Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Be aware of Download Managers.
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all.
I have had the following download experience.
On my PC I have been running a Download Manager program for over a year and
have never had a download problem before.
However upon trying to download PD9 I had a very slow initial connection, probably
due to excess traffic at the time of day at the server, so I stopped the download to try later.
When I did try later I kept on getting:- " Server replies: You don't have permission to download this file." ....
This went on for several attemps over 2 days.
Eventually the problem was diagnosed as Permission denied due to "Too Many Download Attempts."
What seems to have happened is that Cyberlink/Digital River only allow 5 downloads of the software.
The Download Manager I was using apparently chops the file into chunks and then downloads
them in 8 streams to be re-assembled on completion.
Now the Server sees this as 8 download attempts, but will not cause a problem provided the initial download completes without interruption.
This would be a successful download, except if you now go back and try again you will be given the "No permission to download" response.
So if you are running a download manager then please be aware of this possible problem.
You will use up your full 5 download allowance in one go, and if the download fails or is corrupt you are knackered...
You have to get the counter reset by customer services....

PatC
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PatC,

Interesting information and warning. Thanks.

But by using the terms... "What seems to have happened", and... "The Download Manager I was using apparently", ...are you only speculating, or can you confirm this as being a fact?

Using a download manger has always dramatically cut down on my download times, so I hate to abandon it for fear of exceeding download limits, if it turns out that this is not what is occurring when a download manger is using multiple streams.
Cyberlink themselves encourage the use of a download manager. So it seems odd that they would, if they know it means that by using a download manager, the consumer only has one shot to get the purchased software.

Could it just be that the CL/DigitalRiver server is just swamped right now with the high demand for a new release? And that is what is causing these download anomalies, and perhaps false “Too Many Download Attempts” errors?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 23:52

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Pat,
Comments noted and passed onto CyberLink.
If you're still having problems downloading please contact Tech Support. https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cranston,

Well I can confirm that on this occassion:-

Part 1 Main Program: download was interrupted by myself and from then on would NOT allow
a second try. Permission Denied.
Part2 Contents Pack: downloaded OK using Download Manager.
Part3 Free Holiday Pack: downloaded OK using Download Manager.

After several failed attempts at downloading the Part 1 Main Program, I tried to re-download Part 2 a second time and received Permission Denied.
I then tried to re-download Part 3 a second time, same result, Permission Denied.

Only after telling the Download Manager to stop intercepting the downloads did I get the Warning " You have attemped 46 downloads. Only 5 downloads allowed, you have exceeded your quota, or words to that effect.

I contacted Digital River and received a very quick reply that said certain Web Browsers and Download Accelerators could interfere with or corrupt the download.

Digital River reset my numbers to Zero.
I turned off Download Manager for their website.
Normal download achieved, I was then a happy bunny.

The way that the Download Manager works is Speculation on my part, derived from observation.
I have been running the Download Manager for over a year and when I checked its History File I see that
I did infact use it in November 2009 to download one of the many update/patches for PD8.
Note: unless a download fails you would not realise there was a problem, as there is no reason to retry
a 30minute download just for fun....

PatC
PatC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Thanks, problem now solved, am now playing at 64bit.
Looks like Cyberlink have jumped ahead of their rivals yet again.

PatC
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
PatC,

Thanks for the expanding on your original post in reply. That's what great about this forum. I'm always learning something something new. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
IANACGrant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Just been caught with something similar. I use a download accelerator and, forgetting the 5 downloads restriction, started to download the first file of the PowerDirector 9 upgrade set. The download failed and now I am waiting for support to reset my count so that I can download the file properly (and more carefully! and using just one channel|).
Maybe a warning on the notification email and/or download web page (in bold with flashing lights and large pointing fingers etc. as well) would be appropriate to remind users of this limit.
I do not download that often.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
this is clearly not quite as well defined as it seems. I had, up to now, by reading some posts like this, come to the conclusion that some limit (by CL) on the number of downloads, versus download managers which open a number of download threads, was causing this problem.

However, I always use FreeDownloadManager for big downloads and have downloaded a number of PD9 versions recently without a problem. I am a fairly experienced user, so I do tend to do things according to the book straight away, I wonder if that has some bearing on the problem.

However, I am contributing this simply to NOT put people off using download managers, I think the problem is more subtle. : So far, my best bet is that you may only make one successful download, so that if you download and instal, then uninstal to start again with a new download, then the problem occurs. This, of course, is conjecture. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232