Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Reasonable specs for a laptop to edit video
IFishGud2010
Newbie Location: Cape Cod, MA Joined: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I want to buy a new laptop to do my video editing. Does anyone have a list of reasonable specifications for a new laptop? I'm partial to HP.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
At least 3 to 4 cores and all of the RAM you can pack in it. A lot of laptops max out at 2GB RAM. That will leave you greatly disappointed. With those specs, it should also have a decent graphics card, but check to make sure. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
My suggestion would also be to go with Windows 64bit. Windows 32bit systems can only allocate a maximum 2 gigs of ram per program no matter how much ram is on the system.

I had problems with PD8 running on Vista 32 bit when I started trying to produce very complicated videos with multiple pip tracks and special effects on full 1920X1080 videos.

Lastly though know that editing 1920X1080 HD video even on desktop computers can really stretch them.

Bottom line if you are only using 1280X720 videos and do not want to do anything too fancy a powerful lap top should handle things. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
IFishGud2010
Newbie Location: Cape Cod, MA Joined: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Robert. I just ordered a 64 bit machine.