Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Are there OEM restrictions for non-activated PowerDVD8?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I obtained PowerDVDv8 bundled with the blu-ray player I purchased when building my PC.

SPECS:
- ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard
- AMD Phenom II X2 555 black edition processor
- Corsair 2x 2Gb XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz memory
- Gigabyte HD 5770 1Gb GDDR5 video card
- LG 10x OEM blu ray player / DVD writer
- Windows 7 Pro
- connected via HDMI to 42" Vizio E420VL LCD TV

Granted, I haven't activated my PowerDVD software yet (it's not obvious where you get a key for v8 on this site).

There are only two sound settings for watching videos with this software when using an HDMI cable. PCM output sounds terrible; the dialogue is soft, and special effects are very loud. AC3/DTS passthrough seems to work just fine for the first day or two, then suddenly stops working for the blu ray movie itself, but not the previews.

Am I correct in assuming that the reason AC3/DTS passthrough stops working is because my version isn't activated? If so, how the heck do I buy an activation key for version 8 on this website?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Lots of views, no replies?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am very disappointed with the lack of response for both the ticket I created and my post here on the boards. Both have sat in the system for days, and the techs won't even be bothered.

Thanks for giving me all that I needed to know. We'll see what your competitors have to offer.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James,

First, as it says at the top of the forum index page, this forum is for users and is not a way to communicate with CyberLink.

Second, I find it confusing. I didn't think you could run PowerDVD without first entering an activation key. Was it pre-installed on your computer? No, right? You said it came with the BD Player you purchased. So you installed the software from a disc provided?

Third, you should contact manufacturer of your Blu-ray Disc player (LG) for the activation key if you do not have it, not CyberLink, since it is an OEM version. They should have provided the key with your copy of the software.

Fourth, yes OEM versions are often limited versions. The LG version may not include a Dolby license, or a limited trial for one. You should ask LG what is included in the version you got. It should say in the readme.

Hope that helps
Dave