Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Project save apparently corrupted file
[Post New]
Hi all, just encountered a strange project file corruption issue.

This issue has been encountered also in thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/9333.page#41208

Apparently, after saving i lost a couple video clips references, that have been replaced by a black clip named "0,0,0".

By examining the project file (kudos to CyberLink for using XML and not binary!) i found that the missing files are defined somewhere and given an ID (say 53) but where referred by the timeline, the referring tag contains the clip name but IDREF="-1". By replacing -1 with 53 and saving, the project were correctly restored.

Hope this may be useful for fixing this bug... looks like some kind of "out of bounds" error.

Umberto
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
black clip named "0,0,0" is a black color board. Did you use one ? If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
[Post New]
Yes i used it in a couple places to get black background for titles and fade into black for certain clips.

After saving the project for the N-th time and reopening it, that black color board replaced a clip in the timeline. No way to replace the original clip at its place. The only way to fix that without messing all timings of surrounding clips (by adding again the clip then deleting the bad one then readjusting everything etc) was to edit the project file.

I'm not sure but this issue may be due to subsequent save operations (maybe by clicking too much times on the save button?)

Regards, Umberto
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using shadow files for processing HD video? You will know if you see orange icons appearing in your HD media in the library which eventually will turn green when the shadow files are generated. Your problem sounds like a similar issue that has been reported previously where shadow files caused data corruption and the black bars appearing. If you have a quad core PC and a good video card I recommend that you turn shadow files off in preferences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2010 15:06

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Yes, i used shadow files for editing.

I have a dual core at 2.66 ghz with an ATI 4570 512Mb ram + 4 gm ram + win7 32bit.

Maybe for next project i'll try to disable shadows.

Thank you. Umberto
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I would try turning it off considering the graphics card you are using. You can use PD to accelerate video playback as well as for rendering. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Umberto,
Shadow files are of use to those who have lower end PC's to edit HD footage. The creation of shadow files as James has mentioned is not without problems. The error you've had appear on the video track is typical of one you'll find mentioned if you use Search. James is correct in guiding you to wait for all shadow files to be produced before starting to edit - even that can not always be successful.

Your PC while OK for 720p HD footage isn't sufficiently powerful enough to function easily with full HD.

The solution for you to edit HD video (1080p etc) is to upgrade your PC. Even mine struggles with HD, but I know the stress point.

Please look up members PC spec.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page

Cameras:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2010 05:02

[Post New]
Dafydd, full HD is not necessary to me at the moment.

Then i'll disable shadow file generation and will work with original clips until i stay in the 720p boat.

Thank you! Umberto

P.S. Not to be polemic, but i still consider this as a bug. I suppose that when an application doesn't behave as expected, this may be considered a bug. And losing clips in the time line really looks an unexpected behavior

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2010 06:17

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Yep, so do most of us consider this to be a bug.

I have reported on the issue numerous times and experienced the problem first hand some time ago. I wrote the issue up as one of the creation problems when PD8 was a beta. Unfortunately even I cant pin down as to why and when it actually can be encountered.

Shutting off shadow edit file creation eliminated the worry and like most editors I wanted to edit

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2010 06:55