Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.mkv video format
hardcore_gamer29 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2021 00:54 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
I just subscribed to pD 365 but sadly it is not able to support audio of .mkv video file. I can see video plays fine but without audio. What should i do? any way?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just subscribed to pD 365 but sadly it is not able to support audio of .mkv video file. I can see video plays fine but without audio. What should i do? any way?

Post the details of the file from https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline so one can see which audio format is contained in the mkv file.

Change what ever created the mkv to a supported audio format or use a format conversion utility like HandBrake to create a compatible file of similar resolution and quality.

Jeff
[Post New]

Post the details of the file from https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline so one can see which audio format is contained in the mkv file.

Change what ever created the mkv to a supported audio format or use a format conversion utility like HandBrake to create a compatible file of similar resolution and quality.

Jeff

i dont want to loose quality as it is true 4k uhd original disk quality and i want to upload as it is
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i dont want to loose quality as it is true 4k uhd original disk quality and i want to upload as it is

You didn't provide any of the requested audio details so a little difficult to just guess my response. If the mkv file has DTS audio, PD21 will add that to the timeline with no errors, it simply won't load any audio with it, the audio track will be blank in the timeline.

To upload, somewhere, not sure why you need PD at all.

If you want to edit this file in PD21, you have no choice but to convert the audio, if in fact it is DTS or some other unsupported format and this is the lack of audio issue. One does not need to necessarily loose quality.

Jeff
[Post New]

You didn't provide any of the requested audio details so a little difficult to just guess my response. If the mkv file has DTS audio, PD21 will add that to the timeline with no errors, it simply won't load any audio with it, the audio track will be blank in the timeline.

To upload, somewhere, not sure why you need PD at all.

If you want to edit this file in PD21, you have no choice but to convert the audio, if in fact it is DTS or some other unsupported format and this is the lack of audio issue. One does not need to necessarily loose quality.

Jeff

audio is most probably dts master audio or dts x. I want to trim full movie and make clips out of it. i dont know how to do this with PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 23. 2023 11:11

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi hardcore_gamer29 -

Have you tried Jeff's suggestion of converting the MKV with Handbrake? It's probably the only viable option.

I grabbed a sample MKV with DTS audio & PDR couldn't read the audio, as has been suggested. After transcoding with Handbrake to MP4 with AAC audio, I'm now able to edit fully in PDR.

The side-by-side Media Info reports are attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MediaInfo -MKV-MP4.jpg]
 Filename
MediaInfo -MKV-MP4.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
914 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!