Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 21 error.
iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All. I have been using PD16 for about 5 years and just purchased and installed PD21. When I boot the new install, looks perfect but, when I try to open a project, (full list is still visable) I get the message "not compatible, project was written by an older version of power director" If I boot to PD16, everthing works properly. I have not YET tried to build a new project with PD21. Any suggestion please.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2023 03:10

iammykyl
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi All. I have been using PD16 for about 5 years and just purchased and installed PD21. When I boot the new install, looks perfect but, when I try to open a project, (full list is still visable) I get the message "not compatible, project was written by an older version of power director" If I boot to PD16, everthing works properly. I have not YET tried to build a new project with PD21. Any suggestion please.

Some users have claimed that pds project files are upward compatible, like here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77296.page#post_box_316326, I've mentioned multiple times that they are not as seen and shown in that link. It looks like perhaps CL added a new warning. What options does it provide? Past behavior is that it usually loads the project but the timeline may not be as it existed in the older version.

I'd work with a copy of your original pds so you don't ever create an issue that your original file can no longer be opened at all by the old version which will occur once you save. It's a manual headache to revert a pds to be compatible with older version again.

Is your product PD21 perpetual or PD365 subscription?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2023 20:34

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi All. I have been using PD16 for about 5 years and just purchased and installed PD21. When I boot the new install, looks perfect but, when I try to open a project, (full list is still visable) I get the message "not compatible, project was written by an older version of power director" If I boot to PD16, everthing works properly. I have not YET tried to build a new project with PD21. Any suggestion please.

Hi,
As Jeff said, the exact version of PDR would be important.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97579.page#post_box_392512

I certainly haven't come across that message before, I have just opened a couple of projects from 2009 and 2011 and had no issues, other than browsing to resources and assets in those projects.

A screenshot of the error message would be useful. Assuming this issue arises with all old project files, I would recommend raising a support ticket and see if official support can shed any light on the problem.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2023 10:16

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, thanks for your time. Unable to recreate the error. Ran PD16 > oened project and made changes > saved. Ran PD21 . Opened the same project > made changes > saved. Ran PD16 again, Opened the same project, changes had been made and saved. Performed the sme tasks in reverse. PD21 works corectly, no errors.
Michael. iammykyl
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, thanks for your time. Unable to recreate the error. Ran PD16 > oened project and made changes > saved. Ran PD21 . Opened the same project > made changes > saved. Ran PD16 again, Opened the same project, changes had been made and saved. Performed the sme tasks in reverse. PD21 works corectly, no errors.
Michael.

Your description makes it sound like PD16 opened a project saved in PD21, absolutely no way.

Glad whatever your issue or error was that it is okay now.

Jeff
iammykyl [Avatar]
[Post New]

Your description makes it sound like PD16 opened a project saved in PD21, absolutely no way.

Glad whatever your issue or error was that it is okay now.

Jeff

Seems to be the case, creating a project in PD21 and trying to open it in PD16 then I get the error, other way around, PD16 saved project opens OK in PD21 iammykyl
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Seems to be the case, creating a project in PD21 and trying to open it in PD16 then I get the error, other way around, PD16 saved project opens OK in PD21

You get an error, but not the error you mentioned in your OP. You stated, "not compatible, project was written by an older version of power director" . This error states "This project was created in a newer version of Cyberlink PowerDirector and is not supported by the current version.".

The error message reference to older or newer version is very relevant.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD_Version_Error.PNG]
 Filename
PD_Version_Error.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)