Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie struggling
NevilleT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2010 19:19 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to get my head around video editing having just bought Power Director 8. I want to make a video of software usage and am capturing the video and audio using a program called WonderShare DemoCreator. I output it from DemoCreator as MP4 files. I am trying something simple to start in Power Director. Just join them and add a title in Power Director. I then publish as an MP4 file.

My problem is that there is a major quality drop between the input and output. I have tried a few things like fix/enhance but I seem to be going backwards. Can someone point me in the right direction please. What am I doing wrong?

Also where do I go to learn more about the software? I have looked at some videos on You Tube but surely there is more information out there.
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I want to make a video of software usage and am capturing the video and audio using a program called WonderShare DemoCreator. I output it from DemoCreator as MP4 files.

You don't say what device you are using to capture the video. Are you capturing direct from other videos you are watching, or are you capturing via your webcam, or a Camcorder, or what?

If you are capturing already-published video it's better capturing it direct as an FLV file and then making a good conversion. I use the latest version of "RealPlayer". Save it as a high quality video, then import it into PD8. Try different file-types when you convert.

If you put in 'poor', you are likely to produce 'poorer'.

If you are a newbie, keep things simple, don't go looking for "more" information, just practice some simple edits, and various produce modes, until you have the basics, then when you can do that ok, that's the time to search for more : Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
nicholas1984 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2010 11:19 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
i experienced the same problem.

i am using a digital video camera. my video files are MP4 and they look great but when i put them into the Master Video Track they become choppy and are resized big black borders on the sides. I cant seem to keep them the same quality as the actual recordings.

I saved the files straight from my camera to my cpu and from there into PowerDirector

i need help
nicholas1984 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i figured out the black borders but the vid quality is still choppy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
1984, umm that was a good year.

Below in my reply you'll see a few basic questions. If you supply the diagnostic data we could give you some insight and suggestion. If we saw your project/screenshot we may be able to tweak your quality issue.

I edit .mp4's and my resolution and display are crisp sharp and beautiful, just as HD should be.

Dafydd

cpu = central processing unit
HDD = Hard disc drive (the storage device)
NevilleT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Guys. Thanks for your reply. To answer the question of capture, I am using Wondersoft DemoCreator. In the software, you click record after selecting a few options and then it gives a countdown to recording starting. When you finish recording select F10 to stop it. You can see it at this address *****************[ edited out]. You then output the demo in a selected format. I choose MP4 based on some advice from someone who was a video newbie stage 1. I am still at stage 0. You could also choose flash or WMV or lots of other formats. The quality was fine.

As I said, all I did was create a title, and import two MP4 files from DemoCreator into PD8 then output as a single MP4. I have included a still from each MP4. Incidentally, the title is great. Is there any other information I can provide?
[Thumb - Output from PD8 as MP4.jpg]
 Filename
Output from PD8 as MP4.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
MP4 output from Power Director 8
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)
[Thumb - Output from DemoCreator as MP4.jpg]
 Filename
Output from DemoCreator as MP4.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
MP4 output from DemoCreator
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2010 16:33

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I knew you were using screen capture software. Please do not place links to other company's products - a no no

The input resolution is what you decide to capture at.

The output resolution is dependent upon your selection and the intent?

mp4 is ok. Output at either wmv standard HD or .3g2
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43230

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2010 16:42

NevilleT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd. Thanks for the reply. I mentioned the software to answer the first response from Trevor George. Sorry about that.

What I am trying to do is to put some instructional videos on my website to explain the software we sell. What confuses me is that the input seems fine but the output is fuzzy as you can see from the attachments on my last post. How am I losing quality? Is there some configuration I should be doing?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neville -

With that software, there are advanced options for output. By default, the mp4 options are set to low quality. Before producing the video file, it would be worth modifying those output options.

These options include odd resolutions - 1920x1024???

Even using the highest quality settings, there was some obvious degradation of the image (see screen clocks attached).

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - DemoCreator.png]
 Filename
DemoCreator.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
[Thumb - Original vs Capture.png]
 Filename
Original vs Capture.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
156 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
NevilleT [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did a quick test. Created a few second video using the screen capture software. Output it as an MPEG 4 file. Took that file into PD8. Output it as MP4 High Quality PSP Video. The drop in quality is major as you can see from the attachments. For an online screen demo, the output from PD8 is not even close to acceptable. Must be doing something stupid.
 Filename
TestOutput.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Comparison between input and output from PD8
 Filesize
1525 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
365 time(s)
NevilleT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good to see there is a user in NSW. I am based in Sydney Inner West.

The size was from the screen capture software. You can select an area to record.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like you're selecting (from the Portable MPEG-4 options) the PSP-MPEG-4 AVC High Quality profile. Media info shows it as being 320x240 (4:3) with a video bitrate of 479Kbps.

Rendering to that profile will degrade the video.

If you use the Mobile Phone Hi-Vision Cam Wooo profile, you'll be happier! Change the file extension from .3G2 to .mp4. See http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43230

Sample attached

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Test.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2820 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
381 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
NevilleT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for that Tony. I am moving to newbie stage 0.5. Tried it out myself and the results were great. I am buried in a html web site issue this morning but will get back to the videos this afternoon. I am sure you will see lots of me on the forum. I know I am using 2% of the functionality in PD8 and want to explore more. Good to know there are expert users close at hand rather than have to wait for daylight in another part of the world.

As Clint said, "You made my day" ('');
nicholas1984 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It looks like you're selecting (from the Portable MPEG-4 options) the PSP-MPEG-4 AVC High Quality profile. Media info shows it as being 320x240 (4:3) with a video bitrate of 479Kbps.

Rendering to that profile will degrade the video.

If you use the Mobile Phone Hi-Vision Cam Wooo profile, you'll be happier! Change the file extension from .3G2 to .mp4. See http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43230

Sample attached

Cheers - Tony

Ok, I looked at the link but I cant seem to figure out how to change the file extension from .3G2 to .mp4.

I can produce in .3G2 or mp4. but i cant change .3G2 to mp4

please help
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
After the file is produced by PD as a .3g2, just change it's extension by renaming it in any Windows explorer window. You may have to set the extension to be visible -
in XP Control Panel>Folder Options>View> uncheck Hide extensions,
in Win 7 Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Folder Options>View>uncheck Hide extensions
Don't know about vista

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
nicholas1984 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thank you so much