Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD9 Trial coexist with PD8 Ultra?
LarrySH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 27, 2008 18:11 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Do I effectively disable / uninstall PD8 when I download / install the trial version of PD9? If so, is there any way to evaluate 9 without screwing up my production PD8 installation

Thanks for any info.

Larry
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can only have one version on your system at a time. Installing the PD9 trial will remove PD8. Maybe some options are
1) create a full backup prior to removing PD8 and installing PD9 so you can revert back to your production PD8 environment
2) create a full backup of your system on a separate hard drive and use the dual boot approach with one PD8 on one system hard disk and the other system hard disk with PD9

Jeff
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
- Export your PD8 projects
- Backup your templates
LarrySH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry to hear that. It leaves prior Cycberlink customers with quite a dilemma:

Install the trial / PD9 retail and lose the stability and integrity of the PD8 prdocut which took many updates and many nearly a year to (finally) fix properly

or

Do not install the trial / new PD9 and wait for Cyberlink to get its act together

or

Deal with having a dual boot / backup strategy to install and try PD9 and then revert back to PD8.

For whatever it is worth, as an owner of Vegas (7,8,9, and now 10), they made a much better decision to allow both old and new to coexist. I wish Cyberlink had done the same.

My current thought would be to hold off buying or trying PD9 since it is extremely clear that the quality control and beta testing are still in their infancy.

Thanks Jeff and Nicholas for your replies.

Larry
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
You will find that PD9 is very competent with PD8 projects. It will take a bit of time however for you to get used to the new (and more flexible) features of PD9. But your PD8 projects should render very well in PD9. Win 10, i7
LarrySH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, but my concern is that the new PD9 will crash, hang, stutter, and do all the things that PD8 did when it was first released 18 months ago. It took at least 6 months before it was usable as a reliable editing tool.

A thread on DVInfo.net described it initially as "a train wreck", and many people from around the world who bought the early release were totally unsatisfied with all of the problems and issues they encountered.

Some companies are extremely meticulous about testing their software before release, and have very few bugs. My favorite non linear editing software is Edius Neo 2 with AVCHD Booster, which has had ZERO updates since it was initally released, and not a single bug I have encountered in using it for over a year.

I intend to eventually buy PD9, as I have done with all of the earlier releases. I just will not go through the first six months of beta testing at my expense and inconvenience if I have to pay for the current (Beta quality) software.

Larry
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Larry,

I understand your point - I went through the same scenario last year. If you have a working package wait a few months until you're comfortable with PD9.

Win 10, i7