Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to upload YouTube Videos in HD (720P) & WideScreen?
Kelvin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2010 03:22 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to Cyberlink Powerdirector and have never used the earlier versions, I would like to know how to upload my youtube videos in HD at 720p and at widescreen.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
My HD videos are usually about 4 to 5 minutes and the original AVCHD is way too big for me to upload, so I usually produce to MPEG 2 720p and then use Pazera video to flash converter to convert it to Flash video. I set it to 720 at the highest bitrate. It looks Ok and is much smaller. WMV is another good option. I think 720 is WMV 9 HD standard quality if I remember correctly. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Kelvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
But on one of my recent videos, when I try to upload directly to youtube, in the profile field, I only have the HD quality to be 960 x 720, not 1280 x 720. Is there a way to add a custom profile to be at 1280 x 720 + widescreen? Or do you suggest another way to have my youtube videos uploaded in HD (720p) + widescreen?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2010 03:58

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you are getting a 960 x 720 video, your project is set to 4:3. You need to change your project to 16:9.

Directors Chair>Edit>Aspect Ratio. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Oh, I upload mine directly to YouTube. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kelvin,

If you choose to upload directly to Youtube through Power Director 8, the only profiles available to use are the wmv profiles. If you choose the "HD Quality" Profile, you may not be too happy with the results unless you create or change that particular profile. The bitrate is set to 1,500Kbps and the quality won't be too great once its uploaded to YouTube. You can create your own custom profiles that will appear in the profile drop-down list. You might try a bitrate value that is larger (5,000Kbps - 8,000Kbps). Just a suggestion....it depends on the level of quality that you are looking to achieve. It takes a bit of experimentation to find a profile setting that meets your specific needs.

Carl is right on the money regarding your aspect ratio of your project being set to 4:3.....you won't be able to choose 1280x720(HD quality) profile in the YouTube upload tab unless your project is set to 16:9.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Kelvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kelvin,

If you choose to upload directly to Youtube through Power Director 8, the only profiles available to use are the wmv profiles. If you choose the "HD Quality" Profile, you may not be too happy with the results unless you create or change that particular profile. The bitrate is set to 1,500Kbps and the quality won't be too great once its uploaded to YouTube. You can create your own custom profiles that will appear in the profile drop-down list. You might try a bitrate value that is larger (5,000Kbps - 8,000Kbps). Just a suggestion....it depends on the level of quality that you are looking to achieve. It takes a bit of experimentation to find a profile setting that meets your specific needs.

Carl is right on the money regarding your aspect ratio of your project being set to 4:3.....you won't be able to choose 1280x720(HD quality) profile in the YouTube upload tab unless your project is set to 16:9.

Regards,

Kevin

I know that you can create custom profiles in the file tab using the Windows Media Profile Editor, but I can't find my custom profiles on the youtube upload tab, I only can find my custom profiles on the file WMV profile type. Also, I have black bars at the top and at the bottom. I would say the aspect ratio of my videos are 16:9 already. My problem now is making it widescreen (no black bars on top, bottom, left & right). Anyone knows how to make my videos widescreen?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2010 18:16

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kelvin,

I know that you can create custom profiles in the file tab using the Windows Media Profile Editor, but I can't find my custom profiles on the youtube upload tab, I only can find my custom profiles on the file WMV profile type.

This is where you should be able to find the YouTube WMV file that you can add or edit. The YouTube profiles are the highlighted files within the folder. Those are the ones used by Power Director when you select the YouTube tab and upload through PD8. Be careful not to change the first part of the name of the file...specifically "YouTube_16_9_" this is how PD8 loads the profile into the drop-down list.

This is how they will appear when you select the YouTube tab and you are working with a 16:9 project.

Also, I have black bars at the top and at the bottom. I would say the aspect ratio of my videos are 16:9 already. My problem now is making it widescreen (no black bars on top, bottom, left & right).

Yes it appears that the videos you are using may be in wide screen, but it sounds like your "Project settings" in PD are set to 4:3, so this is why you are seeing the black bars in the preview window as well as the final video on YouTube.
To change your "Project Aspact Ratio" settings...do this.....Open PD8....click on the Directors Chair Icon.....select EDIT.....then select Aspect Ratio.....change the setting from 4:3 to 16:9.....that PROBABLY will fix your problem. If your video files are NOT true 16:9 video clips you may still get black bars.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2010 19:32

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Guys -

I can't add much to the excellent advice above, except to state that:

For a 16:9 project, WMV 9 HD Standard Quality is 1280x720 with a bitrate of 6MBps & it looks jolly good on YouTube.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kelvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kelvin,

I know that you can create custom profiles in the file tab using the Windows Media Profile Editor, but I can't find my custom profiles on the youtube upload tab, I only can find my custom profiles on the file WMV profile type.

This is where you should be able to find the YouTube WMV file that you can add or edit. The YouTube profiles are the highlighted files within the folder. Those are the ones used by Power Director when you select the YouTube tab and upload through PD8. Be careful not to change the first part of the name of the file...specifically "YouTube_16_9_" this is how PD8 loads the profile into the drop-down list.

This is how they will appear when you select the YouTube tab and you are working with a 16:9 project.

Also, I have black bars at the top and at the bottom. I would say the aspect ratio of my videos are 16:9 already. My problem now is making it widescreen (no black bars on top, bottom, left & right).

Yes it appears that the videos you are using may be in wide screen, but it sounds like your "Project settings" in PD are set to 4:3, so this is why you are seeing the black bars in the preview window as well as the final video on YouTube.
To change your "Project Aspact Ratio" settings...do this.....Open PD8....click on the Directors Chair Icon.....select EDIT.....then select Aspect Ratio.....change the setting from 4:3 to 16:9.....that PROBABLY will fix your problem. If your video files are NOT true 16:9 video clips you may still get black bars.

Regards,

Kevin

Yup, after doing all that, I still do get black bars on the top and at the bottom. Weirdly, everytime I drag my videos to the timeline, it will prompt me 2 boxes:

1. Aspect Ratio Conflict - The aspect ratio of clip which you drag to workspace is (4:3). Your project setting is (16:9).
It is highly recommended that you change your project aspect ratio setting to (4:3). Do you want to change it now?

First of all, if my aspect ratio is 4:3, I should have black bars on the left and right sides, not on the top and the bottom. Weird, o.o. If I press OK, it won't prompt me to the 2nd box but I'll still get black bars on the top and at the bottom. If I press No, I would get a second box.

2. TV Format Conflict - The clips you dragged to the workspace contain one or more video clips with a (PAL) TV Format. Your preferred TV Format setting is (NTSC). CyberLink PowerDirector will convert the clip, but the resulting video quality may be degraded. It is highly recommended that you use only video clips with the same TV format in a project.

If I click cancel, the box will just close and the video won't be dragged to the timeline. If I click OK, it would drag the video to the timeline BUT this time, rather than just the black bars on top and bottom, the clip would be in TV-like size. (Bigger black bars on all sides with the clip in the center, thats what I meant by TV-like size.)

Does this give you any hints on making my videos widescreen?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kelvin -

Personally, I have those warnings switched off in Preferences. I know what the videos are (AR & TV format) & I don't need to be reminded.

If you're importing a 4:3 clip into a 16:9 project, drop it in the timeline then right click on it to select Set Aspect Ratio. Generally the Crop or CLPV options work well. There won't be any more black bars!

There's a little tutorial that deals with this at http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/1/jXG2jDTHyKw (it deals with a few other things too).

Hope that helps -

Tony
Kelvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kelvin -

Personally, I have those warnings switched off in Preferences. I know what the videos are (AR & TV format) & I don't need to be reminded.

If you're importing a 4:3 clip into a 16:9 project, drop it in the timeline then right click on it to select Set Aspect Ratio. Generally the Crop or CLPV options work well. There won't be any more black bars!

There's a little tutorial that deals with this at http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/1/jXG2jDTHyKw (it deals with a few other things too).

Hope that helps -

Tony

Where do you find preferences to switch off the warnings?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Alt + C

or Director's Chair > Edit > Preferences > Confirmation

Cheers - Tony
Kelvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Alt + C

or Director's Chair > Edit > Preferences > Confirmation

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for your help people who have posted here!
Terry SE NSW
Newbie Location: NSW, Australia Joined: Jan 28, 2010 02:07 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin,
This query is directed specifically to you. I notice that in your drop-down menu you have an YouTube profile that is "...FULL HD Quality"
What video bit rate did you use for this profile and do you ever have a need to use it?
Just curious and thanks for any details.
Terry
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Kevin,
This query is directed specifically to you. I notice that in your drop-down menu you have an YouTube profile that is "...FULL HD Quality"
What video bit rate did you use for this profile and do you ever have a need to use it?
Just curious and thanks for any details.
Terry

Actually this profile is set to a resolution of 1920X1080 @ a bitrate of 6,000Kbps, so it falls inbetween two of the profiles I made. If I am uploading a video with lots of visual detail I use the 8,000Kbps, which is about half of what my camera shoots (17,000Kbps) and I have been pretty happy with the results. So, no I haven't used that profile much, I like the higher bitrate. Here is an example of the results from the 8,000Kbps profile:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pkwentworth?feature=mhw4#p/u/3/eTdKRv8mVy8

I hope this answered your question,

Kevin
Terry SE NSW
Newbie Location: NSW, Australia Joined: Jan 28, 2010 02:07 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin for the information. I was just interested in what you consider to be Full HD Quality.
Terry