Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
copyrighted error
phil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2010 19:06 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
when attempting to capture home VHS tape. PD8 seems to randomly think content is copy protected and stops recording. ridiculous! also no sound. any help would be appreciated.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: when attempting to capture home VHS tape. PD8 seems to randomly think content is copy protected and stops recording. ridiculous! also no sound. any help would be appreciated.

Hi Phil,

Please read the instructions at the top of the Forum Index, particularly http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Without sufficient information, no one can help you. We know it can be frustrating, expecially when just starting. However, you must provide information. It looks like you are saying that the capture into PD8 of non-copy protected VHS tape is interrupted on a random basis for some reason. You get some video, but zero sound and you think the whole thing is ridiculous.

WOW! It sounds like you are figuratively shaking your fist at the software and preparing to abandon it. Don't do that. The instruction posts have been provided for you because they are needed and they help. Read them. Go back to the beginning capture attempt and walk through what you have done, checking to make sure you are doing what you think you are doing. Read the Help files on Capture. You can get to the help files by clicking on the red director's chair in the upper left corner of the PD9 welcome page, then scroll to the next to last option. Use the index to get to capture. Make notes so you can post the process and your experiences. Be specific. You will be amazed at what these people know. Just give them a chance to tell you what you need to hear by giving them the necessary information.

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2010 15:14

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
sorry my post was not clear. what i thought was ridiculous was the program terminating capture because it perceives the vhs tape as copyrighted. I have captured the tape with windows movie maker with no problems. I know its not copy protected because its my home tape. the steps i took were

1 start pd8
2 click on capture
3 preview screen comes on
4 start tape play
5 click record in pd8
6 begins recording, sometimes 10 seconds into operation window pops up "copyrighted material, terminate recording" (something like that)
7 playback what little recording there is, no sound. delete recording.
8 start over and change audio input to another choice until all choices are exhausted. same results except sometimes i don't get the copyright error at all or i pops up in the beginning or 20 seconds in.
I hope this explains better the situation.

thanks
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

There is a wealth of information on the cyberlink forums (not just this one) concerning your general problem. However, you are not going to find answers unless you do some work and get specific. For instance, there is no such thing as copyright protection in the sense you seem to view it. There is encryption.

1. The message you receive is crucial. "Something like that" simply doesn't get it.

2. "Its my home tape" doesn't explain anything either. I simply do not know what that means.

3. Even if you took the video yourself, it could have been inadvertently encrypted by you. However, it sounds like you may have copied it from somewhere. That, and attendant details, could be important to resolving your issue.

4. If you decrypted the original video, that doesn't necessarily mean it was sufficiently decrypted to be transferred into PD8.

I gave you a thread wherein Dafydd Bevan tells you what to do about issues and how to request assistance. You cannot get assistance unless you name the problem, etc., as David explains. It could be that you do not understand what Dafydd explained or perhaps you are hoping someone simply has a magic bullet for you. I fail to see how you can find a magic bullet if you are not willing to explain the problem. If you are unable to explain it, or do not understand something Dafydd says, say so.

Inform yourself by reading the posts. Use the search function at the top of the forum page. If you simply type in "vhs" or "copyright", and then review the results, you will learn a lot.

I am not mad at you, but I can tell you that unless you are willing to help yourself, you cannot expect others to do so. Frankly, I don't know of a solution to your problem. I suspect that there may be none. However, I do not know that to be the case because you have not given specific information about it. Nor, have you made me understand that you checked to see if anyone else has dealt with this issue before, have you done so?

I have seen comments in these forums directed toward the problem area you are in by men whose knowledge and perception I respect very much. You need to see what they have said.

Of course, some one may be able to respond to you with a definitive answer and save you a lot of effort. I invite them to do so.

However, I suggest it would not be wasted time if you do some work on it yourself, unless you hear something pretty quick.

Good luck,

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2010 19:52

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
to clarify what i mean by home tape : I made the tape with a Vhs recorder in 1985. It was done in my yard and was of my family. It is not encrypted nor is it a copy. It is the original. it is continuous and without chapters. It would seem to suggest that if the program captured any amount of the tape , it is not encrypted or copyright protected. You say you're not mad at me ,but you certainly condescend to speak to me. I'm not a complete fool. Did you read the part where i said i captured it using windows movie maker? i have looked in the help files of pd8. there is basically no info on capturing other than the obvious functions of the buttons. I looked for the subject in forum before i sent the e-mail about my problem.

intel core 2duo cpu
e6550 @2.33 ghz
2 gb ram
xp pro vr 2002 sp3
nvidia geforce 8800 gts
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

This copyright error and no sound problem is something that has been reported quite often. So you are not alone. That is why a lot of members use a dedicated USB capture device to transfer their VHS footage to digital files on their computer. I use one made by Turtle Beach which has worked flawlessly for me. Many other members here use one made by Kworld.

However, you will also find that many members and PD users here use Windows Movie Maker to capture from VHS, and then import the digital captures to PD for editing and producing.
Others have reported that they simply connected their VHS player to their DVD recorder and made DVD copies of the VHS footage. Then they copied the video files from the DVD to a folder on their computer.
And some have been successful in connecting their VHS player to their digital camera, and using pass through, PD recognizes the camera, and they can capture the footage that way without false copyright or sound issues.

But it seems that the most reliable method is to use a USB analog to digital device (many inexpensive ones out there), because as I said, this erroneous copyright message and no audio issue happens to many many folks trying to capture directly to PD with ones internal card.

There may even be other ways or workarounds that others, with experience in this area, may chime in with.
Good Luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2010 20:57

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
sorry, i am using startech vcc svid2usb2. I'm not trying to capture directly to my card. thanks for your reply.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2010 22:48

mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I am still in the 'feeling my way' novice stage with PD8, however, I think I have the gist of what you are attempting to do. That is, transfer VHS film directly in to your PD8 program. I am sure this is not possible through the normal means of using the software and feel sure it is only Digital that will transfer, for instance via a Camcorder.

As has been suggested, if you want to transfer VHS you will need something like Logilink's Video and Audio grabber, with it's USB adaptor.

I know this may be very crude, but if you are really desperate to transfer the footage to PD8, you could do as I have in the past. Run your VHS tape through your TV and set up your camcorder to record it as it is running. Crazy or what! But it works and as long as you set up your camera correctly, the copy is fairly acceptable. Just make sure you don't cough or make any noise whilst it is recording or it will come out on top of your original footage. Might be better, if you're able, and as suggested previously, if you can link your video directly to your camcorder.

Hope you find a solution Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Phil, I have question about your startech vcc svid2usb2 device.

Are you using the driver that you can download from Startech?

http://www.startech.com/item-download/SVID2USB2-USB-to-S-Video-and-Composite-Video-Capture-Cable-with-Audio.aspx

I have very successfully transfered VHS tape using three methods. Method 1, a Standalone DVD recorder (copy the VOB files), Method 2 uses VideoAdvantage USB device and capture software, Method 3 is a Kworld PCI TV tuner and driver. This method works with Powerdirector 8's capture module.

The first two methods creates a file on the hard drive that you then import into PD8 Media library. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am using driver downloaded from startech. The startech works with windows movie maker, but unfortunatley pd8 does not recognize the audio " usb emp audio device" That"s why i get no audio. I still can't figure out why i get the false copyright problem.
phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
to mikejoed

Sorry if i was unclear. No, I'm not trying to capture directly. I am using a usb startech video capture device which i have used successfully with other programs. thanks for your input.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Phil thank you for clearing up that point.

Have you tried playing the file in some other player to see if the startech software is capturing the audio?

What file format is the output from the startech capture? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

phil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update on my problems. Pd8 recognizes the "emp audio device" (startech) now. Yesterday it didn't, but for some reason today it did. Perhaps I plugged it in at the wrong time. Perhaps a reboot helped. I don't know. So, the no sound problem is over.
Also I found that if i click the record button first and the vcr play button second, I can capture. If i do it the other way around; play on the vcr, then pd8 record, i get the copyrighted material error every time. Strange how you can trip onto a solution sometimes. Thanks for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 06. 2010 23:56

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Phil,

Thanks for posting an update. Your findings and solutions may well help someone in the future who uses the same Startech device with the same issues, and comes across this thread in a search. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Carl312
[Post New]
Also I found that if i click the record button first and the vcr play button second, I can capture

That is often the case for recording from a VCR at anytime. I learned years ago to start the recording system first.

If you get a little garbage at first, then so be it. Nice thing about Video editing, you can cut out the garbage in the captured file. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.