Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Freezes During editing, saving and preview
Tohellnbak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2010 13:32 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
files are recorded in Mpeg2 1280 X 720 and have even recorded in lower reso... can load & multi trim but sometimes during preview or uploading or saving, the video will freeze between clips but audio is fine....

if I jump the current cursor forward, it will "catch up" and be fine until transition to next clip

Using a gateway LX6200-1 AMD Phenom Quad 2.2 with 8Gs ram

any ideas or suggestions?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have the shadow files turned off?

Alt+C, general tab. uncheck Enable file processing... Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tohellnbak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do you have the shadow files turned off?

Alt+C, general tab. uncheck Enable file processing...

I am at work right now and not on that PC... but yes I do have them turned off... After I posted this thread, I searched and found a few other similar ones with same problem... I tried the suggestion of lowering the preview quality.. didnt help really... At first they were hard transitions so I added in some transition graphics and it worked... I have a feeling it is more with my PC rather than any settings on PD.. I know all my drivers are up to date, ETC... Maybe the graphics card is a little on the lower end... especially since my files are in HD.... The Radeon HD3200 was stock in the gateway and I never upgraded to a better version...
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
That Graphic card is very low end.

It has a benchmark of 106 which is 549 in the rank, Lower is better.

It would have a great deal to do with the delay on updating the screen. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tohellnbak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Contacted technical support they got back to me about changing the virtual mem and the normal route of closing all programs, anti-virus etc.. will give that a shot later tonight...

If worse comes to worst.... what kind of card would you recommend getting... to be honest, I just use it for recording gameplay right now but in the future I will get an HD capable cam for videos, etc..

Something in the $100-150 range is fine... did a quick look and seems like I should be ok in the price range

edit: I tried what CS said to do, same thing... but it works fine with a graphic transition added, just the hard ones it hangs up... which doesnt bother me any as I like to add them... well anyways.. back to work I go.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2010 13:18

Carl312
[Post New]
For faster performance you can buy one of the cards on this list.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/faster-performance_en_US.html

Increasing your virtual memory to about 5 GB helps a great deal.

It also helps if your page file is moved off of your C: drive. That only works if your hard drive is partitioned into multiple drives. And you have a really big harddrive.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2010 13:28

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Although video card prowess isn't necessarily a prerequisite for an editing system, a low end card can definitely impact what you see on the screen, i.e previews, refreshes, etc.

I just installed a new NVIDIA based GTX 460 card which I love, but that was 229.00 (200.00 after rebate)

I would actually recommend the ATI 5770 which is in that 150.00 range on newegg.com.

On the NVIDIA side the GeForce 9800 GT is still a good card for 100.00 or so or the GTS 450 for a little more.

Make sure you get a 1 GIG version of whatever card you decide.

Hope this helps...

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460