Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 crashes on my new laptop
Drewnaustin10 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wales UK Joined: Nov 03, 2010 20:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
PD8 was always rock solid but I updated to PD9 and now I can't get it to load. It crashes and I get an error message saying PD has stopped working and windows has closed it down.
My laptop is brand new with windows 7 plus updates etc

Laptop is Sony VaioVPCF12MOE i7 core 64 bit Q 740 @1.73 GHZ 4GB RAM

It has Adobe photoshop elements 9
VCL media player
Norton Internet security 2010 and
Mozilla firefox.

installation of PD9 is fine and I put in my activation code without a problem, but PD crashes before it finishes opening.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with the same result, also uninstalled and then installed the trial version. Finally, downloaded the programme again and reinstalled.

I then downloaded a trial of Magix movie edit pro 17 and that installs and works perfectly, so I'm at a loss what to do next. I really enjoy using PD hence being keen to update to the new 64 bit version which should be perfect for my new laptop - maybe I should have tested the trial version first.

Any sugestions on what to do next gratefully received.
Thanks
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

This occasionally has been reported with PD8 users...PD8 starts to boot up...splash screen appears...then instantly stops. And in some instances it can be corrected by updating Quicktime. If it were me and this was happening I would make sure Quicktime was the latest version. I hadn't heard of it happening with PD9....but it has only been released for the day. So it is worth trying.

Give that a go and let us know how you are making out.

Regards,
Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Drewnaustin10 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wales UK Joined: Nov 03, 2010 20:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for that - unfortunately it hasn't helped. The programme appears to start and windows reports that it has stopped working and shuts it down. I'm quite suprised because the programmes listed in my previous post are the only ones on my laptop, so there aren't dozens of programmes which could be causing this issue and my laptop is running fine otherwise.

I suppose I can go back to PD8, which works ok, but I feel reluctant to do that having paid for the upgrade to PD9. It's very disappointing! Maybe someone knows of something I have missed.

By the way, Maine is gorgeous. I was there a few years ago and remember watching some "reverse falls" and filming them, also the "Old Sow" whirlpool.

Thanks for your help

Drewnaustin
artzie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Finland Joined: Nov 19, 2010 19:49 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have same problem with new Acer 5741g laptop (Core i3 350M / 2.26 GHz - RAM 4 Gt GF GT 320M). I try to install new Quicktime and install PD9 (trial) with user or admin, no efect. Used my friend's ver. 8 and like it.

3D Advisor was ok, only Sofware Player was Not found! Something about that?

Now I'm happy not to bye this to my new laptop.. but I will, if it start working. Hope to get help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 20:15

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Drew,

Are you sure you have PD8 completely uninstalled? I wonder if you have some remaining elements of PD8 still remaining on your system which is causing the problem. In the past it was not always sufficient to trust PD's uninstall feature. I use CCleaner to remove remaining registry files. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
artzie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Finland Joined: Nov 19, 2010 19:49 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Can the problem simply be the craphics card.. my laptop have NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M, and I think that Sony has NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (?). They are not in suppoted list? Is that list absolutely as it is.. and why?

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html

I even try this..

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=9924&prodId=4&prodVerId=736

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 20. 2010 08:54

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 works fine on my three year old laptop. I doubt that is the issue. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2010 21:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -- I'm having exact same problem -- downloaded V9 tonight, loaded fine, registered fine, but bombs 5 seconds after starting everytime. Tried rebooting, reinstalling, etc.. zero luck.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Dan,
3 basics - see below, the diagnostic is important information. Have you read the sticky by FredB?
Dafydd
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Daf! I'll dig through your docs/suggestions and post back later (hopefully with my good news of success)

Dan
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I just noticed that there is a new update for nVidia users to fix crashes at start up. Might give it a try. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to Cap'n Kevin I am up and running -- I upgraded both the Nvidia driver and the Quicktime version and I'm up and running now. Thanks Daf and Jamie for your help as well!

Merry Christmas to all!
Dan
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Dear All,

It has come to my attention that PowerDirector 9 will not launch and crash with the error message "PowerDirector has stopped working" on computers with certain NVIDIA graphics cards.

This error is being caused because of a bug on NVIDIA's side, but who's at fault is not what matters, but rather how to fix it and get people's version of PowerDirector 9 running.

For most users, they will just need to install the latest drivers for their NVIDIA graphics cards and the issue should be fixed. In other posts I have seen that this is proving effective.

However, there are in some instances where cards came built in, i.e. laptop computers. The graphics cards on these computers, for some reason, cannot be updated properly to the latest driver.

To rectify this, CyberLink has released the patch update that should fix this issue for the above mentioned users.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Here are the platform and graphics card reported by customers so far for your reference that are experiencing the above mentioned issue:

Sony VAIO VPCF126FM / NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M / Driver Version: 8.16.11.8925
Sony VGN-AW21XY / NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT / Driver Version: 8.15.11.8640
TOSHIBA Satellite A660 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M / Driver Version: 8.16.11.8988
ASUSTeK N82JQ / NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M / Driver Version: 8.16.11.8916

To Drewnaustin10, I checked the specs of your computer online and the NVIDIA graphics card in your computer matches the first on in the list there. I recommended installing the patch update and seeing if it rectifies the issue for.

Thanks and please help to pass this info along to any other users we see that come to the forum looking for a solution.

Regards,
David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2010 01:11