Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Show Date and Time Code in Video
Sentinel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2010 20:32 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I'm importing video from my AVCHD camcorder. The only way I see to do this is by selecting the "Import Media" button on the "Edit" pane, and navigation to the files.

These files import in the AVCHD H.264 AVC format.

I see in the user's guide and on the PowerDirector 8 FAQ page, that there is a way to display the Time/Date code in the video.

"Time Info
When a RichVideo video clip or an EXIF image is added to the timeline, the Time
Info button is enabled. Click the Time Info button to enable the date caption or
time code that was captured from the original camcorder or digital camera. You
may also add a text remark to your video or image if required."

It states that I must "Click the Time Info button to enable" this feature. The problem is I cannot find this button anywhere. Is it that I must change the file format of my video to "RichVideo" somehow or no? Is there any other way?
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

This button appears when you place the video file on the timeline and then select it. The Time/Info button will appear in the function button area (buttons above the timeline), if the video file supports it.

Dave
Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Apparently this function does not work with AVCHD files.

It looks like it has to be in the "RichVideo" format from what I can tell, but I may be misunderstanding this.

If it must be in the "RichVideo" format, I would hope there is a way for me to convert my AVCHD files to it so that I can use this function.

So far I've gotten nonsensical responses from the Cyberlink tech support on this. In fact the responses are so poor; I suspect they are coming from a non-native English language person. The piss-poor user's guide is no help either....
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Sentinel,

CyberLink PowerDirector does not support the display of a running time code on your video.

What it does support is the display of the time code information on videos captured from a DV tape. When PowerDirector captures the video, it uses RichVideo to record and store the time code information. Then when the video is placed on the timeline, selecting the Time Info button will display the time code at the beginning of the clip as a still image.

So unfortunately you wont be able to display the timecodes on your video with your AVCHD file.

You are right that is not clear enough in the UG and it will be fixed.

Regards

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2010 05:50

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The "timecode use" question has been raised on the forum previously and answered (DV use only).

Good to know the UG will be made clearer.

Dafydd

Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

My AVCHD camcorder does have a component output, which I believe means that it's analog.

If I capture from this output with the time/date stamp visible, will this work for me?

And if so, what hardware would I need for my PC to import it?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Sentinel, depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

This is the only HD Component Video capture device I know of.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I have one and it works great!

If you have a second video camera, you could connect your AVCHD camera with the time stamp on to your HD TV and record the image on the screen Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The other thing you can do, is put the Date and Time in a title in Powerdirector. That takes more work, but the result may be worth it.

That is the way I would do it. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, but I don't think that's actually what I'm looking for. What I think I need is a component connector interface to import/capture video directly from my camcorder to my PC into PD8. Assuming this would capture the on screen date/time code.
Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found this, and I wonder if I use it to import from the component out of my camcorder with the Date/Time stamp displayed it would do what I need done?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+Video+Creator+Plus+HD+Vi deo+Capture+Cable/9714371.p?id=1218156775760&skuId=9714371&st=composit e%20video%20pc&contract_desc=null
Carl312
[Post New]
That device is not HD and it does not have component Video input. It will not do what you want to do.

Composite video, S-video and stereo audio inputs

It would work OK for VCR tape capture. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually my camera also has component output, so I think it should work.

I'll be sure and post back either way.

Thanks again!
Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
None of the software recomended on this forum was an acceptable soution, but my original idea turned out to be the correct one, and this is it.

Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+Video+Creator+Plus+HD.htm

This should be the answer that you all give first from now on...
Carl312
[Post New]
If you are happy, then that is good.

I do want to point out a difference in terminology.

Component Video= YPbPr = red, green, blue Video. Has resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 Pixels (HD).

Composite Video= analog 720x480 Video (SD)+ Red, White, stereo audio.

Link to web site explaining the difference.
http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html

Component Video:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Composite Video:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, I was mistaken about that, and thanks for pointing that out.

I'm using the A/V (RCA cable) out of my camera, which is transmitting an analog signal instead of the the digital for capture, and is transmitting exactly what is on my camcorder screen.
Sentinel [Avatar]
[Post New]
So yes, the "composite" video output.
Carl312
[Post New]
Very Good, happy editing. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.