Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
60fps to 30fps no frame loss slow motion PD* this is what it looks like :)
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2010 20:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ--YsKSJzw

I think PD8 did a good job after file was converted from 60fps to 30fps now you can use the 60fps setting on your HD video recorder for something!!! it can even be slowed down from 30fps to get ultra slow motion at with no frame loss. and yes the slow motion video is 2X as long as the original. PS watch it in HD 720p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2010 13:42

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Timon, this isn't a question or a problem for PD8. All you're doing is using the editing tools available to reduce the speed of your video.

Look at the footage as a block of electronic data recorded by a device (a camera). When the information is presented to PD8 the default display will segments the data into recognised chunks of 29.97 or 25. IF you examine the 59.94fps progressive footage you'll see the bitrate is higher than the 29.97fps footage of the same time period. Along with different settings and selections cameras record variable quality. The 59.94fps is likely to have recorded a higher res than 29.97fps and it is also possible the 59.94fps bitrate is twice as good as the 29.97fps rate. Therefore slowing down the speed of the footage will just extend the viewing time and display the video at the same quality of the lower frame rate.

My camera takes a wide variety of frame rates and resolutions. I chose 1080p 60fps if I want to localise and slow down a scene - a bird flying etc.

Please learn to use your camera and edit without having to publish every discovery.

Thank you.

Dafydd
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2010 20:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
A go pro is a POV cam and you can do very little editing with it basically start and stop is very limited (but it is waterproof).
I used a separate program to take the 60 FPS and slow all the frames down to 30fps so half speed then drop into PD8, so PD8 did the rendering at 30 fps to you tube! No editing used there.

You could slow it down from there by slowing play back but what u see here is a full 60 fps down to 30fps. What my posts were getting at is could PD8 do this? Everything I have read regarding this in the search in this forum says no, and PD8 did not! The rez is the same on the go pro 30fps@720p and 60fps@720p It is a discovery, I wanted to share because some other people here use go pros for sports action its a $240 cam. I am happy for you that you can edit with your camera it sounds like it is a good one, with more options than go pro users have.

This being said here is the same video doing it the way you are talking about Dafydd drop the 60FPS vid into PD8 use power tools to slow it down by half, and render to you tube. Is it 2X as long yes, you will notice it is not as smooth and crisp and the overall feel is jittery. I know you think you know what I did but you don't, so please let me share this little discovery with other that might want to do the same.
Timon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMsWmJ9aESI

I wont waste any more of your time here!
If anyone is interested PM me and I will tel you how!
Timon

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2010 20:15