Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power dvd 8 ultra will not play avatar extended edition
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Mine was purchased and played in Australia. It may be a zone thing.

Also the other main reason I went with this other program is I really really hate the black bars on my DVD's. My new program allows me to zoom in to take out as much of the black bars as I want, although it doesn't really matter with Avatar as it is 1.78FF and is virtually full screen on a 16:9 screen anyway. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
RogerF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 23:10 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I tried booting the computer in safe mode but the disc wouldn't load.
RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
I finally had some sucess. I downloaded a 15 day trial of a competitor's player and it works. Therefore it seems the problem is with Cyberlink's PowerDVD DX software. The competitor's software is $100, so I'd rather use the Cyberlink software that came with my $5000 DELL computer. If someone from Cyberlink can contact me and fix the problem, that would be great. (I sent in a couple tech support e-mails, and they told me to contact DELL, who told me it would cost $250 for software support. I sent another tech support request to Cyberlink, so we'll see what happens. Worst case is I pay $100 and get to watch this blu ray, which would not be a bad deal since I've already wasted about 15 hours trying to get Cyberlink's player to work.)
cyb3w [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2010 19:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I also have the Samsung R580 with Power DVD 8 installed. It is OEM PowerDVD 8.0

It also does not work with the Avatar Blu-Ray.

I have absolutely zero tolerance for poor customer service, and from what I read this is a long standing issue that many people have opened tickets about with no solution.

Hopefully someone from Cyberlink can post a solution for those of us who actually want to use our BluRay players with their product pre-installed, otherwise, having your software pre-installed is having the exact opposite effect of what you intend. Giving us a free insight into which company NOT to choose for future updates.

I tried the thing where you delete the local storage folders, and it did *try* to start the movie, but never got there. If what everyone said is true, that Cyberlink is the only software that has such problems and support issues, it may be a quick decision on where to spend my upgrade money...
Limbachnet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2010 10:43 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Deleting the three folders is just one half of the workaround. After deleting the folders the network connection must be disabled. And then start PowerDVD and try to play the movie.

Without disabling the network the problematic online features will be reloaded and this will restore the problem...

I am not sure if Cyberlink is the right one to blame. The older Version of Avatar *did* work with several versions of PowerDVD until one day in october - and there was no update or change of PowerDVD this day. So I think that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is more responsible for the problem than Cyberlink. Fox has a contact formula online under http://www.foxinternational.com/. Select your country, and then in the upper right part of the screen you will find the link to the contact page.

I wrote to Fox Germany and got an answer; in short: "We don't have a clue, please contact your hardware dealer!". Bad joke. I replied, but I did not receive a second answer. Perhaps some additional feedback to Fox by other users would not be a mistake...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2010 09:21

RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's a large part of my problem trying to get tech help. It takes a long time to get an answer, and the answer usually is: "Ask someone else!" FOX blames the software, Cyberlink says contact DELL, DELL says contact Cyberlink, and Philips says contact DELL.

I think it's at least partially Cyberlink's problem, since other, more expensive software WILL play the discs.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with digital rights management. It drives people to seek out the software people use to pirate media, not to steal things, but just to try and view the media we buy legally. I'm not opposed to paying. FOX deserves money for their great movie, I paid DELL a ton of money for a fast computer, and Cyberlink got paid for their software. I just wish it would work. I might have to pay for other software that does.

A better job should be done here, though. We're talking about the biggest money-making movie of all time. Of course someone is going to try and play it on Cyberlink's software. I may be naive but it probably wouldn't take much effort for Cyberlink to test it and come up with a solution. The disc has been publically available for almost two weeks now.

Here we just see the people who were persistent enough to find these forums and post. How many others just returned the discs or contacted Cyberlink once and gave up?

Limbachnet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I agree to 100%!
j [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2010 02:40 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
If anyone is interested I found a way around the glitch.
You can have your network enabled you just have to do the following:

Show Hidden Files needs to be enabled and Simple File Sharing needs to be unchecked

Run the disc as normal until it goes to black screen
Hit Stop

For Windows 7 browse to c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\LocalStorage\BDUA\[some hex number]\[smaller hex number]
Here you will see a folder, mine says 59
Right click and choose Properties
Select the Security Tab
Click Advanced, Change Permissions
Uncheck Include inheritable permissions
Choose Add
Click OK, OK
Remove write access to your account and the Administrators group
Click Edit and uncheck all but Read and List
You should only have Read and List Folder Contents checked
Click OK, OK

Hope this helps others out so you do not have to turn off your internet just to watch an EPIC Flick
j [Avatar]
[Post New]
Forgot to Mention you need to delete the Contents of the 59 directory before setting permissions.

Also after you are done modifying the folder Hit Play.
After the black screen comes up Hit Play again and it will continue.
RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry I'm having some trouble with this. I found BUDA, for some reason for me it's under My Videos. I was able to get hidden files to show and uncheck inheritable permissions. Under chane permissions when I hit Add, I can't hit OK (it's greyed out). I don't know how to change write access. Where do you find Read and List Folder Contents?

I'm testing $100 software that lets me sometimes play the 2nd and 3rd discs from this set, but I lost the ability to view the Blue Ray Live content. Has anyone got this content to work?

Has Cyberware helped anyone with this? They tell me I need to contact DELL, and they are clueless and usually unreachable.

Thanks for the help!
RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Whatever I tried to do made things worse. Now I get a red message saying my player needs an update. The player driver is already up to date.

Is it true that Cyberlink doesn't care to help any of us and is seemingly forcing us to buy software from other companies?
j [Avatar]
[Post New]
From what I have found is that the BUDA folder will not show up until you play the disc.
It should be in the above location, if it is not then are you on Windows XP not Windows 7 or Vista?
Limbachnet [Avatar]
[Post New]
On my PowerDVD, there is no UI for settings and ctrl-C does nothing. Maybe it's a dumbed-down version for DELL users.

I think, he has a strange OEM-Version with different behaviour and configuration. That does not make things easier...
RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
True about the OEM. I can find the BUDA folder. There was one single digit folder in there and 4 hexadecimal folders. I tried to delete all five, and I think that's what caused my "update player" problem. I restored them and it seems to fix the update player problem.
Lojo2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 10:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same as wolverine all over again, at least at that time the folder-workaround worked.

If the software from Arcsoft works, I'll switch to that one an never pay a single dollar for cyberlink software ever.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 10:14

RogerF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Arcsoft TotalMedia had trouble playing some of the extras on the 3rd disc. I got DELL to send me CyberLink's PowerDVD 9.5 and that one plays all three discs and the BD Live material too. CyberLink seems to be in the best position to figure this out--they have some software that won't play some features and others that will. It's a shame they don't respond and acknowledge the problem.
Lojo2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 10:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Last weekend everything was fine, I tried yesterday the avatar. The usual message come about updating PowerDVD; every single BR with BD-Live content pops that one up but after the problems with Wolverine, saying "no" to the update was always the best option.

I wasn't able to play any other BR movies at all.

I updated the firmware of the BR-drive, nothing. TotalMedia can't play any BR now.

It is creepy because none of those programs can give a reason for the problem only "we can't play".

PowerDVD even go as far as to say that the update was completed but it didn't perform any update at all.

BD-Advisor says that all the basics for BR-enjoyment are green.

I hadn't had an graphic card update for weeks, so I tried that. Also no luck.

I don't understand why this whole thing stopped working out of the blue.

AnyDVD saved the day. for some reason anything is failing to check that my hardware, software and discs are fully compliant with BR-standards.
tjb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2011 19:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i have the exact same problem except it says it is not compatable with a mouse. why should i deal with this crap i payed for a bluray player on a alienware so i can watch bluray not black nothing ness and now they are "forcing me to pay to upgrade something to full" which came preinstaled just to use a 300$ blu ray disk player. now i dont know about what ever under developed country these people live in but in what local (usa, canada) scociety is that considered legal. do you walk up to a book store buy a book then pay a additional cost just to read it? now why should i pay 50$ to kiss their asses like that honestly i say i have the right to use my bluray disk playing device to play my epic movie without having to pay additional costs (if you say electrical costs then your an idiot because that is just being a smart ass) now i will list that i have the demo which is PREinstaled as well i will not list anything else point final now if i do not get what i am legaly entitled to then i will become upset !!
tjb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2011 19:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hate to say it but PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II also has problems with the new extended collectors version of Avatar, 3 blu-ray disc set. My laptop, Alienware M15X, is more than capable of running blu-ray but this blu-ray set will not play without stuttering audio and video.

For info running ATI drivers 10-11, the latest, with ATI Mobility Radeon HD5730 and Matshita BD-RE UJ235A with latest firmware.

so is my m17X wich cost a wooping 4k
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, please post more info:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page
at least exact Version and SR is needed to track this issue!

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
nicklouse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2010 18:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
just to add mine will not play either (this is the first release not the extended)
one CPU goes to 100% and stops the playback.

this on two separate PCs with 2 different disc drive, and different hardware.