Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newley installed GeForce GTS250 Crashes PD8 immediatley
Clark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 20, 2008 11:50 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Forum,

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Mobo
i7-920, 8 core @ 2.67Ghz CPU
6GB OCZ Gold triple channel DDR3 RAM
Zotac GeForce GTS250 1GB GPU
Windows 7 64bit.
PD8 from CD with 2704 patch.

After being able to run PD8 with my previous graphics card (ATI HD4670) I installed this Gefore GTS250 but not before removing the card, uninstalling CCC and using nasty file remover to remove the left over drivers. I was confident that all remminents of ATI had gone.

I have installed the latest GeForce drivers (257.21 for win 7 64).

Every time I launch PD8 is immediatley crashes. I only see that gorgeous girl holding the camcorder before windows pops up and says its stopped working and windows is searching for a solution. Whilst she is very pleasant to look at, she barely has time to materialise before crashing.

Any one seen this before or got any ideas? Please dont tell me I should re-install Win 7?

Best regards

Clark

Footnote: I have uninstalled and reinstalled PD8 twice now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2010 17:21

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have onboard graphics that you could try temporarily? I have had nVidia and ATI drivers both installed and it never caused a crash, but that has been a few years, so I don't know how things may have changed since then.

Try starting in safe mode and see if PD will open. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Clark;
There is a new update for PD8 (build 3518 ). According to the moderator (Dafydd) it should be available on the site this Friday. I say try this update. Nvidia cards are usually pretty solid, and this is a newer HD card

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 24. 2010 22:35

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Good thinking Fred!

The other thing known to cause issues after an installation (with some users, on some machines) has been the need to re-install QuickTime.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

IMHO it's not the GTS250 causing the problem.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I tend to agree with you Tony...The video card is usually not a root cause, but it never hurts to install the latest patch of PD8!

P.S. - Clark :
Whilst she is very pleasant to look at, she barely has time to materialise before crashing.

When you get PD8 to start, you can still see her in HELP, ABOUT POWERDIRECTOR

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2010 23:36

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
If you look really closely, you'll see why she's smiling...

Completely Anonymous

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2010 00:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Clark [Avatar]
[Post New]
LOL, Love it tony!

I'd done the quicktime install late last night with no difference but will have another look at the other ideas tonight.

Will let you know how i get on.

Clark
Bob50 [Avatar]
Member Location: Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2008 23:40 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
Update for PD8?........Build 3518?............Friday? Windows Vista™ Home Premium
HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ Processor: 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 3068MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
Panasonic SDC-HD9 AVCHD
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Windows 7 and previous versions have a program called SFC.exe. This stands for "System File Checker" and is useful for repairing windows 7.

First, make sure you have a backup of your system and the Win7 installation CD media available.

Go to a command prompt by clicking the start button, typing CMD, then press enter.

Type the following command, SFC /VERIFYONLY, then press enter. Windows will check out all your critical files and make sure everything is OK without harming your system.

If problems are detected, you will need to repeat the process using the command, SFC /SCANNOW which will attempt to make the necessary repairs.

This process can take some time, possibly hours depending on your system.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then it wasn't a windows problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2010 18:25

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
Now Bobby...don't start drooling all over the screen!!

It is my understanding that there is a new update for PD8 that will be out almost immediately.I saw a mention of it somewhere else on the forum. Should be this weekend, but Dafydd can say for sure when he reads this and gets a moment to reply!
Bob50 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hope it's not you Californians just spinnng a yarn! I've been holding my breath on this upgrade hoping it's going to fix the panasonic camera issues. Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Panasonic SDC-HD9 AVCHD
[Post New]
The build for the patch is actually 3015 NOT 3518 (my error)..... Here are a couple of links to posts about the forthcoming update (I don't tease very much):
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/preList/11903/54377.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/preList/11811/53958.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2010 21:08

Bob50 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fred, will see what turns up Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Panasonic SDC-HD9 AVCHD
David Laine [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2009 15:26 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Clark;
There is a new update for PD8 (build 3518 ). According to the moderator (Dafydd) it should be available on the site this Friday.

Hi all

Does anyone know what the update does and when it will be downloadable?

Dave
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
You'll be now looking for patch 3022.

Issues Resolved
1. Program's titles are highlighted with a grey line during scrolling after producing.
2. Error message pops up during disc burning.
3. Program sometimes becomes unresponsive during splash windows.
4. Program stalls when objects from DirectorZone are applied.
5. In video effects room, the Rain effect is applied for only 20 seconds, no matter what the chosen effect length is.

a) You can wait a few days for the patch to come out.
b) You could contact Customer Support and ask for the latest full build - ensure you have proof of purchase. https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

What you decide is up to you of course but I'd suggest you just wait a little while. There was a hiccup in release builds (3015 became 3022) and the patch has been delayed.

I hope my information has helped, I'm sure you're eager still to get the latest release.

Dafydd
David Laine [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2009 15:26 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I did contact CS I got a link for 3015 that was time expired I got it 30/06 it ended on 27/06 so that was no good

I have sent another support ticket here's hoping

Dave
Clark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Fourm,

Well I think I have found out what may have been the root cause. User error!
Whilst trying to get to the bottom of my graphics card issue "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" I stripped down the services in msconfig (CRVS and the MUI start Menu). I'm sure it was this however after reinstating them (and reboots etc...) it still didnt work but I do suspect this may have started the crashing.

I ended up reinstalling Win7 from scatch and buying a new graphics card. That sorted it

Best regards

Clark

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 30. 2010 16:30

heinzb58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 08:42 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
The new Patch 3022 is avaiable in the downloadzone from Cyberlink http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz