Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[Solved] PD9 hangs on startup - FAQ issues
JerryH1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 07:14 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
FAQ recommends going to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx to update driver (even though laptop drivers automatically updated by W7 and confirm 'all up to date')

Have Dell XPS M1330: Nvidia page says: If you own a Dell Inspiron 1420, Dell XPS M1330, Dell XPS M1530, or Dell Latitude D630/D630c it is highly recommended that you first install this Dell software update (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/recommended_software_updates_uk.html).... which doesn't exist

Help! Update driver vs Don't update ('cos PC says its already up-to-date). Dell's own support section for my laptop equally unhelpful / dangerous to guess.

and in the meantime, I can't get PD9 to run unless I do a hard reboot each time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2010 10:11

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Windows won't update your driver automatically if it doesn't find that there are any problems. You would need to update manually by downloading the specific graphic card driver for your graphic card and operating system to have the latest version on your system.

There have been some instances where certain users can't update the driver because of certain situations. It has been reported that when the driver is attempted to be installed a message is displayed that the hardware is not recognized. I don't know if that is your situation.

Have you downloaded the driver manually and then tried to install it? Save the driver to a folder on your PC, and once it has completed, try to then install it.

If you could run a DxDiag....then we caould try to help. Get to your RUN command on your PC....type in DxDiag...then select OK...then select SAVE ALL INFORMATION...then save as a TEXT file. ATTACH this text file to your next post using the ATTACHMENTS button so that it will be included with your next post.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 07:42

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help Cap'n.

Attached is file as requested. I won't fart about with driver until you tell me the one I'm using is causing the hang on startup prob.

ta
 Filename
jerryh.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag output
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
[Post New]
JerryH1;
After looking at your DXDIAG, I am sure that Cap'n Kevin will agree with me (he must be out on the boat fishing) that you need to update the drivers. Make sure you have a RESTORE POINT or know how to "rollback display drivers" in case of disaster.

EDIT: The FAQ recommendation is a Dell SBIOS update (to version A15 below). Other software recommends this update also (after a google search I see). I am not sure the BIOS is regional, so the link below may be valid for your machine. DELL support should be able to get you a link to the proper pages:

A15:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=XPS_M1330&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14178&libid=1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&catid=-1&impid=-1&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&releaseid=R207196

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 15:44

JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Woohoo!

Bios updated, Video driver updated, PD9 working again! Now all I have to do is produce an Apple TV 1 compatible movie and heaven will have been reached.

Thanks all.