Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Title Problems
AJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 21, 2007 11:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

I am a VideoStudio user for a few years and latley I have been having some issues so I thought I'd try PowerDirector 6. I downloaded the trial and the interface is similar but already I ran into an issue that should be simple to figure out. I was hoping to get some help before I call it a day.

I imported a single MPEG-2 file into my project and tried to add a title from the "Title Room". When I added the title it was placed at then end of the mpg in the storyline. When I tried to move it to the front it overlapped the mpg. I then tried to move the mpg to a time after the title but that was a no go.

I tried another approach. This time I added the title before the mpg. I added the title, modified the text and all was fine. But when I added the mpg, the tile disappeared. I confirmed that by previewing the project.

I realize I maybe doing something wrong as the steps I am doing are how I accomplish this task under VS10+.

Any help is appreciated!

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
I am evaluating Director and have the same issue.

The klutz solution I made last night is as follows. (This is a dreadful way to do it and there MUST be a simpler way.)

If the mpeg is Split at the first couple of frames and now stretched to say 5 seconds, then drop the text opening title at the beginning frame 0.

The initial split clip can now be faded too.

Stretch the title to also be 5 seconds. Now run the scene and the title should appear on a static image of your initial mpg for five seconds before fading into the action. Klutzy but works.

I cant find anything in the help files to cover this.

Come on Moderators Whats Wrong and why no documentation in the help ?

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
AJ,

PowerDirector basically revolves around the master video track...that you need to have some kind of content in there for your entire movie. Just like with any kind of editing on the older machines I used to use in school. You had to lay down some video...even if it was color bars, to record audio.

That's why I use the color boards feature to do what it sounds like you want to do. When you are in the Media Room, select Color Boards from the drop down menu (underneath the Produce button).

You can use these to fill in the gaps where you don't have or want to use video. I have used it several times for opening or closing credits, with a black color board back ground.

Check out the example I posted on my YouTube page for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1L64O-Pqn0

Please let me know if this answered your question.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Audio files will maintain Titles in place after a video has finished in the time-line.. re overrun into black.

Title didn't disappear... it moved to the right.. when you added the video, look again.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2007 09:32

AJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 21, 2007 11:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, you are right. It did move to the right but I cannot move all the way to the left without having the main video overlap it.

Daveed, I tried following your suggestion regarding the color boards and it does allow me to get the title in front of the video but now I am having a problem with transparency. If I choose a black color board, it lies ontop of my title, if I choose a while color board, it washes out my title.

Thanks for your help. I know most people that have video editing in their past may find this intuitive but as a user of VS10, this is very cumbersome..... VS10 has it's own set of issues regarding the time it takes to render and I have read the PD does a much better job at that so I wanted to give it a try but it looks like I may have to re-learn everything to do so.... I'm not sure it's worth it at this point...

Thanks again, AJ
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AJ,
I am not sure how the color board went over your titles...just use a black color board with a white title font...you shouldn't have any problems.

I always but the color board down first, like laying the track down.

Just in case...make sure you click the "Movie" button underneath the preview window before previewing your output. Not clicking that would make it look like your title wasn't there