Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Talking heads editing
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2010 08:50 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Can anyone help, I am new to PD and I am using it at the moment for editing interview infomation. As part of this I want to take quotes from different interviews and then edit them into one clip. I was planning on having one window open with the interview in and another with the new clip file so I could watch an interview and when a relevent quote comes up, split it out and paste it into the new clip file. However, PD doesn't seem to work this way, I then thought it may be possible to have 2 timelines open but can figure out if this is possible.

Can anyone suggest the best way to approch what I need to do?

Thanks!
Derek
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Absolutely you can do what you wish.

For example you can have a master clip in the top time line and a sub-clip on the PIP line(s)
You can then watch along any one track with the others turned off until you find a section which you like.
Make spit points Ctrl-T at approx the start and end of a section

Do this along all the tracks you have on-screen.

Now what you do is complex to describe but you will get the hang of it by trying.

lets say that on the master track at 1 minute 20 seconds you want to inset a section from track 2
You go to that point on track 1 and drag an empty space at that point by dragging the second section of track 1 off to the right. You will now have track 1 ending at 1m 20s and a big gap and then the remainder of track 1

Now on track 2 you need to drag the wanted section to the left until it is positioned under the gap on track 1

If you played everything now you would see travk1 then track 2 then track 1 again.

Now, on track 2 you need to double click and make it fill the screen since by default is only shows as part-screen .

Do this for all the segments you wish to insert into track 1

When you get good at that you will eventually want to do clever tricks like fades and other transitions but for now just do jump cuts

You can also have the output be

track1 track2 track2 track3 track1 track4

Hope you understand this. If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Thanks for you reply! That sounds exactaly like what I need to do and how I have tried to do it but I had been using the master track and it won't allow you to just drag the sections around, but now I use the pip tracks I see you can do this!

Thanks, great advice!
Derek
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, right I am messing aroung with using the pip tracks but I've stumbled over some problems. In the master track I can copy and paste a section no problem, however in the pip tracks I don't seem to be able to copy and paste.

Also, when I bring something into the pip track it is smaller in the screen and I have to drag it out every time, is there a way to make it full screen.

Sorry for all the questions, I have 8 x 2 & 1/2 hour videos to edit and the quicker I do these little functions the better!

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated!
Derek
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
When a video is placed on a PIP track it is smaller by default. In doing so you can see that there is something behind it (or not)
You now edit/cut slide around to get it in the correct time placement.
Then you either click Modify or you can double-click on the PIP segment and it will open a window where you can grab the highlighted cornera and drag them to be eirher full-screen or bigger.

Why? because in other editing scenarios you may not just want to butt-joint or overlay the title track. Your PIP track could be a transparent image or one with motion moving across the screen.

In other words your PIP track can do hundreds of things you have not thought of yet.

Practice and experiment - You will amaze yourself.

[movie removed..]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2010 07:45

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! Great advice! Basically I have just started using this software and have a deadline to meet. Hopefully once it is over I can relax a little and realy get to know what it can do! It seems very powerful and usefull, once you know what to do!

How about copying and pasting in pip tracks? Is this possible?

Thanks!
Derek
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, another quick question.

If I have a PD file with sa6 6 clips in the time line that I have split from one original file, is there a way of selectring say clip 3 and just producing this one and not the rest? OR can you produce each clip to output as a seporate file rather than one colplete movie so you would get 6 clips?

Thanks,
Derek
Videocentricity
[Post New]
Not really, but there is a kind of a cheat mthod

Start with 6 clips in the timeline

SAVE THE PROJECT. !!!

Delete as many clips as you like

Produce the video

Now, back in Edit, type Ctrl-Z control and z repeatedly and you should start seeing the clips re-appear as the undo is putting them back up to a maximum set in your undo preferences.
If you lose everything clear the workspace from the File menu and load the last project again.

Dodgy but it works. Test it with a few samples before spending hours editing, cuz its the software equivalent of russian roulette with a semi-automatic If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
rallyka2001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
yeah, I had done similar but I have so many to do it's taking ages! cheers!