Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio 1 second ahead of video on entire project.
[Post New]
Please help! This is my first project since upgrading to PowerDirector 8 and getting a new camera. I currently have a 1.5 hour project and the audio is out of sync with the video by 1 second. I sorta noticed while editing that the preview audio seem a little off but I assumed it was just the preview and that when I burned a DVD it would be ok.

Here are the specifics:
Camera: Canon Vixia HF200
File type: .mts which were downloaded to the harddrive and then imported into the powerdirector project
My project: A 1.5 hour vacation video of Ireland with video and photos, lots of fade transitions, a secondary audio track with Irish background music, some PIP stuff too. I've done alot of tweaking of the secondary audio track and the master video soundtrack sound levels so that dialog can be heard so that music is playing when there is no dialog to be heard.

The problem:
I went to create disc and chose the Create DVD Folder. I wrote to a 8.5 GB DVD the video_ts file. I'm able to play the DVD in a DVD player, it looks great and sound great except for the audio on the master video track being 1 second ahead throughout the entire DVD. It was at that point I went back into Powerdirector and notice the same problem while previewing the video.

I've done some searches of this board and read alot but issues with audio sync on .mts files but didn't see any solution. I did have the option set to "enable file processing to speed up high definition video editing" at the time I was working on the project. I turned it off because I read it might be part of the problem but I still have the problem.

What can I do to fix the audio issue without redoing the whole project?

What can I do in the future to avoid the issue?
MikeB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: May 17, 2009 23:05 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kelly,

Just curious whether the audio that is out of sync is the original audio directly out of the camera or did you manipulate the audio using audio software before placing it into the audio track?

Mike
Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2010 15:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have had this problem in the past with other editing software and could never solve it, assuming my PC was underpowered based on that software's Tech Support, so before I purchased PD8, I asked Tech Support about it. This is the response I got:

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand that you need to make sure that while working on files in PowerDirector 8 software you do not get Auido/Video Sync issue.

In response to your issue please note that the issue mainly happens if the Audio/Video card drivers are old. So make sure that you are running the latest drivers.

Thanks and Regards,

Piyush
CyberLink Technical Support
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kelly,

Just curious whether the audio that is out of sync is the original audio directly out of the camera or did you manipulate the audio using audio software before placing it into the audio track?

Mike

It's the original audio on the master video file. I did not split the audio into a separate track.
[Post New]
Quote: In response to your issue please note that the issue mainly happens if the Audio/Video card drivers are old. So make sure that you are running the latest drivers.

I'll check the drivers when I get home but I doubt that is the issue. I'll also do some experiments. From what I read in the forum, sometimes if you edit a video (trim) it will cause a problem with the sync with all the videos behind it. I also read that some people had issues when using the fade transition. I have fade between every clip in the movie! Somehow I enabled it fade for the first 30 minutes of scenes (movie magic?) and I don't know how to get rid of the fade in that section.

Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Kelly. (some things I would probably do to troubleshoot this problem)
1. Since you have a NEW camcorder, have you previewed the raw (unedited) clips using software other than PD-8?
If the A/V plays in sync, then probably the camcorder can be illiminated a the source of this problem.
2. Start a NEW PD-8 project and place only 1 clip in the timeline and preview it. If the A/V plays in sync,
add 2 or 3 more clips and preview again.
If the A/V plays back in sync, then add all the remaining clips to the timeline and preview again
3. I'll stop here to wait for your response.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 12. 2010 10:42

The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
[Post New]
Bob,

I've haven't found another program that will play my highdef .mts files on the computer with out getting completely choppy. I have played back the videos by hooking my camera up to the TV using HDMI and watching it that way - the audio was in perfect sync there so I think my camera is ok and raw files are ok.

I'll try your experiments when I get home and let you know the results.
[Post New]
Hello. I was all set for a long day of experiments to resolve the problem but my first experiment actually worked!!

First of all let me clarify what the symptoms were. Upon closer examination, the audio was in sync at the beginning but by the time you got to the end of the 1.5 hour video it was a good 2 seconds off.

This is what I did to fix the problem.
1. Open my Project.
2. Do a File "Save as" and saved my project to a new name. (just in case I totally screwed things up worse).
3. On my newly saved project, I clicked on the first video clip, held down the shift key and clicked on the last clip. (Basically I did a "select all").
4. I hit the delete key which erased all tracks from the timeline. The timeline now is completely blank.
5. I clicked the "undo" icon on the upper left of the screen.
6. I waited a few minutes for all my tracks to reappear.

I watched several clips throughout the video and there were all in synch!

What I relief. I'm not sure why it got messed up. I have turned off the shadow files since I suspect that was part of the problem. I read about this fix on this forum so whoever figured it out thanks!
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hey, Kelly.
That's good that you have solved that problem.

p.s. if you're going to be burning a lot of your vids,
might I suggest purchasing at least one rewriteable disc.
(that is, if you haven't already done so.)

life is good in HD.....and soon in 3D.... The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
[Post New]
I have several rewritable DVDs. Too bad I didn't use one in this case!