Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Grouped clips - it's not a bug, it's a feature (so they say)
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Here's the behavior:

• Start with a new project (for the sake of simplicity).

• Add four clips to the timeline.

• Make sure you are in "clip" mode.

• Play a little of the third clip, and hit the stop [] button (not pause). The scrubber will return to the start of the third clip. That is as (I) expected.

• Now play the third clip all the way through. The third clip will play to the end, then the scrubber will return to the start of the third clip. It will not play the fourth clip, because you are in "clip" mode. Again, all is as (I) expected.

• Here's where the fun (pain) starts: select the second and third clips and group them (right-click, group objects).

• Play a little of the third (or second, it doesn't matter) clip and hit the stop [] button. The scrubber will jump to the beginning of the timeline. That is not as (I) expected.

• Now play the second clip. Play will continue through the [/i]third[/i] clip. That makes sense, because the two are grouped.

• What does not make sense to me is that it will go on to play the fourth clip. Not only that, but at the end of the fourth clip the scrubber will jump back to the beginning of the timeline!

• In other words, if you put the scrubber anywhere in a group of clips, there is no such thing as "clip" mode. The program shifts into "movie" mode without any warning.

Imagine that you group two clips together, and they're an hour into your movie. If you want to get exactly to the start of the grouped clips, you've got a problem.

CyberLink assured me that this is a feature, but for the life of me I can't imagine what good it is. If they want to believe it isn't a bug, well fine; but it is at best a design flaw. Jerry Schwartz
    Cap'n Kevin
    Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
    [Post New]
    That's a GOOD ONE!! It did exactly as you stated. Not very helpful if you are in CLIP mode! It played right through to clip#4.

I don't recall that ever being observed during beta testing. Let's add it to the LONG list!

Kevin
    Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
    JL_JL [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
    [Post New]
    Good catch, that would be bad as you describe. The other odd thing is you loose the ability to size the clip in the preview window and you loose the blue cross hair, just another indication that you are really in "movie" mode for those two combined clips even though it says "clip" mode.

Jeff
    Cap'n Kevin
    Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
    [Post New]
    Another good catch Jeff...I didn't try to resize the clips as you did. It seems to be only beneficial if you want to move the group around...not much else.

You also can't apply any Fix/Enhance, Power Tools, Split, Modify...etc. once they are grouped.
    Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
    Cranston
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
    [Post New]
    I concur with all above, for whatever that's worth.

I quickly learned that the Group option is very quick and useful tool for a "bulk moving of assets". But then one should immediately Un-Group, or things can start to get weird. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
    Robert2 S
    Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
    [Post New]
    If you only use Group to bulk move assets why not just click first hold shift click last then drag to new location? Or if you want to get more technical but more risky use cut and past. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
    Cranston
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Robert,

You can’t grab various individual clips and images scattered across 6 separate tracks, by holding Shift. But yes, one can by holding Control.

But the advantage (or disadvantage), of using the Group tool, is that the chosen clips continue to remain grouped until you ungroup them. So upon review, if you find you missed your new mark by a few frames, you can easily continue to make minor adjustments to fine tune the group placement a number of times, till you get it fine tuned to the perfect placement you want, without having to do a Control hold to group all clips again, for each of those few fine tuning adjustments.

However, once you’ve fine tuned your group to your desired final placement, and then forget to Un-Group, one can get some undesired or unexpected behaviour when continuing to edit the project, owing to that grouping still being grouped.

But you’re right Robert. It is kind of a “six of one - half a dozen of another”, type thing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 02:43

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
    vn800rider
    Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
    [Post New]
    I think the bug is that the clip/movie mode indicator remains on clip. All "other" indicators characterise the group as "movie".

I treat PD9 a little like driving in traffic - just because the guy in front has his left indicator on (but appears to be doing everything to turn right) means I think he's probably turning right but indicating left.

In the subsequent court action, he would say it was a feature of his driving, my lawyer would say it was bad driving and no doubt the judge would decide.

In another area (for me in preliminary testing, anyway) you can choose a number of parameters by customising a production profile, but the resultant file doesn't have those parameters if you use hardware acceleration, but does if you switch HA off. The equivalent of indicating right but turning left??

Cheers
    Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 03:10

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
    Confucius
    AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
    Cranston
    [Post New]
    The signal lights analogy is an excellent analogy Adrian.
    In fact it would be superb, if not for the fact that you guys drive on the wrong side of the road in the first place.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 04:04

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
    vn800rider
    Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
    [Post New]
    Maybe CL should sell PD9 "customised" for different countries' driving rules? Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
    Confucius
    AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    I reported it, November 18th.

Ref: 99/131

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 05:13

Aspie96 [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2016 09:50 Messages: 1 Offline
    [Post New]
    I know this is a very old post (7 years now).

AND THAT'S WHY THIS PROBLEM SHOULD NO LONGER EXIST.

Also, it happens when I connect audio and video from separate sources.

That is really, really, really annoying.

There can be a lot of reasons to join audio and video (in my case, I edited the audio separatetly: Audacity does a better job in removing noise).

I did not group them, I joined them.

> CyberLink assured me that this is a feature

It is not, it's a straight up bug.

Unless annoying costumers is a feature.