Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fine tuning video clips length without affecting subsequent clips
[Post New]
Hi all!

I'm looking for a way to fine tune the length of a video clip without shifting subsequent clips... something that will affect the length of both the current and next clip (ex: if i make a clip longer, the next will become shorter by the same time amount...)

This will let me fine tuning all transitions without worrying about messing all the remaining video / music synchronization...

Is it possible?

Thank you! Umberto
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Make a copy of the clip onto a PIP track.

Now you have two identical tracks running together.
Make timeline positions where it will be OK to stretch the video - Not where talking or singing in close-up on screen.
Use the Power Tools Video Speed to change part of one section faster, the next sect slower.

Do all changes ONLY on one track leaving the Master Track untouched.

Now MUTE the track you changed if it messed up the sound when you speed it up, because PD will drop the sound if its too fast or slow.

You can now use the sound from the master tack and move its video off-screen

Result: Master sound with PIP video

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2010 10:39

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
[Post New]
This is a really good trick. Thank you!

Anyway my question was about making the previous clip longer and the second shorter by acting only on the trim points (supposing that both clips have been trimmed) and not on video speed.

I explain with a schema:

before:

after:

I simply wondered if it's possible to drag the (^) and get the result in one move. I know it's a really specific request... but just wondered if it was possible. Looks like it's not possible so, to exactly get the same result, i need to track down (A) length, adjust it, compute the difference by checking the new (A) length and apply this difference (by numerically editing the clip duration) to (B).

Only a little bit longer.

Regards. Umberto

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Works well with landscape and still life.

Changing speed to slower also works well when zooming in on artwork.

Most camersa have a jerk or lurch when zooming starts and finishes.

Clip out the beigin and end portion of a zoom and then stretch the remaininder by as much as 2X

You will then have a very good zoom. Slow and stable. If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem