Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cust Support: Cannot install any new updates, and cust support is NO HELP AT ALL
tbessie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2008 02:01 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Can someone here recommend a way to contact technical support where I am *not* put in contact with the same set of support staff who seem to have no mind of their own, but only give me scripted answers time after time?

I have been unable to update my full retail version of Power DVD 10 Ultra Mark II when new updates are available. I always get the same message saying I have the wrong version of PowerDVD installed, when these are the recommended updates for the version I have installed. This has happened for 3 different versions of PowerDVD full retail I have bought over time, and after cleaned up after all the previous installs (PowerDVD installations leaves a LOT of junk in the registry and the filesystem).

I have opened many tickets with support, and they continually give me the same set of answers:

1. Download this (the same copy of PowerDVD I already have) and register it (with the same key I have) - doesn't work
2. Download this (PowerDVD cleaner app); reboot, reinstall as above and register it - doesn't work

Basically those two answers. 1 doesn't work, they tell me 2. 2 Doesn't work, they tell me 1.

Meanwhile, I ask "Can I PLEASE speak to someone more knowledgeable about this problem? Your solutions aren't working." and they pretend I haven't even asked that question -- they just go back and forth between one answer and the other, not even seeming to notice that THEIR SOLUTIONS AREN'T WORKING.

How can I speak with a support person at Cyberlink who is not a rank-and-file/read-from-the-script/don't-think-for-themselves person, but someone who actually will work with me to solve this issue?

Hundreds of dollars poured into Cyberlink coffers over the years, and I get this anti-Customer-Support? This is ridiculous.

Here is an example of such an exchange:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/inquiry-response-page.do?pId=CS000937776&m=fromCyberLink%40apeshit.com

Yours in Extreme Annoyance,

Tim Bessie

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Dec 01. 2010 05:13

tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Deleted - responded to my own posting by accident

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2010 05:09

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
sorry to hear that you have trouble.

please check this thread - it might help to understand your problem better:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

Please also descirbe the issue as detailed as possible and if any error message also attach it to this thread

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
sorry to hear that you have trouble.

please check this thread - it might help to understand your problem better:

Please also descirbe the issue as detailed as possible and if any error message also attach it to this thread

Br
Michael

Michael...

I can certainly post the info you're asking for - but also, do you personally happen to know a way to talk to a Support person who will vary from their script? Who will work with the customer to fix the problem and not just supply canned answers? I can give you the info you mention, and you may be such a support person, but going through the regular support channels, what can one do?

I've had friends who've gotten paid support, and still got canned answers without actually helping them.

By the way, I'm a software developer and computer builder, so I have a TON (25 years) of experience with both software and hardware - I'm not anything close to a newbie.

Here's the info I can remember (will repost with everything else when I get home). NOTE: MUCH OF THIS INFO IS IMMATERIAL, since it's hardware info, and I'm not having a problem with playback, but with installation, so it's likely bad logic in PowerDVD's installation expectations:

--------------------

PowerDVD full Version : YES, FULL - PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II 10.0.1830.51
PowerDVD SR Number: DVD100531-02
Operating System : Windows XP Pro x86, AND Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (I have the same problem on both)
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail product, bought on website
Used VGA: Various, but all ATI (HD 5450 on HTPC, 3xxx series on laptop)
Used VGA driver version: Whatever the latest ATI Catalyst driver version is (10.x at the moment for 5450, 9.x for laptop)
Used Audio device: HT Omega Striker 7.1
Used Audio device driver version: The latest (unsure of version number)
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version): LG Blu-Ray Super Multi Blue (unsure model number)
Used Display(s): Panasonic Viera TV (1080p)
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI): HDMI
Are you using single or dual monitor environment: Single monitor
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display): N/A
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using: Avast Antivirus (turned off when installing)
The detailed issue description: Installed full retail version, but subsequent updates, when run, say:
Cannot install the patch.
Either this patch is not intended for your version of PowerDVD 10 or your system does not have a previous version of PowerDVD 10 installed.
The patch installation will abort.

Also, complete incompetence by support staff (wrong account/passwords for updates or utilities they want me to try; wrong registration keys provided for said updates, etc. etc.):

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/s...&m=fromCyberLink%40apeshit.com

Please also add your DXDIAG log to the post (as attachement): N/A since this isn't an issue with DirectX

EDIT: Added the rest of the info
So, Michael, any clues as to what to do to get some actual help here, other than "install the same version again"?
What I'm looking for is someone who knows what registry key or file might make the PowerDVD Patch installer think I don't have PowerDVD installed. The install I originally did was a straight install, no issues, no other copies of PowerDVD sitting around.

- Tim

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 00:11

tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I ended up getting fed up, so I uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller, removed all CyberLink and PowerDVD related items from my C: drive and registry by hand as well, ran the CyberLink cleaner, and THEN reinstalled and reregistered, and then the latest patch (but not the one prior) installed properly.

SOMETHING funny's going on over there at Cyberlink regarding patches and how they work... not sure what, and I despair at Cyberlink ever letting us know. But I got at least THIS patch installed, finally.

One thing's for SURE, however - CyberLink needs to hire MUCH BETTER EDUCATED and TRAINED support staff for their 1st line support; ones who do better can do more than give "reinstall it" or "run the cleaner" for answers.

- Tim

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2010 02:50

tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well, I ended up getting fed up, so I uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller, removed all CyberLink and PowerDVD related items from my C: drive and registry by hand as well, ran the CyberLink cleaner, and THEN reinstalled and reregistered, and then the latest patch (but not the one prior) installed properly.

SOMETHING funny's going on over there at Cyberlink regarding patches and how they work... not sure what, and I despair at Cyberlink ever letting us know. But I got at least THIS patch installed, finally.

One thing's for SURE, however - CyberLink needs to hire MUCH BETTER EDUCATED and TRAINED support staff for their 1st line support; ones who do better can do more than give "reinstall it" or "run the cleaner" for answers.

- Tim

Well, what do you know, the latest patch (to 2429) has the exact same problem as the previous patch (i.e. it says ""Cannot install the patch. Either this patch is not intended for your version of PowerDVD 10 or your system does not have a previous version of Power DVD 10 installed".

In all the years I've been using PowerDVD, EVERY upgrade I've ever done has given this message, and I've had to do complete uninstalls and complete reinstalls to fix it (and it doesn't always fix it).

Your support staff is never any help. Sometimes they give me a full install version of the latest release, or tell me to uninstall, clean, reinstall (again, which doesn't always work).

What in the world is the installer CHECKING that makes it think I don't have PowerDVD 10 installed, when I in fact DO have it installed? Why would the updater do this consistently, over and over and over?

Can someone answer that question? Anybody at all? Cyberlink Support has NEVER answered that questions.

- Tim
mindragon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2007 15:17 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Yes...it is true that Cyberlink Technical Support does not respond to tickets after two weeks of time. PAID Phone Support representatives do not help at all and DELETE ENTIRE ORDER HISTORIES!!! Basically Cyberlink does not have any good support people at all.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
@tebessie

please check this thread again:

I have updated some steps to make an clean installation of the base Version.
I think this should help to make your PAtch issue to be solved.

please make sure to use Administrator account in Windows

Br
Michael
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: @tebessie

please check this thread again:

I have updated some steps to make an clean installation of the base Version.
I think this should help to make your PAtch issue to be solved.

please make sure to use Administrator account in Windows

Br
Michael

Hi Michael...

Yes, I'm aware of those steps - they *sometimes* work and allow patching of the installed base software, and *sometimes* do not. Really, one shouldn't need to completely uninstall a relatively fresh installation that had had a clear installation path (or one that one had to go through the above before to install) already.

One shouldn't need to completely uninstall, then install again, then patch with the latest patch, for every new patch that comes down the line. That is just crazy. What *should* happen is Cyberlink ought to improve their techniques for determining if you have an appropriate version of PowerDVD already installed (which I do) instead of making users go through this rigamarole each time, don't you think?

Still, I thank you for your suggestions. :

- Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2011 16:59

[Post New]
Hi,

please also use attached Cleaner for Patch issues.

please runt this new Cleaner in addition to the one for PDVD 10

thanks for your patience
Michael

Filename
CLCleaner-PowerDVD10-Patch.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Additional Cleaner for PDVD 10 Patch issue
 Filesize
168 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
508 time(s)
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
tbessie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

please also use attached Cleaner for Patch issues.

please runt this new Cleaner in addition to the one for PDVD 10

thanks for your patience
Michael

Hi Michael...

What does this new patch do that is different from the other PowerDVD 10 cleaner, might I ask?

- Tim
[Post New]
Hi,
the second cleaner deletes some Patch specific entries that may block the installation of latest Patch

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan