Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trouble with videos from go pro hero hd can not upload to you tube full hd soooo frustrating
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2010 20:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
ugh why dose power director 8 not allow me to upload to youtube in full HD
go pro uses mp4 but why have the quality if you can not use it. I have downloaded several programs and spent hours trying to figure out windows media profile editor and prx files you would expect more out of such a robust program, is there a decent fix with out having to upload 5 new programs!!!!
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Timon,

The automatic uploading feature inside PD and most other programs is designed for the lowest common denominator.

I don't use it mainly because if the process fails half way through the process you never know if it was the producing of the video or the uploading to youtube that caused the problem and believe me it is so frustrating to find out at the end that you just wasted all that time.

I find the easiest is to produce the video to the format and bit rate that I want and just manually upload to youtube. Youtube also just included a new method of uploading to youtube which will resume your upload if there is a problem with your connection half way through the upload.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
so you do the video in pd 8 then upload! what format do you save your finished video in for highest quality
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have a GoPro HD yet but I am looking at getting one for my hang gliding.

I have a Panasonic TZ7 which records a maximum 1280X720 at 17Kbps. Through a tip from Adrian a senior contributor here I actually produce my videos to the Portable MPEG-4 "Mobile Phone" format which is at 9Kbps and I find a great balance between size and quality for youtube.

I have spent a long time experimenting with video for youtube and my old camera can shoot at 1920X1080 but have now decided that it really is not worth the extra disc space and work to produce my videos for youtube at anything over 720 as the difference is marginal. Maybe if I had a 50" plasma it would be different but for my large computer screen it is hard to see any appreciable difference.

Your requirements may vary, I would suggest producing a small video in two separate formats and bit rates, one at the same bit rate and format the camera shoots in and one in the Mobile phone setting and see which one works for you.

Welcome to the frustrating and exciting world of video editing.

Here is my last video I uploaded to youtube and also a test I did on a friends GoProHD video to see if I could improve the quality. Just know the GoProHD footage I edited is the Youtube footage not raw footage out of the camera.

TZ7 footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3yiPst2Cro

GoPro HD footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwi6kCcDfBU

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2010 01:26

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
good stuff, I still need a easy solution I have seen some killer go pro full HD on you tube!
frustrating is right! any other ideas!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
No further ideas but I will say if your looking for great HD video editing and easy, good luck. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just want to publish Full HD why buy the camera and software if it dose not work lots of people put up full 1080p that looks great with the go pro i want to do it also!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Timon, I am not saying don't upload 1080p video I am just saying in my experience it is not worth the extra work and disc space for youtube which re-renders you footage anyway and also doubles the megabytes you have to download to watch the video. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Timom,

I'm with Robert on this one. If you want to upload 1080p video to Youtube, then Produce your footage to one of the 1080p profiles, and upload your production from your YT channel.
If you require the better profiles, they are available. But you will need to do the work of uploading a full, 1080p, high bit rate, HD project, to Youtube from your YT account. The PD uploader will not provide this flexability for you.

And what Robert is saying is correct. In many cases, there is hardly any discernable difference between a 720p and 1080p upload, depending on the source files. Well there is one difference. An upload that may take 1 or 2 hours, and one that takes 40 minutes.
Just do some tests. Produce 15 seconds of footage at a bunch of different profiles. Upload them to YT and set them to private. Then look at them, and decide which looks best. And use that profile from here on out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2010 02:21

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Quote: Timom,

An upload that may take 1 or 2 hours, and one that takes 40 minutes.

And for someone like me who has a maximum 250K upload speed, download is fine, it is the difference between 7-8 hours compared to 3 or 4 hours

I can't wait till our government runs out the new high speed broadband system here in Australia. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
so what is the best way to make a movie and upload it to you tube, imtoo MPEG seems like a good conversion platform but how can I keep HD in PD8 and convert
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Timon -

The best options I've used for You Tube are:

MP4(what Robert suggested)... 1280x720

WMV Standard... 1280x720

If you want to upload fill HD 1920X1080, you can modify one of the WMV/YouTube profiles found at C:/ Program Files/ Cyberlink/Power Director/ Language/ ENU(or select your language)/ Profiles

Here's a tutorial to help with that... http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/17/vw2RlzIt9EM

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2010 17:22

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok i have tried that and I can not get the editor I downloaded .net4,media encoder4,Microsoft expreson4, and the encoder you recommended for vista, now what where is the editor?? man this is a total bummer.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Timon,

Are you saying that none of the 1920x1080 profiles (some have 2 or 3), built in and available in PD's Produce module (e.g Mpeg2, Mpeg4, H264 AVC, WMV, etc.), suit your needs?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2010 20:50

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
yep and I finally got the editor to come up but can not save it says contact editor so now i work on that!!!
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
I mean contact admin, her is the deal I want to import my files in edit them (mp4 H264 raw file for go pro HD) and create a good wmv file I want to convert them once I could do all my edit to mp4 then use ImToo MPEG encoder to convert that would be way too many encoding's I just want a solid HD finished file I can upload to you tube and save. any help!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Timon,

As I said welcome to the frustrating and exciting world of video editing. To save your sanity I would just do the 15 second clips as Cranston suggested and start from there. At the moment it sounds as though you are spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.

One question, have you uploaded any footage to youtube yet or are you still in the preparation stage?

I say this because until you get to see how much youtube alters the video you won't have a baseline to see what works. Until youtube changes their system my videos always look better on my computer than they do after youtube re-renders them.

Good luck Timon, it takes time to find the settings that work best for each individual, I hope you find the settings that work for you.

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Timon Gasowski [Avatar]
[Post New]
yep got some great stuff up but I decoded it in HD wmv and uploaded it strait to u tube full HD looks good if i use PD i have to re render and that looses quality, This program is really starting to suck WMM is way easy and I might scrap having better editing tools for ease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There has got to be a better way!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Timon -

What are you using? Media Encoder? or something else?

I'm not sure (a) exactly what you want, (b) exactly what you're doing, or (c) what your response is to Cranston's question..

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Well good luck on your journey Timon as I also said, editing and easy in relation to HD video is not yet at that stage with consumer editing programs.

I personally think PowerDirector is about the easiest of the consumer editing programs out there at the moment. You may find WMM easier to use but as you are finding out it is very restricted in what you can actually do with it. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn