Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issue with GoPro footage
matthew MJB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2019 18:50 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
When trying to apply the Interpolation setting after I slow down GoPro footage Power Director always crashes.

I'm not sure what model the Gopro is, I did not shoot the footage, but the file properties are below.

File: MP4
Video format:HEVC
Resolution:2160X3840
Frame rate 119.88fps
Frame type:progressive

It only happens on gopro footage, is this a known issue?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 27. 2023 02:20

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Your description indicates one of the recent models of the GoPro. Would like to have a 5 to 10 sec. Sample clip recorded of the same description attached on your next reply to check out on my system.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As tomasc requested, please upload a short clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and post a publicly-sharable link here.

It would also help to see the technical details of your computer. Follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide to attach the DxDiag test results.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi matthew MJB -

I shot a few clips today on my GoPro 10, with settings that match what you've described (MediaInfo attached).

HEVC - 3840x2160 - 119.880fps - 99.6Mbps

I tried to replicate your issue, but couldn't in PDR21. The speed settings I used matched those shown in the Video Speed settings info, under Interpolation Setting info (see attached screenshot). You didn't mention what speed you adjusted your clip to. Did it match the ones shown in the screenshot? If not, that may be part of the problem.

For anyone who'd like to test, you can download this GoPro clip. Don't expect to see a 70 year old snowboarding, skating or BMX riding (!)

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR_VidSpeed settings i.jpg]
 Filename
PDR_VidSpeed settings i.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
431 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
 Filename
GX010041.MP4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the clip, Tony! I also don't see any issues with applying interpolation or when producing the slowed-down clip in PD365, so I think OP's DxDiag test results will hold some important clues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2023 14:54

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It would be nice if OP provide some exact steps. I'm not even sure how to replicate what was stated as it states "apply the Interpolation setting after I slow down". I'm not sure how you do it after the slowdown, I'm only aware of two spots with an interpolation setting, Video Speed and Action Camera.

At least OP could use Tony's clip to see if issue repeats so then others could verify with proper steps.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tested the GoPro clip supplied by Tony. Slowed a range of the 12 second clip down and using the interpolation technology and produced it with no problem.

This being a short uhd 4k 120 fps clip required no shadow files. I normally use shadow files for editing my GoPro 4K 60 fps videos in the past. The codec must have been improved.
matthew MJB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your description indicates one of the recent models of the GoPro. Would like to have a 5 to 10 sec. Sample clip recorded of the same description attached on your next reply to check out on my system.

Hi Tomasc

Sorry I didnt see your reply here is a clip.

I tried again to reduce the speed by 0.250 and apply interpolation again.

The frame rate in the project is 25fps.

thank you.
 Filename
GX011259.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
87927 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I tried again to reduce the speed by 0.250 and apply interpolation again.

The frame rate in the project is 25fps.

thank you.

Nothing to do with GoPro source, PD21 can't do interpolation with 9:16 video source.

As a workaround you can produce your clip in a 16:9 frame, keeping fps and near quality, and then do frame interpolation with this as source. If your end project is 9:16, you can zoom in on the 16:9 frame to 9:16 prior to video speed adjustment.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2023 08:38

matthew MJB [Avatar]
[Post New]

Nothing to do with GoPro source, PD21 can't do interpolation with 9:16 video source.

As a workaround you can produce your clip in a 16:9 frame, keeping fps and near quality, and then do frame interpolation with this as source. If your end project is 9:16, you can zoom in on the 16:9 frame to 9:16 prior to video speed adjustment.

Jeff

Hey thanks Jeff,

I will try flipping it to 16.9 and see how that works out thank you again.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Nothing to do with GoPro source, PD21 can't do interpolation with 9:16 video source.

What's the reference for this? There's no warning that you're attempting to do something problematic. No graying-out of interpolation, or even simply not applying that option if it was previously selected but now you're trying to use it on a 9:16 clip, PD happily accepts the request then dives into oblivion yell
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well, that's got me!

When I read mathew MJB's first post, I took the "2160x3840" to be a typo. Not so. embarassed

Anyway - I've just discovered the Orientation Lock on the GoPro & shot a few 9:16 clips... then followed the same steps I'd used previously:

1. Import clip into a 9:16 project
  2. Adjust video speed to 0.25
  3. Check frame interpolation option in settings - Apply
  4. Return to timeline - check playback
  5. Produce to standard 9:16 profile

Next, I tested the same procedure on some 9:16 clips from different phones. No issues that I can see.

When trying to apply the Interpolation setting after I slow down GoPro footage Power Director always crashes.

In my testing PDR21 didn't show a hint of balking at the task, let alone crashing. Nor did it throw up any alerts that what I was attempting was inappropriate.

Jeff - I've been scratching around in the help file & I can't find any reference to frame interpolation not applying to 9:16 videos. Could you please give me a poke in the right direction?

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
OK - I'll have to eat my words (above) embarassed

With the 9:16 videos tested, when I step through the produced files frame-by-frame there is NO frame interpolation evident... just 4x the same frame. There are no intermediate frames generated.

That is not the case with the 16:9 clips.

As you were laughing

Cheers - Tony
optodata
[Post New]
Very strange, as I can't get past clicking on OK in the Video Speed tool if I've set it to 0.25x with the Interpolation box checked when using OP's clip. I get the timeline view back with the clip at the original length, then PD365 completely hangs instead of adjusting the duration. PD17 shows the same behavior.

If Interpolation is unchecked, everything works fine in both versions
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That 9:16 video is going to require shadow files to be enabled in my system whereas the 16:9 one worked properly without them.
ynotfish
[Post New]
optodata -

I've been using PDR21 (perpetual) in my testing. Haven't tried it in PDR365. Maybe I'll do that & see if there's any different outcome.

I got the same results using matthew MJB's clip as the others I'd previously tested. (side-by-side MediaInfo attached).

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Clips Medi Info.jpg]
 Filename
Clips Medi Info.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
704 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2023 20:15

ynotfish
[Post New]
I tested the process using matthew MJB's clip in PDR365, without a hitch. PDR did what was asked of it (except applying frame interpolation).

Cheers - Tony
optodata
[Post New]
On my system, which now has PD365 v21.5.3001, the only way to prevent PD from hanging after reducing the video speed with the Interpolation box checked is to disable hardware decoding.

Once that was done, I could produce the clip and every single frame is different - so interpolation seems to be working properly now with this 9:16 clip. Download the produced video from here and see for yourselves. It's buttery smooth at 30fps.

matthew MJB, go to Preferences | Hardware Acceleration and uncheck the Hardware Decoding box. I produced using NVENC hardware encoding, so the issue is only on the hardware decoding side.

This issue should be reported to CL
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Once that was done, I could produce the clip and every single frame is different - so interpolation seems to be working properly now with this 9:16 clip. Download the produced video from here and see for yourselves. It's buttery smooth at 30fps.

You might want to have another look at interpolation, try 0.20 video speed which also supports interpolation, you will see the last two frames 4 and 5 are the same and simply duplicated. 0.25 works as source is 119.88fps. No interpolation is done.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What's the reference for this? There's no warning that you're attempting to do something problematic. No graying-out of interpolation, or even simply not applying that option if it was previously selected but now you're trying to use it on a 9:16 clip, PD happily accepts the request then dives into oblivion yell

optodata, like most things, does a reference exist for:
1) Variable bitrate MP3 files not working properly
2) Highly variable fps video not working properly
3) Highly variable bitrate video not working properly
4) Hardware decoding not working properly
5) Hardware encoding not working properly
6) Timeline preview render not working properly

Just to name a few, I think you get the point, the reference you ask of is like most PD things, just user experience, that’s all. After all, is not the stated forum objective to “Share your knowledge and experiences of video editing with PowerDirector 21“. If you want a reference on what interpolation technique PD uses and what exact video’s are supported, contacting CL for an answer would be suggested, good luck with an appropriate answer! In the meantime, it’s just users sharing what they have observed, I’ve never seen 9:16 interpolation work for me yet, hence the statement. The workaround I provided has worked for me at times. Always welcome being proved wrong though, everyone gains.

Jeff