Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Glitches
mjablow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2010 23:04 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Everyone!

I am trying to produce a new video project and when I create the final version there are glitches that look like digitization/pixelation of the image for a brief moment or delays in the video. These are not there on the master. I thought it was dirt on my DVD lens but then I created a MPG-2 version and there they were again! I hope I'm explaining this right. I've never had this problem before and I've made many projects in various lengths up to an hour in length. I don't think I'm using any more effects than I have in the past (?)

I have an 820 Pentium D Processor with 1 gb memory. I thought it might be limited room on my hard drive ( I have 46 gb remaining) so I tried to produce using my 1 tb drive, with plenty of room, as the root. Didn't work.

Any ideas? THANKS!!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please supply a couple of screenshots, a diagnostic and details of the PD you're using.
Thanks

Dafydd
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't found a cause, yet, but I will get that sometimes. Then I produce the project again with no changes and it works perfectly. Follow Dafydd's advice and maybe we can narrow down the possibilities. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
David,

I am using PD 8.00.2704, I'm not sure how to do a direct x diag, I tried to follow the attachment guide but I couldn't find it. Might be the two children trying to get at the computer while I work!

Even a screen shot eludes me. Would it be easier if I could somehow send you the file? Maybe attach it?
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
David,

I am using PD 8.00.2704, I'm not sure how to do a direct x diag, I tried to follow the attachment guide but I couldn't find it. Might be the two children trying to get at the computer while I work!

Even a screen shot eludes me. Would it be easier if I could somehow send you the file? Maybe attach it?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Who is David?

James and I are the ones answering you.

Ahhh, right. You MUST read the guides I have provided and see the instructions, please follow them.

Dafydd

My name is pronounced Daa-ViiTH

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2010 07:30

mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please don't take my mistake personally. As I mentioned the kids were all over me and I was trying to get a response out quickly, plus the frustration I am feeling towards this program right now.

I will try to re-read the specs for submittal tonight and see if I can make sense of them.

thanks, and again sorry for the name mistake.
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I think I have what you asked for. Amazing how much better a quiet room can aid in the thinking process. Please let me know if you need anything else. Again the version I have is 8.00.2704.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Matt
 Filename
PD Screen Shot.doc
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
275 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
319 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Matt,
Thank you for the data.

The only issue which might be causing you problems is the lack of memory you have perhaps. I have used a similar set up to edit mpeg without too much hassle. Video editing software now demands more resources than earlier releases (and need a lot more resources).

I think you should look to make a CUSTOM mpeg template in Produce using between 6 to 8000 bitrate and select CBR (constant Bit Rate) as opposed to CVBR (variable). You will need to bring the produced mpeg back into PD8 to create to disc.

If you didn't want to do the above, I think your system would benefit if you 2 staged your production in any case. Select to "Burn to Folder" and not directly to disc. You'd lessen the strain on your system (likely to be the cause of the render pixel issue you're experiencing) at having to render and write to disc. You would then need a disc writing software such as Power2Go to complete the process.

There are a lot of posts on this same subject dotted around all the PD forums here - worth having a look.

Hope I've helped.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 03. 2010 04:22

mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Do you feel that this could also be solved by adding more memory to my system? I have been financially trying to justify purchasing some.

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Matt,
You're squeezing me between the fox and the hen house on that one maybe - it is your call.

I have recently increased my PC's RAM to 8gb and that's unlikely to be enough at some point during my editing HD files.

Yes I think you could do with more - video editing needs all it can get.

Dafydd
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I tried the customer with 6000 bitrate and selected CBR. About 1/2 of the glitches were gone. Lowering the bitrate like this, does it effect the overall quality greatly?

You have 8 gb?!? I'm scrounging to bring it up to 2! I might have no choice but to try the upgrade, I need to have this done by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Matt
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just to add my two cents here Dafydd is right....but even maxing out wondows XP memory to 4GB will maybe help some of the problems. Windows Xp and late require al ot of resources to begin with. I would get 4GB of memory as memry is quite cheap right now, and it would help your computer function smoother all round.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks James for the input - always welcome.

Matt, a couple of pointers. regarding customizing the mpeg template you're rendering to.
1. By setting CBR - constant bit rate you are "levelling" the quality to be the same throughout.
2. 6000 isn't low but you can try higher for the video bit rate, upto 7 and then 8, see which produces the best for you on your system.

Take a look here at what some editors have : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Yes, you need to up the ram to edit smoothly. You'd get away with 2gb for mpeg rendering and so long as you don't add major changes to the video you'll be ok, but you should have more... more.. Edit very sparingly.

Dafydd
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update:

Dafydd,

I finally gt the chance to raise the RAM to 2 GB and apparently it's not enough. The same glitches are in the same spots. I understand that editing software needs a lot of RAN but what is totally perplexing me is the fact that I have made numerous videos before this one and never encountered this issue. Surely it would have shown itself sooner, no?

Thanks!

Matt
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
If you are using a 32 bit operating system (It appears that you are) having more than 3GB of RAM will not give you any benefit. If you were to switch to a 64 bit operating system then more ram the better. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
mjablow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wait! I went back and read the notes after my frustration began to subside a bit. While it's true that adding 1 GB did not make it so I can go from point a to point b, following Dafydd's advice:

"I think you should look to make a CUSTOM mpeg template in Produce using between 6 to 8000 bitrate and select CBR (constant Bit Rate) as opposed to CVBR (variable). You will need to bring the produced mpeg back into PD8 to create to disc. "

did it!

It's another stop on the way to a finished product, but it works!

THANK YOU DAFYDD!!!

Matt