Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I save for Apple TV
JerryH1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 07:14 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
When I select Apple as a preset device, I am only offered ipod or ipad. What format do I select for Apple TV (1) to play a movie created by Powerdirector 9?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Just taking a quick look, it looks like the iPad/iPhone HD Quality should be the correct size. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will try it, but suspect there will be a difference due to the vastly different screen sizes. I'm also sceptical having just received an official reply from Cyberlink:

I understand that you are using CyberLink PowerDirector 9 and you want to save a project in the format which is compatible with Apple.

I regret to inform you that there is no any way in which you can save project compatible with Apple.

I regret for the inconvenience.

So I guess I have to go the long route that I have always taken in the past... produce in one format, and then use a conversion tool (like emicsoft) to convert to Apple TV (goodbye another 2 hours).

I suppose Apple is not a common format to worry about these days..... (sorry - grumpy British humour)
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
From the Apple TV website supported formats:
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

From mediainfo from a file rendered for Apple iPad:

sure looks to me like they support Apple!!! Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope - Apple TV V1 doesn't like ipad format....

In fact intriguingly (actually I mean balls-achingly annoyingly) when I select the movie which I produced as ipad format and saved in itunes and then waited the inevitable hour for it create an Apple TV version (there is an option to do this in Advanced), I get all the sound and no picture at all. The original plays fine in itunes however.

How I hate all this compatibility bollocks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 06:17

Bernd1948 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jul 10, 2008 10:18 Messages: 3930 Offline
[Post New]
see Build

[Thumb - Screenshot_2010_12_06_12_37_04.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_2010_12_06_12_37_04.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
257 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
227 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot_2010_12_06_12_41_12.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_2010_12_06_12_41_12.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
242 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 06:42

Gruß Bernd
Technical support:
DE:
https://de.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Just like Apple to make things complicated. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I deal with this ALL the time. I don't make movies that are very long so the process isn't that arduous. Maybe when Apple sells a bunch more Apple TVs we will see more direct support for the format! Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
From Apple:

QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

One of the things I got caught on was the 24fps vs. 30fps. The "old" apple TV can't play HD 1280 by 780P at 30fps, you have to use 24. Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So which setting do I use to produce direct from PD9? ipad profile is 30 fps
KEVIN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2010 22:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Don't select the Device tab, select File instead and choose MPEG-4. Then, select the + sign under the country format and create a custom profile. Under video, choose 1280x720 and then 24 for the frame rate.
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Making great progress! Thanks Kevin. Have successfully produced an Apple TV 1 movie from PD9 (despite Cyberlink helpdesk saying it can't be done). But..... it's jerky. I'm guessing that the original 8mm cine I'm editing that was converted to digital is developing harmonics with the original frame rate of the cine camera when played back at 24 fps. Can you think of any way around this either when I produce the movie, or when I edit the media?

For example, in the custom profile settings, I have the option of changing stuff like Entropy coding and Rate control (mode, Average bitrate, Maximum bitrate) and Advanced (speed quality indicator), as well as whether I use deblocking or not. Now clearly this is all total bollocks to me, but to a PD god like you, I'm sure there's a tweak you can recommend.

Ta

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2010 17:38

KEVIN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2010 22:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
This is tricky and will require some experimentation. I shouldn't think the Entropy Encoding setting will make a difference but I would try changing the Frame Type from Progressive to Top field first using Main Profile. If this doesn't work try with Deblocking turned off.

The original media type shouldn't matter once successfully imported into PD9.

And by the way, I am by no means a PD "God." There are chaps on this forum that know much, much more than I do. I have an Apple TV which allows me to reply with a little more context, that's all.

By the way, you should consider the NEW Apple TV, just picked one up and I like it better than Version 1.
JerryH1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately, experimentation takes many hours, so I'm going to start a new thread to see if those PD gods can home in on the setting I need to change.

Many thanks again for all your help.

By the way, I'm sticking to ATV 1 for the moment because once synced, I don't have to reply on both an ATV and an itunes PC working perfectly for music etc to play. I've had plenty of experience of hardware failing for one reason or another.