Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Quality
happy3715 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2010 18:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I am new to this forum and need help.

I tried several times converting my video project in Power Director 8 to DVD.
The original video was shot in HD 1920X1080 in MP4 format from a Samsung HD Video Camera. The video project is about 41 mins long and combines about 30 MP4 files into One video project.

The format of the original MP4 files from the HD Camera are:
Frame Weight:1920
Frame Height:1080
Data Rate:17033 kbps
Total Bitrate 17161 kbps
Frame Rate 59 frames/second
Audio Bit Rate 128 kbps
Channels 2 stereo

When I play the Power Director video on my computer before conversion to DVD, it is good HD quality.
I also took one or two of the original MP4 files and played it on my HD Samsung TV via USB stick and it was good HD quality as well.

It seems when I burn to DVD, and play on my Blu Ray player, I am not getting HD quality, but poor video quality. The video is very pixeled and blocky. I tired converted the Power Director file to AVI,MPEG2,H.264. AVC, WMV, Portable MPEG-4 with various settings and the quality was still bad. It seems once I burn to DVD the quality is bad but it is fine on my computer.

The only success I had was when I converted the one of the original MP4 video's using Portable MPEG4 to Mobile Phone via the setting Mobile Hi-Vision Cam WOOO. The quality was then good. However, when I try to do this with my project, it says the file is to big.

Attached is one of my original files

Any Help that anybody could provide to let me know what I am doing wrong and why the video quality is bad would be appreciated. I am thinking of getting a blu ray burner. Would this help the quality?
Thanks
 Filename
HDV_0046.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40577 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Happy -

You said the magic letters... DVD.

DVD is just what it is... & will be nothing like the quality of your original video!

By comparison:
Original resolution = 1980x1020
DVD resolution = 720 x 576 pixels (PAL), 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC)

Original bitrate = 17MBps
DVD bitrate = about 9.8MBps (max)

Since a SL DVD holds only 4.7GB, obviously something's got to give way - quality!

DVD is convenient & universal, but it's a huge compromise.

Here are some different options (just searched through 110 pages in the DZ forum, without a search facility, & couldn't locate this):

Below: +++ = pros, --- = cons, !!! = worth considering

1. Playback from camera, direct to TV.
+++ raw quality, no re-encoding - best quality option
--- doesn't allow editing, except "on-camera"
!!! HDMI cable for best quality

2. Video file played through HD Media Player
+++ no disc burning (& no waste from bad burns) - play file directly from USB storage device
+++ allows editing prior to producing file
+++ no further re-encoding for disc production
+++ cost/environmetal advantage

3. Burn to Blu-Ray Disc
+++ allows bitrate of up to 40MBps
+++ resolutions of 1440x1080 & 1920x1080 @ 24MBps possible in PD
+++ best DISC choice for maintaining quality
+++ greater storage capacity - single layer: 25GB (4hr HD, 11hr SD), dual layer: 50GB (9hr SD, 23hr SD)
+++ more efficient data transfer (& getting better!)
--- cost of discs
--- use of BR burners & players is not universal
!!! higher bitrate = better quality & bigger size
!!! burned with blue laser (shorter wavelength)

4. Burn to AVCHD DVD
+++ best quality option for standard DVD
+++ resolutions of 1440x1080 & 1920x1080 possible in PD
--- standard DVD players cannot decode HD formats (a bit like burning audio to a DVD disc and expecting your Audio CD player to play it)
!!! play back on a PS3 or Blu-ray players (newer ones all support AVCHD).

5. Burn to DVD
+++ convenient - fairly universal
+++ low cost
--- Quality sacrificed for convenience
--- bitrate of about 9.8MBps
--- Standard DVDs burnt in one of two resolutions: 720 x 576 pixels (PAL), or 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC)
--- DVD players' ability to upscale is highly variable
!!! Storage capacity: Single layer: 4.7GB, Dual layer: 8.5GB
!!! burned with red laser (longer wavelength)

6. Playback on PC
+++ convenient
+++ connect/stream to TV or data projector
+++ no quality sacrifice with disc burning
+++ similar advantages to HD Media Player option
--- quality depends on screen resolution (PC)

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bob T [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2010 13:53 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Tony

Read your last post with great interest. I just bought a Panasonic HD camcorder that procuces AVCHD files. I am using the standard version of PD and was wondering about upgrading to the Ultra. I know the ultra version will allow me to edit AVCHD files. Will it allow me to save the edited files in AVCHD format and burn them to a standard dvd for playing on a Blu Ray player that accesses AVCHD files. If so, how will the video look on a HD tv? The reason I purchased the HD cam is to have better looking movies and thus far the movies I have burned do not look a whole lot better than the ones I burned with my standard def camcorder.

Thanks in advance, Bob
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob -

From what I've read in the forums, there's no easy way of "upgrading" from the Deluxe version to PD8 Ultra... but you'd need to contact CyberLink about that.

Using PD8 Ultra, you can burn AVCHD DVDs. These will play on most (newer) BR players. I don't have any statistical evidence on the difference between a video burnt to DVD (mpeg-2 formatting) & AVCHD DVD - but I can tell you there's a huge difference in quality & clarity, especially when burning with the HD 1920x1080 option. Then there's Blu-ray, which is leaps ahead in quality.

Of course, the bitrate used the burn AVCHD DVDs is much higher than for standard DVDs - so less video can fit on a disc.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bob T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, thanks for the quick reply. I do not think that I can upgrade from the Deluxe version. I would be willing to buy the Ultra version if the video output is better.

I am going to be in the market for a new computer soon and I might just go with having a Blu Ray burner installed into it. That is...........if I can talk my wife into it!

Bob
Bob T [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony

Like I stated above, I am in the market for a new machine. Can you give me some idea of what kind of machine and some specs that you would include for editing movies. I am a PC guy. Thanks.

Bob
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I couldn't help but jump in here as I just built a new PC mainly for video editing.

If you aren't feeling that adventurous, you can custom build a new PC easily from Dell or HP at their web sites.

What's your budget? That is big determining factor.

Some things to look for in a new video editing system:

1. Intel i5 or i7 processor - I have an i7 930 which I highly recommend. AMD isn't as good for video editing in general.
2. At least two fast hard drives: one for your OS and programs, one for your video editing "scratch" drive and other multimedia. I have 2 WD 1GIG Caviar Black SATA drives but if I had the money I would opt for Solid State Drives (or at least one).
3. A good motherboard (I like ASUS) that will allow you to expand and is rock solid.
4. A separate CPU cooling system if you plan to overclock your processor. This is important! The one that comes stock with the Intel CPU is not sufficient for overclocking.

Of lesser importance:

1. Video card - you want something current from ATI or Nvidia but it doesn't need to be top of the line expensive unless you're a big gamer.
2. RAM - go with 6MG regular memory (I have Corsair), again the super expensive "fast" memory isn't critical to have.
3. USB Backup drive!
4. DVD/Blu Ray drive - if you want to have your video on physical media for distribution, etc.

Good luck!

Kevin Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
[Post New]
I think you meant 2) RAM 6GB and 4) Blu Ray drive should be a burner, otherwise all you can is play the files. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS v258.96
ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display
K-Lite 32bit & 64bit
1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero
Hitachi 400gb system dr