Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu ray keeps pausing through movie for split seconds
SILENTD19 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 05:44 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've checked all of the forum (and internet) with no luck.
I have been using PowerDVD10Ultra Mk2 now for some time, with no issues, even with recent 3D movies - HOWEVER;
Recently I have found a number of new blu ray titles which have being problematic (Robin Hood, Prince of Persia, Ironman 2), whilst all other blu rays, including some new ones such as Christmas carol 3D seem to have been fine (especially the older movies).
What happens is that every so often the audio & video pauses for a split second (say 1/2 second) - and can occurr at intervals of anything between 30minutes & 10 seconds, and as often as anything from once or twice during the film, to upto 5-6 times per minute.
These are completely random.
After spending days watching the same 10minutes of Prince of Persia (!!!) I have narrowed it down to being something to do with the SPDIF output, as no matter if I watch it on my monitor or projector, the movie plays fine through my stereo PC speakers, but occurs when playing it through my DTS amp using the SPDIF out.
My set-up is as follows;

MBO: Asus Striker 2 Formula Nvidia nForce 780i chipset, with onboard sound (soundMax driver from ASUS + Nvidia sound drivers)
CPU: Intel E8400 Dual Core
GPU: Nvidia GTX 480 - Hadware Accelerate to run Blu-Ray
Monitor: Samsung RZ3322 3D
Projector: Acer H5360 3D
Amp: DTS / DD (Nakamitchi)

My only thought at the moment are:

- Is there a compatability issue with the SoundMax drivers, as I know that PowerDVD has certain audio compatabilities - but if so, why doe it work with 90% of my movies & through the stereo speakers, without issues?
- Is there an issue between PowerDVD and my GTX 480 GPU, as I have seen another post regarding an issue, whilst I believe that was running the audio through the HDMI output?
- Is there an issue with PowerDVD requiring patching, with regards to encoding on newer blu rays? As ALL other application including games put out to the amp through the SPDIF with no problems, and similarly, so do DVD's and most Blu Rays

I have already tried reducing the SPDIF bit rate down to CD quality (as suggested by ASUS as a first port of call) which has not worked.
I have ruled out the amp as an issue after looking at the DTS website for compatability, as the DTS signal (including DTS HD) seems quite universally compatible.
I have been tempted to buy a seperate PCI-e Sound Card, whilst have concerns that (a) having more audio drivers may cause more issues, (b) this restricts airflow through thhe case, and (c) it probably won't work!

Any help is greatly appreciated, as if I cannot play new movies through my hoime theather system, them my projector is pointless!!!!!

Regards,

Dean

EDIT - DXDIAG attached
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2010 11:47

SILENTD19 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Help still wanted & appreciated!
After more investigation, I have found that 'at the moment' all of the movies using Dolby Digital play fine, and the 3 movies I have the issue with (Prince of Persia, Robin Hood, Ironman 2) all use DTS - however, the flaw to this DTS being the issue is that all other DTS movies I have have also played fine!

I am pretty much out of ideas - please help!!!!

Regards,

Dean
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
so you use S/PDIF to stream DD/DTS to the amp? (You not use HDMi - right?)
Please try with another cable to make sure the cable is OK, some years ago I had an cable that showed similar issue and I needed to replace it)

Please make sure to set Defaualt OS audio device to S/PDIF and to set S/PDIF in PDVD 10 as well (in Audio Tab)

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
SILENTD19 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Yes - I am using an optical lead from the SPDIF to the amp to transmit the sound, not the HDMI output.

I have tried a different optical lead, and it does not ressolve the issue.

I always select the SPDIF output in the SoundMax control panel prior to starting PowerDVD, and PowerDVD is det to 'use current system (SPDIF)' in the audio option when started, but I today also tried actuallt sleceting SPDIF in PowerDVD also - this again as not ressolved the issue.

I have also tried slecting the Dolby Digital Mixing & DTS Mixing options in PowerDVD, to see if this alters anything (I assume selecting Dolby Digital Mixing outputs the sound in DD rather than DTS) - whilst this makes no difference to the issue.

Again, ArcSoft's software does plays all blu rays fine, albeit I have witness some slight split second picture pauses throughout the movie, whilst these do not affect the sound which continues fine, they are for a fraction of the time (ie. 10th second as opposed to 1/2-1 second in PowerDVD), and occur around one every 30 minutes, not 2-3 times per minute like PowerDVD.
Im sure others suffer the same from Arcsofts issue which is really only me being extremely critical of it, as I am comparing its performance (most, including my wife, do not even notice the pause in ArcSofts TMT5).

Arcsoft have an offer on at the moment with a 25% saving, and so I am probably going to pay-out $75+VAT, which is annoying when I have only this year paid in excess of this for Cyberlinks PowerDVD10.

Any swift ideas you have within the next 30hrs are much appreciated, as ArcSofts offer ends on Tuesday, and I would like to save myself the money and not have 2 almost identical programmes on my PC.

Much appreciated,

Dean
madcap007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2009 22:27 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I too have the same problem. It happens on the latest blu-rays with dts-hd like avatar collectors edition.

I am running powerdvd 10 ultra 2325 on windows 7 32bit home premium.

Hardware nvidia gts 450 with 260.99 drivers with hd passthrough via hdmi to an onkyo txsr-705 av receiver.

I have tried reinstalling powerdvd and changing the hdmi cable without success.

Any help in this would be really appreciated.

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2010 20:37

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

can you please also post your DXDIAG and as many info as possible (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page) - we are currently trying to investigate the issue your feedback is highly appreciated!

Greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
madcap007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2009 22:27 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Here is my dxdiag. If there is any other information you require please let me know.

Thanks.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
387 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 18:09