Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
saveing project and could open yesterday and today it gives me the black time line with errors???
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2010 20:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
now that I have figured out my camera, and run some limited tests this comes up!

I have read about how to save and the hidden files (don't really understand that and could not find them as recommended) I save as, as recommended but I can pull up the project the same day but wait a day and my time line is black, and get multiple errors about opening media. Also I have had more crashes or PD8 just shuts down freezes when trying to play back time line. I know this has been answered several times but everything I read is a little different. Have a i7 8 gig ram great graphic card so no problem there. running vista 64 bit any help would be great. I have read the how too section and the newbie stuff and done some searching and am saving to a specific folder that I set up threw the export folder in preferences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2010 20:13

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Without knowing exactly what the multiple errors say, you ask me to guess again. However, the commonest reasons are :-
1. the source files used have been moved/renamed etc.
or
2. you have shadow edit files enabled and they are malfunctioning

Both situations will probably give the error message "Browse,ignore, ignore all" (from memory) as the .pds file tries to locate the timeline files.

If the issue is 1. then you "should" be able to browse and find the files.

If (as I suspect) the issue is 2. then you need to switch off shadows. You may (but it may not be worthwhile) be able to recover your project but this has proved problematical in most cases.

Shadows are enabled/disabled by Alt-C>General>enable file processing box

Your media library should have green/yellow small filmstrip icons in the thumbnails if PD is generating shadows.

Screenshots of error messages and the timeline/library make it a lot easier to diagnose. Just for completness, I know what an i7 is, 8 Gb RAM is more than OK but I don't know what a great video card is.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2010 02:34

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Timon -

Where are the actual video clips you imported? Did you copy them to your PC's hard drive? If, by chance, you "imported" them from your camera which is now disconnected, that would explain the multiple errors.

If you copied the clips to your hard drive, ignore what I just said & refer to Adrian's post.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
Browse,ignore, ignore all is what I am getting it might be a combination of both your replies. I thought I had turned off the shadow files but I just checked and it was back on. I will try another test video, the good thing is that I am not working on anything that is to important just tests so when I dive into a major project I have the bugs worked out. BTW the video card is a Radeon HDd 4850 1 gig, I hope it is good enough!
I will be very careful with the source files for the videos.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Timon
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
so I followed the instructions, started a test video with several clips some fades added in but the original problem is coming up when I preview the video on the first fade the preview hangs up/ stops playing and the time line keeps moving, then PD8 just minimizes without warning I reopen it then it gives a program not responding and finally crashes any suggestions for this?? Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2010 12:13

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I preview the video on the first fade the preview hangs up/ stops playing and the time line keeps moving, then PD8 just minimizes without warning I reopen it then it gives a program not responding and finally crashes any suggestions for this??

A couple of things would help.

1. What is the origin of your video source files? Camera? Make? Model? file type? You might also install MediInfo which is a free application. Once the application is installed...right-click on one of your video files and then select MediaInfo....attach the text file of your results.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

2. It would also be helpful to attach a screen shot of your timeline, including the media room. It can help to see what might be the cause of your problem.

3. Just an experiment....with your project open...if you the change the duration of your fades transition (either longer or shorter) does it then hang when you play it back?

4. Another test: If you turn SHADOW FILES ON and you allow them to generate properly (this is detected by the thumbnail in the media room will have a yellow film clip which turns to Green when the shadow file is completed) foes your project STILL hang when it hits the transition?

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2010 13:25

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi timon,

I also did a search on the forum...type "hangs".... and search the Power Director 8 selection. I really couldn't find a definitive answer to the hanging issue. There were several people who had started topics about the subject. It was happening with Standard definition clips for one person and didn't hang with High Definition.

Some references to loading the latest patch , but I found a user who had build 3022....so it didn;t correct the problem.

Some references to turning off Shadow edit files helps.

Some references to running your processor with only 2 cores....no personal experience with this one.

Can you post a DxDiag file...that would help at least to see what is on your system.
Get you your "RUN" command...type DxDiag....save the results as a text file and post as an attachment.

Kevin
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
The camera is a go pro HD it spits out mp4, one thing that might be holding it up is that the vids are in 60fps but I thought PD* could handle it. I have checked my cpu while this happens but it is barely even working. I did some searching and did not find much I will try and change the time for the fade's. I am approaching the end of my rope with this software, it looks like it would be great if I could get it to work. I know it works for other people kind of a bummer!
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Timon,

That's right you were doing the slow motion stuff with your 60fps.....I looked up your other posts.

I also see you posted that your camera does record at 30fps....have you tried some of that footage to see if it still hangs at the transition point?

It sounds to me like you may need to compromise between getting the great slow motion you want and not being able to edit with 60fps second video. You might have to settle for 30fps.

I have no personal experience with that frame rate...all mine is shot in 30fps.

Kevin
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
This footage is all in regular time 60 fps 720p, I also noticed some real bad uploads from PD8 to you tube in 60fps. I am going to try some footage at 30fps and see if it hangs 60fps just might be too much for PD8 I am going to try 30fps and see what happens. I was just wanting to do video all in 60fps so I can select parts to render with my slow motion solution. The 60fps is by far the best to shoot action and water videos with the go pro HD!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
well I just did a test with 30fps with transitions no problems what so ever so I did a test save and we will see what happens looks like PD8 can not choke down 60fps mp4, I wonder if it hangs an playback because it plays back at 30fps and just cant keep up and the it just freezes. could be the transitions are for 30fps and not 60fps. I am going to convert some files and see what happens in WMM.
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I also added in some 60fps converted to 30fps slow-motion and no problems, so now I am thinking it has something to do with how PD8 Handel's 60fps, and transitions. It could be that it is to much for PD8 to go from 60fps to a 30fps transition and back to 60fps.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Timon -

Have you posted a 60fps sample clip for others to test? That would be good!

PD isn't the only software that has trouble
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186704
http://www.goprocamera.com/tips/fcp.php

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
yes it is on you tube and it looks fantastic! It was not done with PD8 just uploaded with PD8 to you tube it is 60fps down to 30fps so the original is half the time as the slow motion, all 60Fps at half speed(30fps)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ--YsKSJzw
I have read some of that information and I found a program to slow it down from 60fps and it is free, if you would like the info pm me and I will share it with you. I am going to try a repackage of the clips and see if PD8 will work with it in another format if not I guess 60fps will be for slow mo only!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2010 17:51

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Timon,

Tony wrote:
Hi Timon -

Have you posted a 60fps sample clip for others to test? That would be good!

What he is asking for is a short 5-10 second sample clip from your camera, so we can download it and test it in Power Director to see what we experience from the video file. We can't download the raw file from YouTube. You need to attach a sample in your followup post here on this topic.

Kevin
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know this will sound a little slow but how should I do that, link?
I just changed the format to m2ts and it appears to be better in 60fps!
I really appreciate the input thanks a ton!!!!!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2010 19:49

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Timon,

When you respond to your post...select ATTACHMENTS and then browse your PC for a short sample file of the RAW footage(unconverted) of the 60fps from your camera.

Then select SUBMIT and it should then upload it.

Regards,

Kevin

Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still hanging up even on a 30fps video that was saved, it looks like I can save videos with out any problems now. but PD is still minimizing with out any warning I just don't get it.

I also tried to upload a video mp4 2 ways straight from the camera and my desktop and it said saving and just got stuck it is 7 sec long any ideas on that!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 29. 2010 12:54

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Timon,

Depending on the size of the video clip and the speed of your internet connection, it may take a bit to upload and ATTACHMENT to your post.

But once you select the submit button it should then upload. It might be that you just need to be patient and allow it to upload. Other than that I don't know what else could be wrong.

Kevin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I'm tempted to lock this thread.

Dafydd