Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Applying transitions without change timings
[Post New]
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum!

I have a very basic question...
I timed a movie on the soundtrack, but without transitions...

Now i wish to add some transition but i noticed that when i do it, the transition changes the clip timing by "eating" a bit, because of the cross fade overlaying. Is there a way to avoid this?

For example... if i trimmed a video, i'd expect that the cross fade will use part of trimmed video for the overlay...
moreover, if i work with pictures, i don't see the point in changing timings because the picture is still...

Any hint please? Thank you! Umberto
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Umberto,

The best way to avoid the timing problem is to get the video and transitions and other effects added before you add the audio track.

Personally, if I am using any amount of transitions, effects etc, I like to have them in place, then produce the file with no audio. I will then remove all the items from all tracks, use the produced file in the master video track, then add the audio and time as required.

Depending on your system, this can save a lot of time in the long run. With my system, I can render an mpg2 file of 5 - 6 minutes length, with transitions and effects etc in about 2 minutes. Rendering time will depend on your system and the type of files you are working with. I should also mention that currently I am working with SD video only. I have not yet started working with HD video.

With this system I do end up with a few more .pds files, and about 10+ minutes extra time on a full length video (45 - 60 minutes). But, it is worth it as there are many less headaches and problems.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
[Post New]
Hal,

Too bad the way you suggested doesn't fit my needs. I wish to adapt transitions and clips lengths to the music so i need to keep all of them "live". Moreover, i created the "draft" without transitions to define timings without being annoyed by them but now i see that it's not the right approach.

In my mind, i tought that first came clips timings, then came details (transitions)... must change my mind now

Umberto
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hal,

Too bad the way you suggested doesn't fit my needs. I wish to adapt transitions and clips lengths to the music so i need to keep all of them "live". Moreover, i created the "draft" without transitions to define timings without being annoyed by them but now i see that it's not the right approach.

In my mind, i tought that first came clips timings, then came details (transitions)... must change my mind now

Umberto

What I do, because I usually have to sync the audio with the video/pictures I use, is to edit the video/pictures. Add the transitions and then add the audio track.

THEN you need to go to each clip and either increase the end of the one before the transition or the beginning of the next one to have it fit your needs. If it doesn't need to be too precise then you can do this by dragging the clips bigger or shorter. If it is more precise then you will need to open the multi-trim screen, to find out the in and out markers and either increase the clip and then split it at the time you want. OR get the mark in and out times on the multi-trim screen, then open trim screen and put in the times you want. My experience is that if you have a 2.00 transition usually a 1.22 difference in the clip helps. It might not totally solve the problem, you might have to tweak more, but this will achieve what you are trying to do.