Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Version 9 crashes on startup
Lee337 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2009 15:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased and upgraded to version 9 and installed it. Input the code and registered. When I click on the icon to start the program it crashes within a few seconds; never gets to the program itself. Completely uninstalled everything, installed again with same result. Version 8 worked perfectly. What do I do? I have an HP Touchsmart Iq816 with windows 7 64bit.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a dxdiag file? Sounds like a conflict, but without more info it is hard to say for sure. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Lee337 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the file. Thank you for any help you can give.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
521 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately I didn't see anything that concerns me. maybe someone with more experience reading these will have a look. Looks like a fairly recent system, but you might try updating your nVidia drivers. Make sure there are no left over PD 8 files. You might have to search the forums for the registry keys for that. Sorry I couldn't be more help. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
mleij [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 05:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi There,

I am experiening exactly the same thing. PD9 will not start up and go past the splash screen. It just crashes without an exact error. I got a Window 7 64 bits system running on een Intel i5 processor with 6GB RAM. PD8 runs with no problems. I reinstalled the entire machine from factory settings (HP), so there is an entirely new clean system running. Still no help. Hope anyone else has any ideas.

Cheers
Michiel Leij

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostics file
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
374 time(s)
Drewnaustin10 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wales UK Joined: Nov 03, 2010 20:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, this is the same for me as well (see earlier post) - brand new laptop. I have checked to see that all traces of PD8 are removed but the problem persists. Drivers are all up to date. I'm at a loss!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have an answer...just some observations...

We Beta tested PD9 using full versions not an upgrade version. So we all typically uninstalled PD8 before we installed the full version of PD9.

PD8 is installed in the 32-bit folder on your hard drive.....if you then install a PD9 64-bit upgrade version, then this is installed in the 64-bit Programs folder on your hard drive. So I don't have any experience on how this might have caused a problem.

If you are installing an upgrade version of PD9, then you definately need to have PD8 installed BEFORE you try to upgrade because it is installing over it somehow I think. But for some it seems to be causing a problem during the installation....not sure how to correct it.

I hope that more information is gathered to help those that are having trouble with PD9 crashing during startup.

In the past....users having this problem of crashing when the Splash Screen appears was sometimes due to a Quicktime issue. Users that reinstalled Quicktime to the latest version AFTER they installed PD8 were successful. This may also be true for PD9.
Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
mleij [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 05:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I tried installing it on my laptop and this did work after it deinstalled PD8. No problems. My laptop is an older one (about 2,5 years) with windows 7 64 bits, 3gb Ram. I may therefore be the Quicktime but a hardware conflict may also be the problem.

Cheers
Michiel
Lee337 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried it both ways -- upgrading from PD8 and manually uninstalling PD8 then installing PD9. Neither worked for me.
Zamora18314 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2008 17:23 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Similar problem, but I get to the Edit screen. I just installed ultraPD9 as a PD8 upgrade, and have encountered problems on a 32-bit XP system (company standard). Any file action locks up the program for this and future instances, and the only means I have found to recover is to reinstall. CPU use is roughly 30% during the period it is locked up. Also, it takes nearly 2 minutes to load - normal?.PD8 ran just fine. Any help appreciated.

---------------

After reinstalling several times and doing clean up, finally got past the blank edit screen. However, it still takes 2 minutes to load and an additional 5 minutes to initialize. After that is works fine. DxDiag.txt file attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
805 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 20:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I'm seeking CyberLink input on this. Please take the issue up with Tech Support immediately.
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

My ref 114

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 11:32

[Post New]
Resolved the problem for mleij by having the Nvidia drivers updated.

I suggest that Lee337 do the same!! Nvidia made many changes in video card memory allocation (and 64 BIT handling) in the last year.

Restoring to factory original DOES NOT insure that you have the latest drivers...just the ones that were shipped with the machine!!

Lots of different people on this same post with possibly different problems.

Drewnaustin10 & Zamora18314 please run dxdiag and post for your machine???

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 15:56

Drewnaustin10 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wales UK Joined: Nov 03, 2010 20:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Good news! Despite checking my drivers and them seeming to be up to date, when I went on the Nvidia website and checked, my GT 330 M graphics card drivers were out of date and downloading the new ones appears to have done the trick.

I would suggest that other people on the forum who are having the same problem also download the latest drivers, even if their machine is new. Mine is less than 3 weeks old and I have software which checks for out of date drivers. I suggest that people check the site themselves and don't rely upon programmes etc to alert you.

Thank you for all on this forum for your advice and patience. I used to use Pinnacle and there was a less than happy vibe on their forums!

I can't wait to use PD9, so thanks again.

Drew (not Barrymore!)
[Post New]
Great news Drew (not Barrymore!)! Glad that worked.
Hopefully your experience will suggest to others a possible solution.

Nvidia site for checking latest version of the drivers is:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Have fun with PD9.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 17:40

artzie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Finland Joined: Nov 19, 2010 19:49 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
O yes! Updating display driver help's me, with new Acer 5741g laptop (Core i3 350M / 2.26 GHz - RAM 4 Gt GF GT 320M). Now it start's ok..

Automatic driver update (win 7) tell me it's updated.. but manually from nvidia web I found new version. Thank You very much!
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the exact problem.

I uninstalled PowerDirector 8, then installed the PowerDirector 9 x64 that I had just downloaded. I got as far as the registration, then it fell over dead.

This happens every time. I get as far as the splash screen, then it crashes.

I rebooted, no joy. I uninstalled and re-installed, again no success.

I have opened a ticket with Cyberlink, but I'm very disappointed.

I just uninstalled Quicktime, but that made no difference.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag output
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)
 Filename
ForCyberLink.txt
[Disk]
 Description
System Information dump
 Filesize
1545 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1809 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 20:26

Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
JerrySNB;
Please post your dxdiag.txt file here and we can look into it while you wait for CL support (if you like).
CL support will need this file, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2010 20:25

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I amended my previous message. Jerry Schwartz
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
FredB do you have the new PD9 installed?
[Post New]
Jerry SNB;
Please consider updating your drivers to the new release. This has solved the problem for everyone in this post that has done it!
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Your drivers are well over 1 year old( 6/26/2009) and known to have issues with 64BIT machines