Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How long to render a five minute video?
JMM55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2023 02:05 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to export/render a rough draft of a video but I find the render stats confusing. I started and aborted twice because it was taking a long time. Roughly how long should it take to render a five minute mpeg-4 at 1920x1080 30fps?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Should be no more than 5 minutes on a modern pc for h.264 or maybe close to being forever for h.265 encoding on a pc without the necessary hardware gpu encoder.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am trying to export/render a rough draft of a video but I find the render stats confusing. I started and aborted twice because it was taking a long time. Roughly how long should it take to render a five minute mpeg-4 at 1920x1080 30fps?

With the signature PC and the previous one with only 8 cores, simple editing takes about the same time as the video in the timeline, I always export in fullhd 60p.
Editing with many effects-filled beans can double the time or more.
If the HA option is available, it can speed up the producer time by about 50% in MPEG5 on Win 11Pro.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am trying to export/render a rough draft of a video but I find the render stats confusing. I started and aborted twice because it was taking a long time. Roughly how long should it take to render a five minute mpeg-4 at 1920x1080 30fps?

Hi,

Apart from the capabilities, spec and configuration of your system, which will have a significant bearing on your export times, the content of your timeline and the edits you have applied may be the most critical factor.

For example:
I took the mountainbiker sample clip, duplicated multiple copies to produce a 5min timeline video, and produced it to H264 1920x1080 16Mbps - a standard profile. Render time 31 secs.

I then applied some color adjustments - saturation, exposure, and sharpness - to the timeline. Produced to the same profile. Render time 1:22.

I then applied a box cross transition to all clips in the the timeline, Same profile. Render time 1:54.

I took the original 5 min produced video (no adjustments or transitions) and re-rendered it using SVRT. Same profile. Render time 20secs,

I then applied AI style painting effect to the same 5 min video. Same profile, Render time 11:35.

So, although this is just a quick and dirty example of how timeline content and edits, on the same system, influence render times, it does serve to illustrate the problem of "comparative render times", when trying to troubleshoot performance issues.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JMM55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2023 02:05 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies. Before one exports, do you have to mark the end of the video somehow, or does the program know that the end of the last scene is in fact the ending?