Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio fade granularity
[Post New]
Sometimes i'm in need to perform very quick audio fades to accomodate sound effects, and PD don't allow me doing that.

Say, it looks like it lets me perform a 5/6 frames length fade, but don't allow me to perform a 1 frame fade.

It there a reason in that?

Thank you... Umberto
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Umberto,

A one frame fade is not a fade, that is a cut.

PD does allow that action. You can split the audio track at that point. Then jump to your other sound.

All is possible if the audio is separated from the main video track. PD allows more that one audio track. PD has one voice track and three music tracks, for a total audio tracks of 5 tracks if you count the Main Video Track.

PD has more audio tracks than that if you use the PIP tracks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2010 17:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Umberto,

I was able to do a 1 frame fade, but you have to do it manually, not with the fade button.

See the attached screen shots for details.

To do this,

1. Zoom in on the timeline until the timeline displays each frame. Basically, zoom as far as you can go.

2. Go to the end of the audio file or clip you want fade on, and then put the timeline slider at the second last frame (where you want to start the fade).

3. Go into the Audio Mixing room, and just click the audio level for the clip, i.e. Video for a video clip's audio, or Music for a clip on the music track.

4. Notice that a node the file's audio wave form is now displayed at the frame. Click on the end node and drag it to the bottom.

Let me know if you have any questions and this is what you want. If it was a cut, the audio end at the second last frame at the current level.

Dave
[Thumb - 1framefade.jpg]
 Filename
1framefade.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
1 frame fade on audio clip
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
277 time(s)
[Thumb - 1framefade2.jpg]
 Filename
1framefade2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
1 frame fade on video clip's audio
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
289 time(s)
[Post New]
Dave, never tried with Audio Mixing Room!

I'll try that, hoping this will do the trick! (Really, i never watched the Mixing Room with much interest, i find it annoying to use because audio controls are disabled when on the video track you place a photo, and that makes difficult to do a fluent volume correction on a mixed photo/video track).

Thank you! Umberto
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hey,

You're welcome. I actually tested after I wrote this and you can use the fade out button at the point as well, instead of dragging the ending node.

FYI, the reason the video track audio would be grayed out if you had a photo selected on the video track, is because the photo doesn't have any audio (on the video track).

When you put the timeline slider at a point in the timeline, all the tracks that have audio will be enabled in the Audio Mixer room (Master Track, PiP Tracks, Voice Track, Music Track). You can easily adjust the level at the point where the slider is in this room.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2010 05:40

[Post New]
Yes, I understand that the audio slider is disabled with photos because they don't have audio track.

The issue with this behavior is that you lose slider control when on playback the timeline cursor reaches a picture, so if you next have a videoclip (with audio), it's difficult to grasp again the slider when it becomes active. You need to stop playback, rewind to the start of the videoclip, restart playback and keep going with volume adjustment.

When you have lots of mixed video and pictures, it's really difficult to use that slider. Then i decided to stop using it...

But that's another issue, we're going OT here

Greetings! Umberto