Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Waveform on the timeline is not correct after editing the audio in Audio Editor or Audio Director
Treysvideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2017 20:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
The Waveform on the timeline is not correct after editing the audion in Audio Editor or Audio Director.

I often go into Audio Editor or Audio Director Directly from the timeline to bump the level a bit and when the edited audio returns to the timeline the waveform is incorrect. It sounds find and is in sync with the video but the auctual graphic of the waveform is not showing correctly. I can right click and select regenerate waveform and it still looks the same. The graphic waveform of the peaks and valleys are in the wrong place but the audio is correct. This has remained even with the latest updates to PD. I use PD 365 Directors Suite.

Thanks,

Trey

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2023 03:21

Trey
In His Grip! ><>
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think this is a new issue. The waveforms in PD have always been crude approximations, with the data actually stored as text characters rather than any kind of true waveform.

As a test, I took the old Skateboard sample clip and used the Audio Editor in both PD17 and PD365 and compared the resulting waveform to an original copy placed on the track below.

As you can see in the screenshot, the new waveform has significant distortions where the volume is loudest - for some reason there are many negative-only peaks when they were symmetrical in the original. Also the timing of the edited clip has shifted ahead by about one and a half seconds

I don't know whether Cyberlink will fix the issue or not, but it's worth reporting it directly to them. You can reach their tech support here.