Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[solved]PowerDVD10 resets region code change to 0
Frank_9498 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2010 11:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am using Blu-Ray Disc Suite since a couple of months in combination with an LG Blu-Ray player and running under Windows Vista. Blu-Rays played excellent with PowerDVD 7.3

This week I purchased a new computer running with Windows 7. I moved my existing LG Blu-Ray player to the new one. After that problems started. I installed the Super Multi Blue Install Disc that I got with the BD-player. When running PowerDVD the program states that PowerDVD does not work without an update. So I updated PowerDVD. Next problem: Although the system configuration states that I have 4 efforts left to change the Region Code, PowerDVD gives 0 efforts. So, the software player does not have any Region Code. And I never changed my region code. It should be B(2) for Europe.

To make things even stranger, the player does accept DVD´s, bot not Blu-Rays. The Blu-Rays I try to use are original ones. Not a single ripped BD.

Second effort was to install the trial version of PowerDVD. But exactly the same problem happens. Although Cyberlink states that PowerDVD 10 should work with Windows 7.

I scanned my pc for compatibility with PowerDVD and the result is that there should not be any problem.

I tried to find a solution and encountered several tricks to reset the region code-settings. But, there aren't any available for Windows 7, but just for XP and Vista.

Does anyone have a solution for this awkward problem? Not able to play Blu-Rays on your system while you don't use any pirated software is very very very frustrating.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2011 08:22

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

You said that it didn't work with the PowerDVD 10 trial either, so it makes me think that there is something up with the drive, i.e. the firmware needs updating on the drive.

If I were you, I'd try contacting LG as well about this issue, as it seems it might be the drive firmware, not necessarily the software.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2010 06:26

Frank_9498 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2010 11:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. I checked the firmware and indeed, it was an older version, 1.00. I upgraded it to the latest, 2.00.
Upgrade went smooth, without problems.
But the player still refuses any Blu-Ray.
I get another popup message: 'Cyberlink PowerDVD cannot access the storage device. Select another device when playback stops.'
After clicking ok on the popup a Region Code popup appears saying that I have 0 changes left.
DVD's play smooth on the LG, but this was already the case.
Right now I am gonna try deleting all Cyberlink-files and re-install them.

Thnx again, the advise was a wise one.

Frank
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please contact the CS team - they can provide guidance for clean uninstallation if any issue casued by install/unisntall

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Bill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2011 04:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem on my win7 PC. Could not set ABC region code. Fixed it by setting to run in Administrative mode. Just check the box in powerdvd10.exe to run in administrative mode (C:\Program files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD10|\PowerDVD10.exe). Right click on exe file and left click on compatibility tab at the top. Check the box beside "Run this program as an administrator". Click OK at the bottom and you should be good to go. and that cured it for me. Got all my 5 choices back for setting the region
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
@Bill
I guess you use a restricted user account for PDVD ?

did you install it in Administrator account?
Please describe your setup a little more detail so we can try to reproduce it

Br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2011 05:42

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Bill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2011 04:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I installed it as administrative user on a home built PC running win 7 64 bit. I created another user - also administrator. A little while later, I deleted the first administrator account I set up and noticed a few days later that I could not play Blu-Rays in PowDVD10 Ultra. Not sure if that's why it was locked but it's all I can think of.
[Post New]
Hi,

please try the cleaner tools as mentioned here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

and re-install the PDVD 7 you want to use.

please also consider to contact the customer support.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Szymon1977 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Feb 19, 2011 19:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Worked for me