone!

I had hoped that would be the case....its just that the customer support statement had me a little (actually a lot) concerned, and deciding on whether it would be worth the hassle to upgrade.

Cheers
[Post New]
Aderbad;
Can you post your DXDIAG file here so we can look at the machine specs for running PD9?

See PArt B on the link below:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't really recommend editing PD8 project files with PD9.
Most probably you'll get difficulties with transitions (they mostly get simply lost).
Second, it looks as if title objects with longer text are a problem for PD9.
And third, there is a major issue concerning the 'mute clip' settings - it is neither imported nor stored in the new format.
BE CAREFUL: A PDS saved by PD9 can no longer be opened by PD8 !!
I have made a 1:1 image backup of my system partition containing PD8, installed PD9 for testing.
If you encounter too many problems with your project files, revert to PD8 by simply re-installing the image backup (without recommending a certain product, I use Acronis True Image Home 2011 and it works perfect for that. It even will allow you to use a "trial mode", creating a protocol of changes, which can 100% be undone if you don't like PD9, or keep the changes, if you decide to keep PD9 - in case that you have not enough diskspace for a 1:1 image backup).

Michael.