Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Master to PIP fade???
Apothecus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2010 09:36 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I've searched awhile on this forum and thought I came up with a fix for my problem, but it seems my issue's still there...

I'm editing footage from a wedding in which 2 cameras were used for different angles. I understand that there is only one master video track in PD8, so the footage from camera 2 gets put in a PIP track. Perfectly fine, until I discovered there is no ability (to my knowledge) to apply transitions (fade is all I use) from camera 1 to camera 2!!! What???

In reading through these forums, I found a workaround in which the edited footage is produced to .avi, which is then reused as a new project. I split the timeline at the appropriate points at which I wished to apply the transitions, but then found that since the fade function requires overlap of the footage on either side of the transition (obviously) that the AUDIO is also transitioned. Which absolutely messes up dialog (it mixes either side so as to sometimes become unintelligible), to say nothing about what happens trying to transition during music situations! Terrible!

I've used Adobe Premiere, as well as Ulead products in the past, and never have I ever experienced a product which cannot transition easily between 2 different video tracks, using one common audio track. This should be a simple part of any editing program as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy a lot of the features of PD8, but this one thing may be a deal breaker as far as what I need a video editor for...

Am I missing something here? Is there any other procedure that I haven't tried that I should be trying?

Thanks for any help!

Jason
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Apothecus,

- Highlight clip in PIP track
- Click on “Modify”
- Click on “Add/Edit Motion Button (middle button right above apply chroma key)
- Bottom left of the PIP Designer window you will see Fade In/Out check boxes
- Use Key Frames (yellow diamonds), to set durations for the fades.
- Click OK

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12. 2010 21:37

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
cozmic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2010 18:20 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Using the PIP insert the clip on several lines, and stagger each clip by the number of segments of transitions you require, and the length of the transition set.
Then Trim each clip to size for each segment, then adjust the audio volume on each to fade out on the previous and fade in of the next.

Tedious but will work.

Else removed the audio altogether by splitting it from the video.
Then set up the multiple clips complete with transitions and fit the audio to suit. Split the audio to match.
Apothecus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2010 09:36 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Apothecus,

- Highlight clip in PIP track
- Click on “Modify”
- Click on “Add/Edit Motion Button (middle button right above apply chroma key)
- Bottom left of the PIP Designer window you will see Fade In/Out check boxes
- Use Key Frames (yellow diamonds), to set durations for the fades.
- Click OK

Hey, many thanks, Cranston. That looks like that'll work great!! Appreciate the help.

Jason