Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why encoded video has weird contrast?
[Post New]
Hi all...

I have a project that uses several clips in AVCDH lite format.
Well, watching at these clips with Microsoft MediaPlayer, i see them with exxagerated contrast. Watching them with VLC i see them perfectly.

PowerDirector, in the preview window shows me all clips with perfect contrast but, after encoding the final result in MPEG2 1280x720 i see them like MediaPlayer does (both using MediaPlayer and VLC). I tried also encoding AVCHD 1280x720, both NTSC and PAL but nothing changes...

I wonder what's changing my clips contrast during enconding phase, and if there is something I can do to avoid this issue...

P.S. I attach a screenshot to show the difference between preview (correct) and final video (incorrect).
[Thumb - screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
440 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I see the difference and to my eye the final result looks better to me.

Regarding the preview it is just an indication of the final product and even choosing the best quality it will not equal perfectly to the final product. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Thank you for answering Robert,

I accept the fact that you like more the final result, but i wonder why VLC shows me the original clip as PowerDirector does, and after the encoding process it shows that difference. I don't think that an encoder will alter the contrast this way, no matter the quality settings...

Umberto
[Post New]
Found it!

My ATI Radeon 4570 video driver had the "Avivo" video "enhancing" feature turned on.

It looks like this function is used both by MediaPlayer for playing and PD for encoding (but not for preview). VLC seems to be "immune" to this feature.

Turning it to "Application settings" now finally have my beloved low contrast video!

Thanks all! Umberto