Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Creation in PowerDirector 6
Zach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2007 11:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I've asked this question before, and have done some searching in these forums, but I'm trying to find out the detailed capabilities of menu creation in Power Director 6. I saw some others were asking too, and have just decided to start a topic on the subject of Menus.

For example: I would like to be able to have a "multi-tiered" menu; AKA: "multi-layered" menu. What that means (because many people ask) is that just like on a commercial DVD, you pop it in, and you have a "MAIN" menu... which may have options listed like "BONUS FEATURES" or "SCENE SELECTION", etc. Lets say you select "BONUS FEATURES" and it takes you to another menu where you can select the bonus feature to watch.

I don't have much experience with PD but I have tried the trial version of Version 5, and it does NOT seem to have this capability. It lets you have like, 3 menus and even then, they all seem to be linear, without linking capabilities... unless I'm missing something or unless the trial version is THAT limited in its features.

(Another question on the subject)
Is there a way to get rid of the annoying "chapter #" next to the menu scenes? What stinks, is that on a 3 page menu, if you have four chapters per menu, each chapter is numbered 1-4, along with whatever name you've created for each, but then on page two of the menu, again, they are labeled 1-4...shouldn't they be numbered 5-8??? Or better yet, gone altogether would be the preference. But I can't select those numbers or delete them from the menu screen.

Thanks for insight, much appreciated!
-Zach

kjbflygirl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Mar 23, 2007 12:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, PD6 does not have menu layering capabilities. I already contacted tech support about this. They told me that Power Director 6 does not support menu layering, but Power Producer 4 does. If menu layering is that important for you to have, I would definitely download the trial version of PP4 and play with that A LOT before you go to buy... PP4 has limitations itself. I found that out the hard way.

As for your second question, I don't know about the numbers. I've never been able to get rid of them or change them.
Peter B. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld. Australia Joined: Apr 07, 2007 21:13 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is a Cyberlink forum but you might also want to look at DVD Workshop from another LEADing Multimedia company. It will do everything you want. I use it for all my DVD authoring & haven't found any limitations. You can have text or video (still or moving) links to any number of other videos or other menus plus set up play lists that tell it which video to play after one is finished. Very easy & all drag and drop.

Power Director is great for video editing but the DVD authoring is pretty basic. Enough to do simple stuff but too limited for me. It's probably a bit much to ask to have 2 great programs in 1.
Warner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2007 11:32 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
As PP4 has been mentioned. Will this also solve my problem that every menu I have produced up to now does not actually work as a menu. That is, the different chapter titles all show, the motion happens, the music plays and then the darn thing starts playing at the beginning. I have absolutely no control over selecting a chapter or saying when to start playing the produced movie; nothing works.

Would using PP4 allow me to produce a USABLE menu, do you think?

Terry
[Post New]
I have the same problem with PDR6 where the menu does not loop and I have mentioned it before in this forum.
I understand that Cyberlink are working on a fix for this as it somewhat defeats the purpose of a menu.
Dont hold your breath though. I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
Warner [Avatar]
[Post New]
It beggars belief that a company such as this can release a new version of its software that kills the correct functioning of one of its major parts.

What happened to beta testing?

Why doesn't there seem to be anyone from the company checking through these forums and coming up with some explanations for all its loyal customers out there who have trusted them by parting with their money?

The so-called 'help' that one gets from the support section is almost an insult with its simpering repeated apologies and sometimes ridiculous suggestions. I was even told that the reason I was having the problems I'd described to them was that there was a conflict with my operating system and that its complete re installation was the only answer. No, I didn't do it and I'm afraid I was rather rude to them!.

Has anyone actually tried to communicate directly with customer relations through all of its complex choices, none of which ever match your actual problem.

"How do I get a refund" would be an excellent addition to the Q & A section.

Rant over; now back to struggling with the menu.

Terry
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Terry,

I've sent you some suggestions on whom to contact, please do so. Bring to CyberLink's attention your feedback - they should react.

The latest build for PD6 is 1731b and that is now available.

Dafydd
Warner [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Dafydd. I've sent a PM to 'Cyberlink'

Terry
Georg (VI)
Senior Contributor Location: Korschenbroich / Deutschland Joined: Mar 18, 2007 09:27 Messages: 1309 Offline
[Post New]
The latest build for PD6 is 1731b and that is now available.

Where I can find it? Viele Gruesse Georg
[Post New]
How can I tell what "Build" I have and are future build versions "freely" available if I already have PDR6?
thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 21. 2007 01:07

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
Georg (VI)
Senior Contributor Location: Korschenbroich / Deutschland Joined: Mar 18, 2007 09:27 Messages: 1309 Offline
[Post New]
You finde the build-number under Help - PowerDirectro Info in the first field (6.00.1604a).

At this moment where two patches avaible: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_4_ENU.html
and I hope we finde the next update also here. Viele Gruesse Georg