Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector v9 runs slow in edit mode
IFishGud2010
Newbie Location: Cape Cod, MA Joined: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Even though I have updated all my drivers, PD9 runs incredibly slow in edit mode. When I drag the timeline selector to a new location it takes the program 10-15 seconds to catch up. I'm ready to buy a new program.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core Duo P8400 @2.26GHz
4 GB
32 bit

The problem started when i got to about 40 minutes of edited video. Should I split the video and start another project?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi IFishGud2010,

I can almost be 100% certain that the reason your editing is slowing down is because of two factors....your hardware specs and length of your project. There could very well be a third factor. What are you using for your source video? Is it High Definition footage? High Definition (1920x1080) are huge files and are not as easy to edit with as Standard Definition can be. Most people run out and buy the new High Def camera and take movies of their kids at the Birthday party and then import them into their PC and wonder why they are having so much trouble. The level and power of the PC is often overlooked. Cyberlink publishes minimum specifications to run Power Director 9......and that is exactly what that is....minimum specs.

When all of these things come together it puts a tremendous strain on your PC resources and then you see the results. You can lower the Preview Quality and it will have some positive effect.

Rest assured.....You would be in the same situation with any video editing software. Honest! You will find that the if you want to maximize the editing experience then you will be looking at similar PC systems that a Gamer would be using. Top of the line CPU's.....Multiple High Powered Graphic Cards....lots of RAM 6, 12, 24 GIG....Fast Dedicated Hard Drives for your Media files. The more powerful your system is the bigger your projects can be and the smoother it is to edit.

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin. I kind of thought resources might be the problem which is why I'm trying to break the project in to two projects. Now I have to figure out how to link two (or more) projects together when I burn the video.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
That is a great workflow.....smaller projects. I do the same thing when making longer video like weddings....I just divide them into smaller chunks.

If you plan on burning your project to disc, then it is easy to import your PD9 project files using the "Import Power Director Projects" button. You will find this in the CREATE DISC module....then select the CONTENT tab....this is where you can import projects and video to setup the content of your Disc. This is the method I used when finally creating my Final Wedding Disc.....I just imported the project files for each segment and put them in the right order and voila....

Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to COMBINE PD9 projects into one big one as it was with Power Director8. So you can either produce each segment into a video and then combine all the video segments into one big production. You shouldn't lose too much quality. Just make sure that you produce your smaller segments using as high a quality as possible....similar to your source video files is a good rule of thumb.

Kevin
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin. You've been a big help. Have a nice weekend.
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Kevin, since you've been so helpful, here's another question for you. Do you know of a video that explains how to use the multi-trim feature. I mean a good video. I've looked at the ones offered by PD9 but I still don't get it. I may be thick but I've been editing as follows: I view the video to be edited, split the video then delete the part I don't want. Or I use range selection and Cut/Remove. By the way what is the difference between Cut and Remove??
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi again,

I personally never use the trim or multi trim....Like you I place my clip on the timeline and then split it and then remove the bits and pieces that I don't want. I don't think their is a difference between "cut" and "remove".

The one tip I can give you is that if you are trying to just cut out a few frames from a clip then it is much easier to do this if you "Zoom In" on the clip. This can be done in three different ways. Use the Zoom control in the lower left hand corner of the applicatio....use the + or - key on the keyboard...or by left clicking and holding the mouse button down on the top of the timeline and then dragging it out.

You can get it right down to the frame level, where you can see 30 indiviual segments every second of video(if using 30 fps) and then I use the "," and the "." to move the scrubber bar back and forth and then Split the video clip to remove say the shakey camera movement at the end of the clip....then I right click and select remove. I should use a tripod!!

I find the multi trim controls work ok.....but I can get the job done on the timeline much easier. Also if I decide to then lengthen a clip a little bit...I simply drag the edge of the clip while it is on the timeline and lengthen it.

It's all personal preference.....I hope that helped!

Did you watch these tutorials?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCGrYoH "Working with the 100 track timeline"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMRIA9_fKDM "Getting Started with PD9"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsw4orhnYl0 "Advanced Timeline"

Regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 08:30

IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Thanks again. You've been a super help.
lesifotos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 08:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I worked with PD8, it was quick. Now I updated to PD9 and it is terrible slow in HD-editing. (The same project was quick in PD

My system: intel i7 870, Radeon 5870 (with the last drivers), 4 GB DDR3, EX58-UD3R

I updated because of 64bit support. It was a bad idea. Or what wrong with my system?

NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hi lesifotos,

I think that IFishGud2010 as solved his post and maybe you want to create your own, so we can follow your topic and help you. In the mean time, I understand that you have upgrade from PD8 to PD9. Do you have Win7? 64bit or 32bits?. If you have 64bit you may want to increase your memory to 6GB (http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html)
lesifotos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 08:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, thank you for the answer.
I have Win7 64bit. I try increasing my memory.
Thanks again!
Carlko1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2012 04:22 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi IFishGud2010,

Rest assured.....You would be in the same situation with any video editing software. Honest!

Kevin

Not true. I used PD8 for about a year and though sometimes slow, not nearly as much as PD9. I recently bought Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and have no slowdown at all even though editing the same file as PD9, which takes forever. I bought PD9 because there are 1 or 2 things it does better than Corel, but it isn't even close to being worth the aggravation trying to edit files so I'm going to try to get a refund.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi IFishGud2010,

Rest assured.....You would be in the same situation with any video editing software. Honest!

Kevin

Not true. I used PD8 for about a year and though sometimes slow, not nearly as much as PD9. I recently bought Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and have no slowdown at all even though editing the same file as PD9, which takes forever. I bought PD9 because there are 1 or 2 things it does better than Corel, but it isn't even close to being worth the aggravation trying to edit files so I'm going to try to get a refund.

I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for sharing and have fun video editing!

EDIT: Carlko1.......But in order to be fair in your assessment..... the software that you mentioned above as working on your system is not a 64-bit video editing application(big difference..like comparing apples and oranges)...PD9 is a 64-bit application(although it can run on a 32-bit OS) PD8 is also a 32-bit so that may be why both of those applications ran smoother on your system and not PD9. But you know it is really not all that important. The important part is that you were not having fun with PD9 and you are having fun with the other software. I hope you get your refund...I really do.

Does this make a "Bit" of difference? Probably not!

Best,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2012 08:36

mandop1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2013 03:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Even though I have updated all my drivers, PD9 runs incredibly slow in edit mode. When I drag the timeline selector to a new location it takes the program 10-15 seconds to catch up. I'm ready to buy a new program.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core Duo P8400 @2.26GHz
4 GB
32 bit

The problem started when i got to about 40 minutes of edited video. Should I split the video and start another project?

Make sure low light compensation is turned off. Mine was slow for a year and i tried everything. Happened to go on youtube and a young boy posted a vid on slow webcam. Wow completely fixed the problem.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
There are multiple versions of Powerdirector.
Powerdirector 8 has a 32 bit version (Deluxe) and a 64 bit version (Ultra).
Powerdirector 9 has Deluxe which is 32 bit and Ultra is 64 bit.
As far as I know Powerdirector 10 is like Powerdirector 9 in the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Powerdirector 11 has Director Suite (Everything), 64 bit or 32 bit depending on your OS.

Powerdirector 11 Program only has:
Powerdirector 11 Deluxe=32 bit
Powerdirector 11 Ultra=64 bit
Powerdirector 11 Ultimate=64 bit.

The performance you get depends on the version of Powerdirector you are using and the Computer system you are using Powerdirector on.
Powerdirector, any version will install a 32 bit version on any 32 bit computer system.

A under powered computer will struggle with HD content.
That is true with anybodies Video Editor.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.