Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Errors reopening a project??
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2010 20:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Saved a project with PD and get errors that I can not re open with PD any help with this???
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
It's critical that you don't rename any of the files or the folders they are in, or move the folders to a different location on your drive after you have saved the project file.

Could this be the case, as it unwittingly happened to me once when I was "tidying-up" my folders Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Timon,

Saved a project with PD and get errors that I can not re open with PD any help with this???

It might help us to determine why it wouldn't open if you give a little more information. When you say you get errors....What were the errors? Could you describe them?

What Trevor described is a common problem when attempting to reopen a project. If all is working correctly Power Director should prompt you to "browse" for these missing files. Were you prompted?

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I saved it to my desk top the error comes up right away it says error opening media when power director tries to load the files. I will do a search on saving a project! I did save to my desktop that might have done it I am also wondering can you set the default folder where PD8 saves?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2010 13:00

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Timon -

Yes - in Preferences, you can set the default output folders for produced files & projects.

If the error is "Error opening media", that would usually indicate that the project is opening but PD is having trouble with part of it.

A stress-free workflow is to gather all necessary media (or copies of...) together in a folder & keep it there for the duration of the project.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I changed the path to to a video file, PD8 likes to keep it all in one place, i will be careful about keeping a "stress free workflow" I like the stress free part.
Thank you!
Artefaktum [Avatar]
Newbie Location: near by Frankfurt, Germany Joined: Jun 14, 2009 09:19 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

this issue was the same with PD 7. It appeared, since I use an USB drive for storage. If you open the folder with the clips without even selecting any file, PD opens all files needed in this directory. But when you play the clips I experienced only the first file works fine. The others - at least some of them - are played very slowly. First I believed, that my computer had an issue until I found out, that this feature does not work properly.

With PD 7 (and 8 now too) it was possible to export the files. If you selected the same folder only the path was removed (see PDS file: 'SRC=clipname'). But in version 8 the procedere was changed. Now, the program duplicates the clips and adds a character '(1)' to the names. Needless to say how long this last much longer.

Thus it is impossible to use an external drive or move the files.

Solution:
Edit .PDS file and change the drive letter (or the directory). - Very nice!

Can anyone help me?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2010 04:17

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD8 is Exporting the project, it is doing the correct action. It is your selection of the folder location which is wrong. Opt to create a "clean" folder each time you select to Export and Pack Project Materials (the project). The purpose is for all files to be created to that location. Duplication of file names is overcome by the addition of a letter.

It is NOT impossible to use an external drive.

Please use the function to Export > Pack Project Materials > Browse for a location NOTE: This means you look for an empty NEW folder to place the data.

Artefaktum. Please start your own Topic/thread.

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 26. 2010 06:17

Artefaktum [Avatar]
Newbie Location: near by Frankfurt, Germany Joined: Jun 14, 2009 09:19 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, for your answer. Indeed, I added a new subject but I believe, it is linked to the subject of this thread. Only one point: after 'Export' it is possiblie to open the project on (all files in the same folder required) on every directory. The behavior of PD7 pleased me more.

But the answer to the question, why PD replays the clips after a reopening error only very slow, is not given. This happened in PD7 too. If the 'reopen error' occurs I can only select one file. For the others the program seems to search them in that directory, where the first is selected. The clips format is MP4 (AVC/H.264). Thanks in advance.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
As I indicated. Start a new topic/thread please.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Hilde00
Newbie Location: Evans, Georgia Joined: Sep 25, 2010 22:00 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: As I indicated. Start a new topic/thread please.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Please tell me where I find the place for a new topic. Where do I go?
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Hilde00,
At the top or bottom of the forum page you should see a button that says New Topic

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
If you are on the "recent topics" page there is no "New Topic" you will have to go to this page.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/55.page My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Hilde00
Newbie Location: Evans, Georgia Joined: Sep 25, 2010 22:00 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Hilde00,
At the top or bottom of the forum page you should see a button that says New Topic

Hal

Thank you!! Finally I learned something new had no idea I have to go to the forum page.
Thanks again