Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 keeps trying to recover a project every time it launches
MikeB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: May 17, 2009 23:05 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
This has been happening for about a week now and I am not sure what caused it.
I am using PD8 ver2704

Every time PD8 launches it gives a message that says:

Cyberlink PowerDirector found a temporary file that may be the project file automatically saved last time.
Do you want to recover the project and open it?

If I say no, the message goes away and PD8 works like normal.
The next time I launch the program it asks the same question.

If I say yes, PD8 shows all the files from a recent project and then I save as and give it a name.
The next time I launch the program it asks the same question.

Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening besides re-installing the program which I am getting sick and tired of doing.

Mike
[Thumb - PD8Error.JPG]
 Filename
PD8Error.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
197 time(s)
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
The only thing I can think of at the moment is do you have the option clicked "Open last project when starting PD." My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
MikeB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: May 17, 2009 23:05 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I do not have the "Open last project when starting PD." turned on.

But I am now curious as to what will happen when I turn it back on!

Thank you for that idea!
MikeB [Avatar]
[Post New]
After turning on the Open last Project option it still asks to recover the same other project and then open the last project after I answer Yes or No to the question.

A .jpg of my screen shot is attached to my first message if anyone wants to look at the official message.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Mike,
To circumvent the pop up message and to correct the situation please go and find the AutoSave files and either remove them or cut and save.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#41704
The error was triggered by a crash and PD is trying to recover the situation.

Dafydd
MikeB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I moved all of the files in the AutoSave folder to another for safe keeping.

Problem solved,
PD8 now launches without prompting me to recover the project anymore.

I doesn't seem to me that the average user should have to worry about finding the hidden folder and deleting the files in it. PD8 was prompting me to recover but either answer Yes or No didn't appear to do the right thing.
In conclusion, I think there is another bug that may never get fixed in PowerDirector.

Thank you for your help!

Mike
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,
I came across a similar issue previously. I found the issue was triggered when ones PC crashes. This perhaps coincides with the autosave of the pds project. The incomplete file then triggers the standard response from PD8 (when reopened) to open a previous project, except the project wasn't saved correctly. Bam... the circle starts.

I agree it isn't brilliant to advise going to hidden folder etc - but it was the answer to resolve the issue here.

This isn't a bug as such because it's been triggered by a PC "event".

Look for the latest patch update - 3022 it should be out soon.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2010 14:37

pastelskies [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ontario, California Joined: Jul 22, 2013 01:02 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Ahhh, took awhile to find this hidden folder. For me, I copied this URL below into my windows explorer window that showed everything to then delete. Relief! Thank you so much for help getting of of this error.

C:\Users\Ruth\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\AutoSave\

This path was found in wrench icon > Project
GollyRojer
Newbie Location: Dallas TX Joined: May 05, 2016 14:10 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Six years later, PowerDirector 14, and this still happens. I came here seeking a solution for the same problem of always asking on startup. Pastelskies has the file path that worked for me, with the usual personal name edit. That path is found by going to the edit menu, Preferences, Project, and under the checkbox "Auto save project every".